Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Hilton Agrees to Be Bought by Blackstone

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 3, 2007, 4:10 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA (1MM), Marriott (LT Gold)

Here's a link to the news story:

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/5d524270-29a...2Cs01%3D1.html

(Hopefully, posting the article is not against the T&C's.)
Old Jul 3, 2007, 4:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

That's Hot!
Old Jul 3, 2007, 4:26 pm

Not good news for HHonors members. They are private now, and not subject to the frequent guest program competition market. A complete overhaul could mean the end of the HHonors program and tier structure as we know it. Blackstone has a habit of stipping its acquisitions down to the bare bones and leaving empty shell companies. They've been doing it for years. Uh oh.
Old Jul 3, 2007, 4:37 pm

Programs: hilton honours, BAEC,BMI
is it best to start redeeming any unused points asap before the value per point goes down?
Old Jul 3, 2007, 4:46 pm

Originally Posted by Ritz
They are private now, and not subject to the frequent guest program competition market.
This makes no sense at all.
Old Jul 3, 2007, 4:48 pm

Programs: HH diamond
That's what I'm planning to do. Close to 400K to use! If things are changed, I wonder how long the grandfather period for already issued awards will be.

I hope the changeover won't alter things too much. I have saved so much money with awards. And they have kept me loyal to Hilton. Time will tell.
Old Jul 3, 2007, 4:55 pm

Originally Posted by UpgradeMe
This makes no sense at all.
?? Sorry it seems indiscernable to you. Let me try to make it clear - PRIVATE COMPANIES DONT ANSWER TO INVESTORS - HILTON IS NOW PRIVATELY HELD, IT WAS PUBLIC - SO NOW THERE IS NO ONE TO DEMAND THAT HILTON STAYS COMPETITIVE WITH OTHER MAJOR HOTEL CHAINS' GUEST PROGRAMS (IE. THE INVESTORS) - WHICH MEANS THE HHONORS PROGRAM MAY LOSE SOME OF ITS VALUE, BOTH IN POINTS, REWARDS, AND OVERALL REGARD FOR ITS MOST FREQUENT GUESTS (IE. DIAMONDS, GOLDS, ETC). Does it make sense now? LOL.
Old Jul 3, 2007, 5:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

SSSSHhhh we tend not to SHOUT here, and I think your point has some value. The Blackstone group has just paid a premium for the Hilton group, and they will make their best efforts to make sure that investment pays off.

To piss off their best/ loyal customers by shredding the loyalty program in either the short or long term makes little sense. Why would they want to upset their best customers?

I wouldn't be surprised to see franchise fees and by extension room rates increase. I would expect under performing properties to be spun off, but I'd say for the foreseeable future your points and reward levels are safe.
Old Jul 3, 2007, 5:09 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA (1MM), Marriott (LT Gold)
?? Sorry it seems indiscernable to you. Let me try to make it clear - PRIVATE COMPANIES DONT ANSWER TO INVESTORS - HILTON IS NOW PRIVATELY HELD, IT WAS PUBLIC - SO NOW THERE IS NO ONE TO DEMAND THAT HILTON STAYS COMPETITIVE WITH OTHER MAJOR HOTEL CHAINS' GUEST PROGRAMS (IE. THE INVESTORS) - WHICH MEANS THE HHONORS PROGRAM MAY LOSE SOME OF ITS VALUE, BOTH IN POINTS, REWARDS, AND OVERALL REGARD FOR ITS MOST FREQUENT GUESTS (IE. DIAMONDS, GOLDS, ETC). Does it make sense now? LOL.
I agree with UpgradeMe on this point. Whether a company is public or private has little to do with how they will operate their frequent guest program. The real question is whether Blackstone management will have a different view of the cost/benefits of the HH program than previous management did.
Old Jul 3, 2007, 5:13 pm

Programs: HH, PC, SPG, MR, GP, US, UA, AA
Both Marriott & Haytt are privately-held, and I think most people would agree they are very competitive.

Last edited by rdchen; Jul 3, 2007 at 5:21 pm
Old Jul 3, 2007, 5:23 pm

Programs: HH Dia, Choice Dia, PC Plat
It should also be noted that Blackstone is not a private company any longer having just completed an IPO.
Old Jul 3, 2007, 5:24 pm

Programs: HH, PC, SPG, MR, GP, US, UA, AA
According to CNBC,

The deal is expected to close during the fourth quarter of 2007.
Old Jul 3, 2007, 5:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, Delta Plat
Originally Posted by Dugernaut
SSSSHhhh we tend not to SHOUT here, and I think your point has some value. The Blackstone group has just paid a premium for the Hilton group, and they will make their best efforts to make sure that investment pays off.

To piss off their best/ loyal customers by shredding the loyalty program in either the short or long term makes little sense. Why would they want to upset their best customers?

I wouldn't be surprised to see franchise fees and by extension room rates increase. I would expect under performing properties to be spun off, but I'd say for the foreseeable future your points and reward levels are safe.
I can buy into this analysis. ^
Old Jul 3, 2007, 5:28 pm
Suspended

Wow!!! Welcome to Pamploma the rumour bulls didnt take but a few hours to start the stampede of silly, unfounded, speculation by resident " experts"

Lets see if any of the experts can name a single travel/lodging company that has been taken private and their existing loyalty prgram gutted??

mike
Old Jul 3, 2007, 5:31 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by bkwee
It should also be noted that Blackstone is not a private company any longer having just completed an IPO.
Shooot how dare you bring that up? Are you are not buying into "the program" ?

mike

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.