Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

I received free points - should I worry?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 15, 2009, 8:21 am
Original Poster

I monitor my hilton honors account every 6 months or so, since I don't stay with Hilton much anymore.
Last summer (2007), I noticed 5,000 points from a hotel in Europe.
I thought someone just entered the wrong number and it would get cleared up.

I just logged into my account, and I received 40,000 points from a hotel in CT.
I clicked the look at bill option, and it has my name and address listed on the bill.
But the bill looks like it has been paid.

Should I be concerned about anything?
Identity theft? (It was not my credit card used)
Other potential problems?

Or just enjoy the points?
Old Jan 15, 2009, 8:38 am

Programs: UA AA MR HH B6
It sounds like you're already worried. I think I'd at least call especially if it has your name and address. Worst scenario is you might have a credit card that you don't even know about and owe money!
Old Jan 15, 2009, 3:46 pm

Programs: Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, IHG Silver, Aeroplan 25K, DVC
Originally Posted by sard
I monitor my hilton honors account every 6 months or so, since I don't stay with Hilton much anymore.
Last summer (2007), I noticed 5,000 points from a hotel in Europe.
I thought someone just entered the wrong number and it would get cleared up.

I just logged into my account, and I received 40,000 points from a hotel in CT.
I clicked the look at bill option, and it has my name and address listed on the bill.
But the bill looks like it has been paid.

Should I be concerned about anything?
Identity theft? (It was not my credit card used)
Other potential problems?

I'd suggest getting a copy of your credit report ASAP and checking if someone has taken out a credit card in your name.
Old Jan 15, 2009, 6:25 pm

Originally Posted by Great White North
I'd suggest getting a copy of your credit report ASAP and checking if someone has taken out a credit card in your name.
Funny thing is if that is true, why would the fraud(er) use the OPs HH account to credit points. lol

OP, can you see which CC is used to pay the hotel bills? Usually you would see the Type and last 4 digits at least. I would first confirm with the Hotel itself. Then, def. check your credit.

www.annualcreditreport.com
Old Jan 15, 2009, 7:37 pm

Programs: Red Sox Nation
Yes, use the link above.

DO NOT USE freecreditreport.com
Old Jan 15, 2009, 7:56 pm

Programs: DL-GM, HH-Diamond, National - Exec Elite VIP
Arrow Suggestions to the OP

Originally Posted by sard
I clicked the look at bill option, and it has my name and address listed on the bill. But the bill looks like it has been paid.

A) Enjoy the points!

B) Depending upon how long its been call the hotel. Typically they ask for photo ID (at some point) when checking in but not all hotels do this.

I would call the Diamond Desk or at the least login to your account change your password etc.

If you call the DD you can ask them to call up your OnQ profile and have them note or review the notes on your account to ensure that it's really you stayin the hotel.

DEFINATELY check your credit out tho! I would also review the CC on file (with your HH account). Ensure that the bill matches up with the transaction.

Something's goin on here not enough info to help the OP but at least its a start.
Old Jan 16, 2009, 10:21 am
Original Poster

Great White North -

> I will check my credit report later today

vrbaba -
OP, can you see which CC is used to pay the hotel bills? Usually you would see the Type and last 4 digits at least. I would first confirm with the Hotel itself. Then, def. check your credit.

> When I looked at the bill online, I saw the last 4 digits, and they did not match any of my current cards.
What is the purpose of calling the hotel? All they can do is confirm "I" stayed there on those days.

chuxter -
I would call the Diamond Desk or at the least login to your account change your password etc.
If you call the DD you can ask them to call up your OnQ profile and have them note or review the notes on your account to ensure that it's really you stayin the hotel.

>whats the purpose of calling the diamond desk?
If I call them, and tell them what happened, wouldnt they just REMOVE the points from my account? (since I didnt stay there)

I do know 2 things:
1. My points have never been used (by me or someone else)
2. About 3 years ago, I stayed at a Hampton Inn, and my bill printed out with an address in California. Turned out someone with the same name lives there.

Thanks everyone

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.