Go Back   FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Loyalty Programs > Hilton | Hilton HHonors
Sign in using an external account

Old Feb 14, 10, 6:57 am   #1

Programs: UA 1K HHonors Gold
Munich or Prague

I'm going to the Czech Republic and Germany on Vacation this summer. I have enough hh points for 3 free nights in a category 5. Which place should I use my points for? Hilton Munich Park or Hilton Prague? My other stays will be at less expensive hotels.

Thanks,

Mike
mburk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14, 10, 7:00 am   #2

Location: Chapel Hill, NC - UA Nobody (sigh)/0.918MM, HHonors Diamond
Quote:
Originally Posted by mburk View Post
I'm going to the Czech Republic and Germany on Vacation this summer. I have enough hh points for 3 free nights in a category 5. Which place should I use my points for? Hilton Munich Park or Hilton Prague? My other stays will be at less expensive hotels.

Thanks,

Mike
Hilton Prague is likely to be more expensive, so you'd get a lot of value using points for it. And if you have status, the lounge at the Hilton Prague is arguably the best in Europe.
Chapel Hill Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14, 10, 7:02 am   #3
Suspended

Both are quite decent hotels.
After you finalise your itinerary I would use the points at the hotel where the rates are highest for the days I want to stay if its case of either or then I would stay at the Hilton Prague especially if you are likely to get lounge access.. the lounge IMHO is one of Hiltons best in Europe.

mike

After seing CHG's post its rare that two Ftakers agree on just about any topic
MIKESILV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14, 10, 7:20 am   #4

Programs: MR Plat, SPG Gold
While MUC is a very wonderful city, PRG is much more interesting. I had the opportunity to stay on the Hilton PRG club level last summer and the location is pretty good and the club lounge was one of the best that I have ever experienced anywhere. It is just massive and they have excellent service and food/beverage offerings. He was Diamond and I am not familiar with Hilton enough to know if your gold status will get you in?

I have made several trips to both cities and I suggest PRG, hands down.

If your post was just to compare hotel value, I have not experienced the MUC Hilton.
jadedinsider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14, 10, 7:51 am   #5

Programs: UA 1K HHonors Gold
Thanks guys,

I'm HH Gold so I do get lounge access. We are flying into Prague and out of Munich. I'm spending 3 days in each city plus 4 days in Brno in between. How is the location of Hilton Prague for getting around the city for touristy stuff?

Thanks again,

Mike
mburk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14, 10, 8:22 am   #6

Programs: AA EXP and 5 MM, BA Gold, PC Ambassador, HH Diamond
Hilton Prague is a 5-10 minute cab or 20- 30 minute walk from the tourist area.

It is a nice hotel with a good lounge so worth it.

There is a second Hilton property (Old Town) that is marginally better located but not as nice.
pauleeepaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14, 10, 8:29 am   #7
cjd

Quote:
Thanks guys,

I'm HH Gold so I do get lounge access. We are flying into Prague and out of Munich. I'm spending 3 days in each city plus 4 days in Brno in between. How is the location of Hilton Prague for getting around the city for touristy stuff?

Thanks again,

Mike
I agree that Hilton Prague is a very nice hotel with one of the best Exec lounges around. Also, just a pleasant 10 - 15 minute walk into the city. However, just be aware that access to the Exec lounge is not guaranteed for Golds. It is subject to you being given an Executive room. If not given an Exec room, they are only obliged to give you breakfast in the restaurant. Hopefully you will be lucky as it is a massive hotel.
Old Feb 14, 10, 9:21 am   #8

Location: Frankfurt a.M. - Germany / HH Diamond / LH SEN / DL Gold / KL Gold / Starwood Gold / IC Platinum Ambassador
Prague Read my trip report. Feel free to PM for an email contact.
servus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14, 10, 9:28 am   #9

Programs: Various airline, hotel and credit card programs
I have done both last year, PRG 1x, MUC 3x (next one a week from now).
PRG exec. lounge is good but I was not as impressed as the other posters - maybe because I am Czech by birth, speak the language fluently and know the culture?

PRG Hilton (the original one) is located ok but it is not the greatest area considering how beautiful the city is overall (Prague I).

I love MUC, DRS, VIE and all things German. Is it the "the grass is always greener" elsewhere?

MUC (city) Hilton is right on S8 line from the airport, withing easy walking distance of the old town and with great service and lounge.
Vaclav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14, 10, 10:43 am   #10
Moderator, Air Canada

Programs: AC E75, SPG Plat, HH peon-by-choice (ex Gold)
Use it in PRG.

Pay for the hotel in MUC as hotel prices are ridiculously cheap there.
Braindrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14, 10, 3:26 pm   #11

Programs: UA 1K MM
mburk - You will find there are often trip reports on the HHonors forum of the Hilton hotels you are considering staying at. A discussion of the "Hilton Prague" is here. I stayed at the Prague Hilton last fall and enjoyed my stay there. As HH Gold, I was upgraded to the executive lounge (although of course this is not guaranteed).
restlessinRNO is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14, 10, 10:27 pm   #12

Programs: UA 1K 2MM, Hilton Diamond, Starwood Platinum, Marriott Gold
another vote for Prague

I've stayed at both and would go with Prague. Great lounge
PDX1K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 10, 11:55 am   #13

Programs: Severals Golds (BA, BD, AB and LH), Highest tier with HH, SPG and ICRA, lawyer, sometimes a nice guy
Quote:
I'm HH Gold so I do get lounge access.
If they did not change the rules you only get lounge access if you stay on executive floor. I would not accept a bet that you get executive floor in Munich. They have - in particular in summer - a high load of ME customers paying for executive floor.

Do not feel offended by my posts - remember, I am a simple minded litigation lawyer.
Flying Lawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4, 10, 11:22 pm   #14

Programs: United/CO, AAdvantage, Hilton Diamond , Delta Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott & PC Plat
late Sept 2010

Ok here is the scenario heading to Sweden for work Sunday Sept 19 to Friday Sept 24th. Since I can have work book me a flight back at a later date, I booked an AXON6N 4 night reward for 125,000 points at Hilton Munich City for 9/26/10 to 9/30. The dates of 9/24 & 9/25 weren't available online & I didn't call about a Diamond force.
The rate for 6 nights was $ 1683.42 or $ 280.57 per night - so not that bad of a use of points.

Now here is my thinking, should I go spend a few nights in Prague too ? Would 3 nights be enough time to check things out ? I am thinking just going for the two nights 9/24 & 9/25 may not be enough time. So 5 nights in Sweden for work, then 6 nights in Munich for Oktoberfest & the 3 nights in Prague would equal 14 nights. Some friends are meeting me in Munich & they may be interested in going for 9 nights vs. just 6 nights, as 6 nights may be too short of a trip for the flight from Boston.
kyletrems is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 10, 7:23 am   #15

Programs: Kimpton Inner Circle, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Platinum, PC Platinum Ambassador, UA 1K
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyletrems View Post
Munich for Oktoberfest
For your stated reason, spend as much time as you want in MUC. Otherwise, IMHO 6-9 days is way too long with places such as PRG on your visit list (a side trip to Salzburg might be something to split up your time - no Hilton though).

An FYI: the subway station connects directly to the Hilton in MUC but it is not the easiest to find. This is nice for many reasons but particularly b/c the sidewalk outside is not made for wheeled luggage. I'm sure someone on FT can provide directions

Lastly, the staff at the Hilton MUC is great - you'll enjoy your stay

Enjoy your trip
thegrailer is offline   Reply With Quote