Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Nor1 Hotels/Upgrades" Thread

Old Jul 19, 2008, 8:35 am
Original Poster

Programs: United 1K, Qatar Gold, Etihad Gold, Hilton Diamond, InterCon RA, PC Plat, SPG Plat, Marriott Plat

Hilton Hawaiian Village
Hilton Tapatio Cliffs - Phoenix

Last edited by Roger Lococco; Jul 19, 2008 at 3:29 pm
Old Jul 19, 2008, 1:00 pm

Programs: UA1k;HH Gold;MR Gold
Ok i'm dumb

what is NOR-1?
Old Jul 19, 2008, 2:02 pm

Programs: DL Plat, HH Dia, Hyatt Plat
When did HHV go Nor-1? In March it was business as usual.
Old Jul 19, 2008, 2:04 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United 1K, Qatar Gold, Etihad Gold, Hilton Diamond, InterCon RA, PC Plat, SPG Plat, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by cayenne92
When did HHV go Nor-1? In March it was business as usual.
I don't know, but it's showing up as Nor-1 for me. I spent about $50k at Hiltons last year, so was expecting better than this...
Old Jul 19, 2008, 2:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT (2.9+ MM), HH GLD, Hyatt Diamond, SPG PLT
Originally Posted by jan_az
Ok i'm dumb

what is NOR-1?
According to wikipedia:

A neuron-derived orphan receptor 1 (NOR-1) protein is a member of the nuclear receptor family of intracellular transcription factors and is encoded by the NR4A3 gene (nuclear receptor subfamily 4, group A, member 3)

Somehow I think that the OP is talking about something else though ... It relates somehow to paid upgrades vs. elite upgrades, but a specific definition would be useful
Old Jul 19, 2008, 2:40 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jan_az
Ok i'm dumb

what is NOR-1?
http://www.nor1.com/

It's a company that helps travel and hospitality companies monetize their inventory.

It will be marketed as a 'good deal' for you by providing 'more options'. In reality, it will limit elite ability to get anything more than the most minimal upgrade unless they pay for it.

In short, it's a disaster for elites if rolled out widely ... which I'm guessing is on the way. No more multi-class upgrades. Potentially less upgrades even at the most basic level.
Old Jul 19, 2008, 2:57 pm

Programs: SU Bonus, SK EBG, BD Silver, HH Diamond
Isn't that breaking T&C for NA ? They clearly states that in regular Hiltons Gold and Diamonds should get upgrade to executive room (space available) or access to lounge if there is no space available.
Old Jul 19, 2008, 4:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Roger Lococco
I don't know, but it's showing up as Nor-1 for me. I spent about $50k at Hiltons last year, so was expecting better than this...
What leads you to say it is "showing up" as Nor-1? B/c of the reservation page offering you a paid upgrade? Based on your inability to get an upgrade at that hotel? Discussion w/the hotel's mgmt?
Old Jul 19, 2008, 6:03 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by bdemaria
What leads you to say it is "showing up" as Nor-1? B/c of the reservation page offering you a paid upgrade? Based on your inability to get an upgrade at that hotel? Discussion w/the hotel's mgmt?
When I click on my reservation, it provides me the opportunity to pay to apply for a space available upgrade to a room with a better view.

Here is a hotel, Tapatio Cliffs, where Diamonds not infrequently get upgraded, for free, to a room far superior to the one they are asking me to pay extra for.

*UPGRADE to a King View Suite- Request an upgrade for your current Standard Suite accommodations to a Spectacular King View Suite! Upgraded suite includes all the great amenities your current reservation boasts while also possessing stunning views of the city lights from your balcony perched on top of the mountainside. (Upgrade not guaranteed/ based on availability)
Old Jul 19, 2008, 7:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

When I click on my reservation, it provides me the opportunity to pay to apply for a space available upgrade to a room with a better view.

Here is a hotel, Tapatio Cliffs, where Diamonds not infrequently get upgraded, for free, to a room far superior to the one they are asking me to pay extra for.

*UPGRADE to a King View Suite- Request an upgrade for your current Standard Suite accommodations to a Spectacular King View Suite! Upgraded suite includes all the great amenities your current reservation boasts while also possessing stunning views of the city lights from your balcony perched on top of the mountainside. (Upgrade not guaranteed/ based on availability)
This option has been available for quite some time via the "reservation confirmation email" that HH sends out, the same one where you can pre-order snacks for your room. The difference is that now these options shows up on your reservation page as well.

Asking you to pay extra now doesn't mean you won't get an upgrade later.
Old Jul 19, 2008, 8:16 pm

Programs: AC SE*MM/S100K; HHonors Diamond; a bunch of others at various levels!
I was offered a long selection of options at the Hilton Montreal Bonaventure, including prepaying for a room upgrade to the Executive Floor for $40. Here is the offer, presented in my Hhonors Reservations summary as "Order Requests upon Arrival":
Make Your Hilton Hotels Requests Upon Arrival
Thank you for choosing the Hilton Montreal Bonaventure. In order to make your stay more comfortable, listed below are a variety of amenities you can select in advance of check-in and benefit a 15% rebate of the prices listed in the Room Service Directory. Just click on your selection and indicate the quantity, and we will have the amenities waiting for you when you arrive. It's just another way the Hilton Family recognizes your individual needs whenever you stay with us. Pamper yourself and select one of our newly renovated Executive rooms. If you have any questions or comments, do not hesitate to contact our Guest Service Manager.
I called the hotel and was told that as a Diamond I could still expect to receive an upgrade to the executive floor, provided there was availability. Prepaying simply takes the game-of-chance out of the equation. I have chosen not to pay and see what happens.

At the time of booking, the executive floor rooms at this hotel are $50 more that the regular rooms. Booking a regular room and then taking the $40 upgrade saves $10. I do not expect too many will pay $40 if they were not willing to pay $50.

I do not see this as diminishing my benefits.
Old Jul 19, 2008, 8:38 pm
Original Poster

I think some of you are losing the plot here. Will this matter for standard hotels with 2 classes of rooms -- standard and standard on an Executive Floor? Probably not that much.

Will using Nor1 for resort hotels with many classes of rooms matter? You better believe it will. I've been to HHV twice previously. As a non-member. I received a major upgrade both times. Why? Because the rooms were available. That will go away with Nor1. The approach will demand discipline around minimizing free upgrades.

As for the post on the hotel in Montreal ... are you sure you're guaranteed the upgrade if you pre-pay?
Old Jul 19, 2008, 9:33 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by bdemaria
This option has been available for quite some time via the "reservation confirmation email" that HH sends out, the same one where you can pre-order snacks for your room. The difference is that now these options shows up on your reservation page as well.

Asking you to pay extra now doesn't mean you won't get an upgrade later.
Thought we had sorted this out before ( in the recent thread started by the OP a few days ago) but you obviously havent gone back and read it.

Anyhow you are getting pretty confused with his topic the NOR1 and the "auction items" or whatever it called the offer to provide preordered stuff for Hilton guests.

heres the relevant thread as you see the topic has been discussed at quite some length.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=639431

mike
Old Jul 20, 2008, 12:00 am
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
...That will go away with Nor1.
Actually in the case of the HHV, probably not.

The Hawai`i economy has been so badly hit by the whammies of two airline bankruptcies, gas prices, the housing recession, and the almost unbearable vog (on the Big Island, but there have been days that it has even blown to Honolulu), that vacancy rates everywhere in the islands are climbing.

I haven't been to the HHV in a few months, but was twice at the HWV in the last two weeks. On both occasions was told it was only at ~66% occupancy -- astounding for the summer.
Old Jul 20, 2008, 6:09 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by cblaisd
Actually in the case of the HHV, probably not.

The Hawai`i economy has been so badly hit by the whammies of two airline bankruptcies, gas prices, the housing recession, and the almost unbearable vog (on the Big Island, but there have been days that it has even blown to Honolulu), that vacancy rates everywhere in the islands are climbing.

I haven't been to the HHV in a few months, but was twice at the HWV in the last two weeks. On both occasions was told it was only at ~66% occupancy -- astounding for the summer.
Unclear wording on my part ... but I meant to imply the amazing (and free) upgrades elites get from time to time will go away, not necessarily the empty suites.

I would be very interested in your perspective though. Particularly as it applied to the Hawaii properties.

P.S. FTR, the original intent of thread was to list out the properties.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.