Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Do you feel special being a Diamond Member? NOT ME!

Old Sep 27, 2009, 12:39 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Delta Gold, Marriott Gold

I have just qualified for Diamond Status for next year. That being said in the last few years I have noticed that I rarely recieve ny upgrades and am not greeted as a Diamond Member.

Does anyone else feel that the privilages of Diamond status are not a priority for Hilton.

I feel that it may be time to give Marriott or Sheraton a shot at my business.

What do you think?

Hilton service is going
Old Sep 27, 2009, 12:47 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum, Delta MM; HH Diamond, Starwood Platinum, ICH Platinum Ambassador, Hertz Gold
I think it truly depends on the hotel. Some are delighted to have a diamond and are welcoming; others don't care whatsoever. Overall I think its a pretty good program.
Old Sep 27, 2009, 12:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold, DL SM, HY Disc, Marriott LT Gold
I don't expect to feel special. But I'd say about 60% of the time, the clerk will say something. I tend to stay in the lower end properties (Hampton, HGI, Homewood). At HGIs, I always get my breakfast coupons. At Hamptons, if they have a junior suite type room, I'll get it 75% of the time. At Homewoods, I'll get upgraded from a studio to a 1BR suite 90% of the time.

A couple of times in the last month, I've had Priceline stays at lower Hilton family properties (Homewood and Doubletree), and asked upon arrival to put my HHonors number in for any incidentals. Both times, when the agent has put in the number and noticed that I'm a Diamond, they have said something. One of the two times, I clearly got a better room assignment because of it, and both times, I found complementary bottles of water in my room upon returning from dinner.

My pure Hilton/Conrad stays tend to be at large big city properties, and tend to be award stays needing two beds. So my upgrade rate is much less because many properties do not have two-bed junior suites. But my status is always acknolwedged, and I have never failed to get the appropriate amenities and benefits without asking.
Old Sep 27, 2009, 12:55 pm

Programs: AA PLT 2mm SPG Gold HH Diamond
To me diamond has been great. I have been upgraded every stay without even asking. To me SPG gold has had very little value.
Old Sep 27, 2009, 1:20 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Matre-plongeur des Muccis
^ +1.

Originally Posted by sharklover
To me diamond has been great. I have been upgraded every stay without even asking. To me SPG gold has had very little value.
Old Sep 27, 2009, 1:50 pm

As is said above, its property by property. I've stayed at quite a few of the different chain members and have been treated (for the most part) well at all of them. A few were less than I expect and I brought it up with the manager and the situation was rectified. Some have went out of their way (Atlanta perimeter HGI and Secaucus NJ Hampton) and I award them the best way I can, with more business.
Old Sep 27, 2009, 2:43 pm

Originally Posted by sharklover
you're comparing apples and oranges. Try SPG PLT instead.
Old Sep 27, 2009, 6:18 pm

Programs: Promus Preferred, ITT Sheraton Club
I think the problem is that everybody is a diamond these days. A Hampton Inn I was staying in had a "Welcome HHonors members" printed sign on the front counter with their first name and last initial of each guest. There had to be 20+ Diamonds on the list for that Wednesday night about 15 golds and a handful of silvers. Everybody has status.

I've been quietly repeating this; Hilton needs a tier above Diamond! A typical front desk clerk (regardless of brand) probably sees a hundred diamonds a week with little incentive to provide "special" treatment. Now if it were a new tier Double Diamond or Black Diamond or whatever the girls in marketing decide to name it, would be something that could be given special attention as there would be far fewer.

SPG and some of their hotels really make a platinum feel appreciated. Of course regardless of affinity program, the reception is only as good as how well the staff is trained.
Old Sep 27, 2009, 7:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Titanium Marriott Platinum for life.
Originally Posted by Minneapolis
I think the problem is that everybody is a diamond these days. A Hampton Inn I was staying in had a "Welcome HHonors members" printed sign on the front counter with their first name and last initial of each guest. There had to be 20+ Diamonds on the list for that Wednesday night about 15 golds and a handful of silvers. Everybody has status.

I've been quietly repeating this; Hilton needs a tier above Diamond! A typical front desk clerk (regardless of brand) probably sees a hundred diamonds a week with little incentive to provide "special" treatment. Now if it were a new tier Double Diamond or Black Diamond or whatever the girls in marketing decide to name it, would be something that could be given special attention as there would be far fewer.

SPG and some of their hotels really make a platinum feel appreciated. Of course regardless of affinity program, the reception is only as good as how well the staff is trained.
That may be true for business travelers on weekdays, but I bet that number is much lower on weekends and resorts for leisure travelers.
Old Sep 27, 2009, 8:05 pm

Programs: DL DM 3 MM AA PLAT HH Lifetime Diamond Marriott Plat AMB lifetime titanium Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Minneapolis

I agree 100%. I think they have two issues. They have a lot of low end properties and very few high end. They need to look more at revenue then nights/ stays. The second point being what can they do? The low end properties can not offer much more. Even more water or cookies. High end properties will play along with upgrades unless it is revenue based. Also in the hotels they do nto have as many suites. I am often upgraded at the hilton indy, because they have several suites per floor. Hilton Melville NY, I lived at for 6 months they had 2 suites period.
Old Sep 27, 2009, 8:16 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by ElmhurstNick
I don't expect to feel special. But I'd say about 60% of the time, the clerk will say something. I tend to stay in the lower end properties (Hampton, HGI, Homewood). At HGIs, I always get my breakfast coupons. At Hamptons, if they have a junior suite type room, I'll get it 75% of the time. At Homewoods, I'll get upgraded from a studio to a 1BR suite 90% of the time.
Pretty much my experience too.

No complaints whatsoever from me.

And when you're at a Hampton in the extreme boonies you may be the only Diamond they see that month (I was told this in Kayenta, AZ)
Old Sep 27, 2009, 8:24 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by san888
I feel that it may be time to give Marriott or Sheraton a shot at my business.

As the saying goes, "The grass is always greener..." I think you'll find the same issues at any of the brands. Honestly, it really doesn't bother me when the front desk clerk fails to acknowledge my status. I'm really more concerned with having a clean, functional room and overall I'm happier with Hilton properties than any other. As far as upgrades, usually get them without asking, so that hasn't been an issue for me. And the actual nuts and bolts of the HHonors program work the best for me, i.e award availability, earnings points and miles per stay, etc.
Old Sep 27, 2009, 9:06 pm

Programs: UA Silver, DL Silver (1MM), HH LT Diamond,, Marriott LT Platinum
My perception is different than the OP's in that 25 of my 30 stays this year have been international, where I am 100% on upgrades to the executive level.

I see the benefit, but I can understand why those that stay mostly domestically may not.
Old Sep 27, 2009, 10:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
i'm traveling a lot in asia & europe....i always get special treatment as a diamond....most of the times the reservation manager will receive me & walk me to my room....sometimes i have been taken to the room directly & the checkin process has been completed there....most properties in asia have a separate sit down area for diamonds to check in....having said that, in my 3 years as diamond i have never received an upgrade to a suite....80-85% of my spg stays result in suite upgrades....
Old Sep 27, 2009, 11:12 pm

Programs: Marriott Gold | Hilton Diamond | Hyatt Plat | UA 1K | HA Plat| Hertz President's circle
Most of my stays are in Europe; Diamond for 5 years. I have noticed less of the specialness this year. I have had one stay this year was I was downgraded, and was told it was because I was on a reward stay. Very weak lounges, and even told lounge access was my upgrade. I think some hotels are trying to cut back and bending the perks for Diamonds is how they can do it. I was around 95% upgrades until this year. I had SPG match me this year for 2 reasons, 1. the rolling calendar going away. 2. Made Diamond for next year back in May.. why would I keep racking up status nights and stays if they will go to zero in Jan.. I have been Platinum with SPG and I have been upgraded everytime, and over 70% to suites, twice to Presidential suites. I will say there is still some good Diamond perks, and some hotels do care about it.. but I do feel less special this year.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.