Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Is the time ripe for a Waldorf=Astoria Club VIP tier?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 28, 2009, 3:59 pm
Original Poster

Programs: IHG Diamond Ambassador, ALL Silver,, Miles&More

There was a thread some time ago about another - higher - VIP tier, above Diamond, and if it would make sense or not.

If there are no objections I would like to start a new debate about this topic but with focus on the recent and future expansion of the W=A collection.

In my eyes the increasing number of properties under the W=A brand would allow and recommend a special VIP tier for frequent guests of W=A collection hotels, comparable to "Ambassador" or "Royal Ambassador" status of Priority Club / Intercontinental hotels.

The Ambassador levels give guests of Intercontinental hotels special benefits beside the ordinary VIP tiers Gold and Platinum of the Priority Club guest loyality program.

I am not sure if it is necessary to follow this model and have two levels of W=A tiers, but it could make sense.

The "W=A Club VIP tier" concept could look like as follows:

Two levels:

- W=A Club Gold: can be purchased, e.g. USD 200 per year, includes automatically HH Gold VIP tier
- W=A Club Diamond: by invitation only, necessary herefore is to reach a certain number of stays (including e.g. 5 in W=A collection hotels) or base points e.g. 50% more compared to Diamond

Benefits:

To be discussed.

My idea for the W=A Club Diamond VIP tier is to achieve a full upgrade to executive/club level in ALL W=A collection hotels, e.g. Astoria Club Level in NYC or W=A towers, or e.g. imperial lounge at Rome Cavalieri.

I am sure everyone understand what the target is.

Maybe some more details can be worked out here and someone of Hilton Corp. likes the idea.
Old Jan 28, 2009, 5:23 pm

Programs: FB Silver, BA Silver, BD Gold rememberer, IHG Diamond Royal Ambassador, Hilton and Marriott Gold
I can see what you're trying to achieve, but let's do that in reverse.

It will make Gold status (which is the most useful level, from what I gather, in the US since you don't get a lot of hotel where diamond recognition would be interesting) something anyone can have for 200$, including additionnal bennies for the odd stay at a Waldorf Astoria.

It will make Gold status less interesting because I guess everyone and his dog will get it, further devaluating it in worldwide hotel. Probably some kind of equilibrium will be found (if it loses any interest people will stop buying it), probably lower than it is now.

Diamond wil le be surpassed by another top level that can only be achieved if staying at Waldorf Astoria Hotel. So if your travel pattern don't take you to the US, you're stuck staying five times in Rome to requalify. Tough luck for Asian members...

I don't see the benefits we (and Hilton, in fact) would get by merging a "waldorf only" programme with HH. They could simply have a "frequent waldorf guest" with specific bennies if needed.
Old Jan 28, 2009, 5:27 pm

Programs: AA EXP MM, HHonors Lifetime Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Ti, UA Silver
My impression (and its only an impression) is that the W=A properties are independently owned and use HH essentially as a customer base expander. That way they don't have to offer all the Gold and Diamond bennies to the masses. I'm assuming that the properties like it that way and won't want to change to a system where they are obligated to give away something that they can routinely charge a premium for.
Old Jan 29, 2009, 11:18 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Richelieu
I can see what you're trying to achieve, but let's do that in reverse.

It will make Gold status (which is the most useful level, from what I gather, in the US since you don't get a lot of hotel where diamond recognition would be interesting) something anyone can have for 200$, including additionnal bennies for the odd stay at a Waldorf Astoria.

It will make Gold status less interesting because I guess everyone and his dog will get it, further devaluating it in worldwide hotel. Probably some kind of equilibrium will be found (if it loses any interest people will stop buying it), probably lower than it is now.

Diamond wil le be surpassed by another top level that can only be achieved if staying at Waldorf Astoria Hotel. So if your travel pattern don't take you to the US, you're stuck staying five times in Rome to requalify. Tough luck for Asian members...

I don't see the benefits we (and Hilton, in fact) would get by merging a "waldorf only" programme with HH. They could simply have a "frequent waldorf guest" with specific bennies if needed.
The first time I could laugh today, reading your comments, no joke. After a tiring day visiting hospital administrators complaining about the crisis in the health system I just drove from Berlin (Hilton) to Dresden (Hilton), sitting in the lounge, reconsidering the consequences of my idea, only Gold members left, plus all their dogs, and so on ...

I agree that the Asians have a problem with no W=As, and I myself don´t want to stay always with Rome customers all the year to have my 5 W=A stays staying at Cavalieri. Well there are some new W=As ahead, Paris (Versailles) already came, London, Berlin. But at the moment you are right, not many choices.

What could be done: Add CONRAD with full benefits to the "Club Card" (e.g. full upgrades as benefit at CONRAD Maledives - wouldn´t be that a good idea?). That would mean also more possibilities mainly for the Asians, and also for Europe, as there are some properties.

Re: Gold Level - I have no idea at the moment how to solve it - maybe get not automatically Gold but Silver, or maybe someone else has another solution? I´m too finished now, go for a drink in the lounge now

Last edited by submonte; Jan 29, 2009 at 11:24 am
Old Jan 29, 2009, 11:19 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by PHLGovFlyer
My impression (and its only an impression) is that the W=A properties are independently owned and use HH essentially as a customer base expander. That way they don't have to offer all the Gold and Diamond bennies to the masses. I'm assuming that the properties like it that way and won't want to change to a system where they are obligated to give away something that they can routinely charge a premium for.
Maybe the fee must be higher, US 500 or so, and the W=A owners get a part of it?

Last edited by submonte; Jan 29, 2009 at 11:20 am Reason: spelling
Old Feb 7, 2009, 5:16 pm
Original Poster

I have modified the concept proposal as follows:

1. W=A Club Card (Tier 1)

- can be purchased by anyone for US 300
- independently from HH VIP tier
- no points/miles collection
- no benefits in Hiltons, Hamptons, Doubletrees etc.

Benefits in W=A and Conrad properties:
- one category room upgrade for free in any W=A and Conrad (incl. resorts)
- fruit basket and similar, newspaper, free breakfast (e.g. Trianon Palace), free internet
- access to "second best" lounge (e.g. Colosseo Rome Cavalieri)

In case the member's HH VIP tier would allow more/better benefits in a specific hotel/resort than the W=A Club membership, the HH VIP tier has priority.

Points/Miles collecting with seperate HH Card as usual. No one is forced to have one. If a W=A card owner only wants to have his W=A benefits, only wants to stay at W=As and Conrads, he may be happy w/o being HH member.

2. W=A Club Diamond Card (Tier 2)

- by invitation only for persons who are W=A club members AND HH Diamond members
- 25% of the Diamond members minimum required nights/stays/basepoints per calender year must be generated in W=A collection and/or Conrad hotels (7 of 28 stays, 15 of 60 nights, 25,000 of 100,000 base points)

Benefits in W=A and Conrad properties:
- guaranteed upgrade to executive floor rooms, incl.
- upgrade to W=A towers in NYC depending on the room rate booked, or if not available
- two category room upgrade for free in any W=A and Conrad (incl. resorts) incl. selected suites
- fruit basket and similar, newspaper, free breakfast (e.g. Trianon Palace), free internet
- guaranteed access to best available lounges (e.g. Astoria in NYC, Imperial Rome Cavalieri)
- extended concierge service

(- free minibar/free pay tv are IC RA benefits which I am sure anyone would like but I would not insist on it, hotel owners/operators might not agree)

The advantage compared to my first idea (W=A club card comes along with HH Gold) is that the HH VIP tier remains independently, so no interest to purchase the status for those who want to achieve the GOLD tier quickly, no "inflation" of GOLD members in US hotels and lounges.

Secondly it is easier to get the highest W=A tier for HH Diamonds if Conrad is put into the system - there are many Conrads in Asia, some in US and Europe, and more W=As coming in US and Europe.

Thirdly the hotel owners/operators do not have to spent points on the W=A Cards, but could participate in the purchasing fee.

I am convinced that the time for a W=A club tier has come and would like to be one of the first members
Old Feb 8, 2009, 7:34 am

Programs: DL DM 3 MM AA PLAT HH Lifetime Diamond Marriott Plat AMB lifetime titanium Hertz PC
I know the W A already does something like this for there guests. If you stay often no matter what level in hilton they will take better care of you as one of there guests. I would assume the others do the same. I like the idea, but they do not have nearly enough Waldorfs to make it work maybe if you include Conrads as other have suggested, but I see issues getting the hotels on board.
Old Feb 8, 2009, 9:50 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by troyintn
I know the W A already does something like this for there guests. If you stay often no matter what level in hilton they will take better care of you as one of there guests. I would assume the others do the same. I like the idea, but they do not have nearly enough Waldorfs to make it work maybe if you include Conrads as other have suggested, but I see issues getting the hotels on board.
What details of their guests the front desk team is able to see in their computer system?

HH points sum I think. VIP tier clearly. Last stays in their own hotel.

But also a history of all recent stays in any hotel of the Hilton family of brands? Future reservations? Can they look into my HH account also?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.