Conrad Koh Samui {THA}

Old Dec 26, 2020, 5:54 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, IHG Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Discoverist
I looked, and it seems rooms haven't been this low in years. I'm keeping a close watch on my points bookings at hotels-I saved 20,000 points a night here for a total of 80,000, and I saved 20,000 Marriott points-now IHG has to drop some rates as I have 5 hotel stays booked with them for 2021.
Old Dec 26, 2020, 8:03 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by skywalkerLAX
Something tells me that in June 2021 (as you plan it right now) neither your Hong Kong trip nor your Thailand trip will materialize. At least not unless you're willing to spend a long and costly quarantine time.
Agree. We are looking at Q3 as earliest likely time to visit Thailand without having to quarantine.
Old Feb 15, 2021, 11:17 pm
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriot 100+ Badge

Programs: Hyatt Glob; Hilton Dia; Marriott AMB; Accor Dia; IHG Dia Amb; GHA Tit
Conrad Koh Samui = One of the Best Hilton Chain Resorts in the World

Conrad Koh Samui Resort and Spa

1 Review | 100% Recommended

49/8-9 Moo 4, Hillcrest Road, Tambon Taling-Ngam Koh Samui, TH 84140

Conrad Koh Samui = One of the Best Hilton Chain Resorts in the World (54 Photos)

In previous trips to Koh Samui I chose options other than Conrad in part because of brand recognition.  Conrad KS is usually more expensive than other hotel brands which are often considered a notch above the Conrad brand, so I was skeptical about the value of Conrad KS at their price point.  This year for a change I tried Conrad to expand my horizons and I realized the mistake I made in the past: Conrad is well worth the price premium over other options and is in fact closer to a Waldorf Astoria than a typical Conrad.  I can highly recommend this property as one of the best resorts in the Hilton portfolio anywhere in the world.

IMG_4669.jpegIMG_4670.jpeg

Location is possibly not the strong point of the hotel depending on what travelers are looking for.  One main attraction of Koh Samui is the Chaweng area but Conrad is at the opposite end of the island, approximately a 45-minute drive away so realistically people staying at Conrad will not go to Chaweng on a daily basis.  However for people looking for a quiet vacation then Conrad will be a good fit because of the remote area (and a dead end) so the only people on the hotel grounds are guests.  

Room

For many five-star hotels in KS, if booking the entry level room you have a sea view, a private pool, but not both.  Conrad is one of the few where you get both (at least partial sea view for standard rooms) which means many times to evaluate price we need to align Conrad’s basic rooms to competitors’ premium rooms for an apples to apples comparison.  This also means that for people booking with points in times of high occupancy, we don’t need to worry about the potential lack of upgrade: we will get the same excellent villa with private pool, the only difference is that without an upgrade the view will not be as good but it will be a sea view nonetheless.  There were concerns in the recent past on FT that Conrad had cut the number of rooms available for points redemptions.  The hotel informed me that the entry level room type is for villas #101 to #120 so they still have one quarter of their 80 rooms available for standard point awards which cannot be compared to Conrad Bora Bora which is very hard to book with points because they only have two standard rooms.  This is not the case in Koh Samui.

IMG_4653.jpeg

These days Conrad KS obviously does not have high occupancy and as a first-time Diamond guest they were not stingy with the upgrade: out of five room categories of 1-bedroom villas (excluding the Royal), we received the highest category which is the Infinity Pool Villa.  Those are villas #308-316 on the resort map.

The hardware of the villa was superb.  The room had high tech features such as Bose surround sound system in the living room, AirPlay to connect Apple devices to the TV, and there was a second TV in front of the bathtub.  Because the resort is looking straight west, all villas have perfect sunset views from the terrace and from inside the villa, in fact we could even have sea views from the large shower because of its glass wall.  

IMG_4633.jpegIMG_4634.jpegIMG_4635.jpeg1_IMG_4636.jpeg1_IMG_4637.jpeg1_IMG_4638.jpeg1_IMG_4639.jpeg1_IMG_4640.jpegIMG_4643.jpegIMG_4644.jpegIMG_4682 Kopie.jpeg

The privacy of the villa was quite good with walls on both sides of our pool and neighbors were not particularly close.  We had villa #313 so on one side the neighbor was a bit far because there was some greenery between our villas, and on the other side the neighbor was closer but even if climbing above our wall we still could not really see their terrace well.  

IMG_4659.jpegIMG_4660.jpegIMG_4718 Kopie.jpeg

The only direction where guests can be a bit exposed is from above.  I could see part of the pools of the villas below us; considering that the Infinity Pool Villas are on a higher row of the resort, we did not have many neighbors higher than us.  The only villas higher than the 300 series are the Conrad Residences (2-bdr); these people could potentially see us but only if we were standing at the edge of our pool, not from our terrace.  So bottom line I would score our villa about 90% for privacy so not perfect but close to it.

1_IMG_4661.jpeg

The private pool was 10m long so it cannot be compared to the small plunge pool of other hotels: the one at Conrad was long enough to be swimmable.  

1_IMG_4658.jpeg

I would also note that because the resort is on a very steep hill, there are almost no stagnant water sources on the hotel grounds which means mosquitoes were not an issue, unlike some resorts in KS which are on flatter terrain.  

Conrad had an extensive pillow menu with 13 choices which helped us have great sleep not to mention the powerful air conditioning which worked great during our stay.

Dining

I had previously read that breakfast was so-so considering a hotel of this caliber but based on our stay I was positively surprised.  I care far more about quality rather than quantity and Conrad’s buffet met my needs.  It is not as huge as some mega-resorts but it had sufficient variety with at least 5 hot dishes every day.  In addition I believe in the past their breakfast was perhaps too western-oriented but during our stay there were several Asian options available such as a curry dish, sweet and sour chicken, stir fried noodles, congee, black pepper stir fried pork, plus the fact that they changed choices every morning to avoid repetition, and it was in addition to the noodle soup station.  To go along the buffet there was also a small a la carte menu mostly for eggs.  All in all breakfast was not a weakness of this hotel and I was quite satisfied, in addition to the venue which was lovely with the outdoor seating and the sea views.  

IMG_4654.jpegIMG_4672.jpegIMG_4674.jpegIMG_4675.jpegIMG_4677.jpegIMG_4707.jpeg

Service

Service was flawless from A to Z, starting from the e-mail exchange before arrival and the hotel calling me proactively at 11am to inform me when we were staying at InterContinental Koh Samui that we could move over to Conrad because our room was ready.  Once arrived at the resort everybody was friendly and helpful and there were lots of little details that showed the hotel goes above and beyond.  The most notable was probably the personalized teddy bear gift for our babymoon trip – so sweet!  But we can also mention the hotel branded colorful face masks instead of generic surgical masks given by other hotels, and the Valentine’s Day fruit bowl gift including sparkling rosé.  There were several other small thoughtful details for example the coconuts and even the toilet paper rolls were marked Conrad KS.  The bathroom amenities were the standard Shanghai Tang found in other Conrads, available in dispenser bottles.  However they told me that for Diamond guests they also bring an extra tray of amenities, one geared for women (TempleSpa) and one for men (Refinery).  I guess those amenities are also available at some other Conrads upon request but it’s nice that they bring them proactively in KS.  We also received drinks vouchers as another Diamond benefit.  Finally on Valentine’s Day there was a wedding at the hotel and we had a fireworks show at 10pm over the sea for all hotel guests to enjoy from their villa.  I guess it’s not something done on a regular basis but it shows once again the service orientation of the hotel for the newly weds.  As if all of this was not sufficient, upon check-out we received even more gifts, we especially enjoyed our polo shirts!  How generous of them.  Last but not least, we could have had 4pm late check-out if we wanted which was offered proactively.

1_IMG_3046.jpeg1_IMG_3047.jpegIMG_4648.jpegIMG_4649.jpegIMG_4650.jpegIMG_4652.jpeg1_IMG_4679.jpegIMG_4706.jpegIMG_4756.jpeg

Common Areas

Because of our fantastic villa and its large private pool, we did not use the hotel main pool; we simply went there to take a look.  The pool was nice and was just a few steps above the beach so guests could enjoy views from that area.  The beach down below the pool was not the strong point of the hotel; that side of the island has seaweeds and is therefore affected by the same issue that we noticed at InterContinental nearby.  Consequently beach lovers will find the Chaweng area to be preferable, although I believe Conrad can bring guests to an offsite beach by boat for people who desire.  The beach bar and the other bar next the Azure restaurant were both inviting like many other common areas of the resort.  I would also note they have a kids club; I do not think Conrad is a resort overly focused on families with young children so I would have no problem recommending Conrad for couples, but for people with kids at least Conrad will be a decent option.  Another common area worth mentioning is “Botanikka” near the lobby where the hotel grows their own organic herbs for use in the kitchen.  The venue is also used as a coffee shop and for guests to try their Kombucha.

IMG_4655.jpegIMG_4656.jpegIMG_4657.jpegIMG_4708.jpegIMG_4709.jpegIMG_4710.jpegIMG_4711.jpegIMG_4712.jpegIMG_4713.jpegIMG_4714.jpegIMG_4715.jpegIMG_4716.jpegIMG_4720.jpegIMG_4721.jpegIMG_4722.jpegIMG_4723.jpegIMG_4724.jpegIMG_4725.jpegIMG_4726.jpegIMG_4727.jpeg

Wifi

Wifi worked well but oddly download speed 10-15 Mbps was significantly inferior than upload speed 30-50 Mbps.  

Overall

Overall I was very pleased with our stay at Conrad KS and we will return.  The cash rates are normally higher than Ritz Carlton for example, and as much as I like RC KS who took great care of us last year in April when just about every other hotel was closing at the height of the covid fears, Conrad cannot be compared to RC in any way shape or form because RC’s entry level rooms have no sea view and no pool, and even the most expensive categories of villas to which they often generously upgrade to, those do not have the same level of privacy as villas at Conrad and the RC private pool is far smaller as well.  In my experience Conrad can be better compared with Banyan Tree especially if matching the top categories of 1-bdr villas at both resorts.  The Hillcrest Pool Villa we had at BT last year was in some ways better than Conrad because it was on the very top of the hill with no neighbors above us, therefore privacy was perfect and it had more real estate space outdoors whereas Conrad has the terrace and the pool but no yard space.  However, overall Conrad still beats BT in my opinion (besides beach and perhaps location) because the entry level rooms at BT are in the valley (no views).  I have top tier status at Accor but another issue of BT KS is that this property generally does not upgrade guests because they do not participate in the Accor program; I only received an upgrade there as a goodwill gesture on their part and obviously I did not earn points from the stay.  Unlike BT, Conrad can be a decent points redemption option, normally 95k pts but temporarily as low as 75k pts post covid which is competitive with Cape Fahn (SLH) which can be booked via Hyatt, and also a more attractive points option than W and Vana Belle (Luxury Collection) on the Marriott side.

Conrad Koh Samui = One of the Best Hilton Chain Resorts in the World

Would you like to write a review on the Conrad Koh Samui Resort and Spa?

No, thank you.
Yes
Old Feb 16, 2021, 1:09 pm

Programs: HH Lifetime Diamond, 20 years
Thanks, Best photo review of Conrad KS ever!!
escape4 likes this.
Old Feb 16, 2021, 2:35 pm

Programs: World of Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Bonvoy LTP; IHG Plat
thanks for the great review, escape4. seems like they did some renovation to the public area (main pool, restaurants, pier, etc.)

i got the same villa 313 as yours in 2019. it was a very nice stay overall. i was hesitating to return due to location and its beach but your review gave me high hope.

escape4 likes this.
Old Feb 17, 2021, 7:26 pm

Originally Posted by 3rdworldresident
seems like they did some renovation to the public area (main pool, restaurants, pier, etc.)
I went to Conrad in 2018 for dinner but it was dark so unfortunately I cannot compare the state of public areas with what they used to be. Considering that they closed the hotel for a few months during 2020, it would not be surprising if they took the opportunity to renovate to some extent!
Old Feb 20, 2021, 11:22 am

Programs: HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Bonvoy Gold
Escape4, you did a great job with the review and lovely pics! I was last here in July 2019. It seems they have changed around the names of the room categories. I believe that the level 300 villas were called Ocean View Villas before - I was in Villa 308 or 309. Now I see there are more added when I check the CKS site. I would like to know which #/level of villas are in the latest villa categories.

The CKS has been in my top 3 of all-time favorite stays at a hotel/resort. It would possibly be number 1, but I'm a beach gal. Yes, the beach is nothing to write home about here (The hotel shuttle to Chaweng helps). However, in my eyes, but everything else about the CKS goes above and beyond. I felt doted on at every turn. Outstanding marks for food, ambiance, and service (I rank the service a 15 out of 10). Indonesia more than likely has to be rescheduled (yet again), so I would not mind going back here so soon for my July 2021 travels. I have my second dose of the vaccine (I'm still all about responsible COVID safety). It will be interesting to see which countries will set up a vaccine passport like Seychelles. We will see what unfolds for Summer 2021 and on
Old Feb 20, 2021, 7:30 pm

Cat88L3 here are the current room type names and villa numbers based on info from staff during our stay, in order from cheapest to most expensive:

Tropical Island Pool Villa = 101-120. This is the entry level room which we can book with points.
Ocean View Pool Villa = 121-126 & 206-216
Premium Ocean View Pool Villa = 217-223 & 306-307
Five Islands View Pool Villa = 201-205 & 301-305
Ocean View Infinity Pool Villa = 308-316

For beach lovers, Conrad is a tough call because it's not a strong point. I am currently at Vana Belle (Marriott, Luxury Collection) and the beach is great here. However there are compromises to make, in times of high occupancy when upgrades would be unlikely, if booking the entry level room at VB then you get no views, the villa is more aging than Conrad, and smaller as well (villa and pool too). The top levels of rooms at VB are easier to compare to Conrad but still not as nice as Conrad for views and hardware.
Cat88L3 and MaldivesFreak like this.
Old Feb 21, 2021, 10:13 am

Programs: HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Bonvoy Gold
escape4, thank you again for the info! Yes, missing out on a good beach at your resort can be hard, especially when you have traveled a long distance - but I think everything about the Conrad more than makes up for it. Some solutions are that people can do a split stay on Samui and/or stay at other Southern Thailand locations that have a great beach. I wound up doing both to compensate. It would have been a shame for me to have missed out on the CKS because of the beach.

I also did a points stay at the CKS. I had the entry-level 100 villa and they generously upgraded me to Villa 308/309 as a Diamond. They were at full capacity too. My only regret is that I stayed 3 nights. I thought this would be enough. My 2nd visit needs a longer stay, lol.
Old Feb 21, 2021, 2:28 pm

Programs: HH Lifetime Diamond, 20 years
Originally Posted by Cat88L3
I also did a points stay at the CKS. I had the entry-level 100 villa and they generously upgraded me to Villa 308/309 as a Diamond. They were at full capacity too. My only regret is that I stayed 3 nights. I thought this would be enough. My 2nd visit needs a longer stay, lol.
What would be your reccomended length of stay beyond 3 nights?
Old Feb 22, 2021, 2:50 am

Originally Posted by Cat88L3
Some solutions are that people can do a split stay on Samui and/or stay at other Southern Thailand locations that have a great beach. I wound up doing both to compensate. It would have been a shame for me to have missed out on the CKS because of the beach.
I agree - I like to use this strategy in many destinations. I realize that not everybody likes to change hotels but this is FT after all A few days at Conrad with beautiful sunsets in a quiet part of the island, followed by a few days on the other side near Chaweng with the beach and more action, can be an excellent mix for a bit of everything.
Old Feb 23, 2021, 2:07 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: Accor Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, SQ Gold, Qatar Platinum
I am staying here this very day and I can see that this place is dying. Breakfast is minimal, buffet line only has egg station, noodle station, and some breads. Some more food can be ordered but not many choices. Many villas look abandoned and run down. Only 1/3 of their staff left working, though got to say they have done exemplary job. This reminds me of Banyan Tree Phuket where I stayed a week ago, they are facing the same situation (10% occupancy rate and 1/3 staff left), but at least it was more lively there. There are about 20 guests staying today, including 4 of my family. Very quiet and a bit depressing to tell the truth. I didnt get my room welcomely decorated, also some hiccups here and there, but I don't mind any of that knowing they must have already done their best to keep this place running as smooth as they can. Not quite sure how long they can keep this up, I guess every hotels need more guests and it better be soon.

On the bright side, it is awesome, I means superbly fantastic to get the whole place pretty much by myself, once in a life time experience I think. On the other hand, it is quite a heartache to see this place withering, I rather them being crowded. I would still consider coming back either way as I am very happy with my stay now even though they are not functioning at their full capacity. This place got one of best view in my opinion and nothing can change that.

Old Feb 23, 2021, 11:42 pm

Originally Posted by Juntima
I am staying here this very day and I can see that this place is dying. Breakfast is minimal, buffet line only has egg station, noodle station, and some breads. Some more food can be ordered but not many choices. Many villas look abandoned and run down.
Breakfast is minimal? I was there less than 2 weeks ago so unless there has been a recent change, the daily rotation of dishes below would not qualify for 'minimal' in my opinion.

Regarding 'run down' villas, mine was absolutely stellar and better than many other 5* hotels in Samui. Are you referring to the outside look of some villas you walked by, or is your own villa run down?

I am aware that some villas on the top of the resort (some of 600 and 700 series in light gray on the resort map) are unoccupied and not available for guests to book. Staff told me that they are not sure how to use them or how to market them in the future but they are not for guest use at the moment. So perhaps this is what you meant?
Old Feb 24, 2021, 1:30 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: Accor Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, SQ Gold, Qatar Platinum
Originally Posted by escape4
Breakfast is minimal?
Breakfast-wise, yes, it has become minimal. There is no hot dishes spreading out like yours, only breads and traditional Thai sweets (which I like). We could order some standard breakfast such as eggs, pancake, noodle, cold cut, bacon and ham, etc. Oh and some Asian dishes which are nice. I believe these were once spread out as full breakfast buffet when you visited? That's about all. Sorry I didn't take a picture of the whole area, but the compartments in the back are pretty empty, only milk and a bit of fruits. And yes, aforementioned abandoned villas are those at the top, I see them every time I step out of my room (50x). Sorry I mistaken them as abandoned. My room, 2 bed king villa, is still awesome in my opnion, even though the phone only works with speaker and the power outlet next to bed is broken and dropped out. Everything else is nice and I have no complain at all. Like I said, I love it here, just feel it a bit dried compare to other resorts facing the same situation. I wish them to have more guests coming soon, and of course I will definitely come back too.

Empty compartments. In your pictures they were full?

All we could order. Sorry it is in Thai... But if you could work it out, they are pretty standard.

Ummm it just dropped out. But still function when I snapped it back...
Old Feb 24, 2021, 2:31 am

Originally Posted by Juntima
Breakfast-wise, yes, it has become minimal. There is no hot dishes spreading out like yours, only breads and traditional Thai sweets (which I like). We could order some standard breakfast such as eggs, pancake, noodle, cold cut, bacon and ham, etc. Oh and some Asian dishes which are nice. I believe these were once spread out as full breakfast buffet when you visited? That's about all.

Empty compartments. In your pictures they were full?

All we could order. Sorry it is in Thai... But if you could work it out, they are pretty standard.
I can confirm that the compartments from your picture were full two weeks ago so they must have decided that occupancy was not high enough to justify a buffet. For the benefit of others, the a la carte menu that you posted has a number of Asian choices that used to be in the buffet such as stir-fried noodles, various curries with choice of meats, etc. Personally I almost always prefer a la carte rather than buffet so I am not sure it is a material downgrade from when we stayed and the choices are not completely different from what we had.

We also stayed at W and they have also cut the buffet due to a lack of guests. I can confirm that I would rather have the a la carte menu at Conrad that you showed, rather than what we had at W.

If you prefer a buffet I would suggest Vana Belle which still has a combo of buffet + a la carte which is overall better than Conrad and also free flow Prosecco for guests who are Platinum or above with the Marriott loyalty program. Or Cape Fahn (SLH) where we stayed as the only guests on the resort and obviously they did not have a buffet just for us, but their a la carte menu was stellar. InterContinental had a buffet as of 2 weeks ago and it was ok but unlike Conrad it's not free for elites so not a fair comparison. Bottom line, other than VB and Cape Fahn, Conrad's breakfast is not the best but seems reasonably competitive based on my personal observations.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.