Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Hilton Honors Government and Military Rates" thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 11, 2019, 12:05 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: SPN Lifer
Do government rates qualify for points?
-Yes, government rate stays receive full points.
Apparent acceptable forms of government identification:
• DD Forms 2, 1173, 1173-1 (ID cards)
• Credit card issued by a government entity
-----
Will Hilton check my government ID when I check in?
-It depends:
Starting on June 14, 2019, FlyerTalk members are reporting increased scrutiny in checking for proof that guests are eligible to pay government rates to stay:
-----
FlyerTalk members report successfully bypassing the front desk when staying at a property with Digital Key enabled, thus avoiding being checked for government identification.
Print Wikipost

Consolidated "Hilton Honors Government and Military Rates" thread

Search this Thread

Old Oct 31, 2009, 9:50 am

Programs: UA1k3.00mm;AAex-EXP;Hy Glob;Acc Plt;HH Dia;Onyx Plt;Mar LT Tit;IHG DiAm;RR P;RRA G;BW D;Hcom G
SteveinSTL,
Government rates are important to govt. employees bc the rate offered is usually the maximum lodging rate the employee will be reimbursed for official travel. Of course, the employee can choose a less expensive rate, if it's available, to save the government money. Or the employee can choose a higher rate, and not be reimbursed for the difference.

Hotels will pull the govt. rates for a particular day as inventory dries up. It's not like with city pair airline contracts where (after the contract is signed with the federal government), the airline must sell any available seat at the contract rate to a govt. employee traveling on official business.
Old Oct 31, 2009, 8:39 pm

Programs: AA Plat 2MM,Alaska MVP Gold, HH Diamond
a little humor...

Originally Posted by AGS
What does bailout money have to do with gov't travel? Are you under the impression that gov't rates are a new phenomena, maybe somehow associated with the bailout? I think you are confusing a lot of things, none of which are really related.

AGS
It was a joke, hence the reference to Barron Hilton.
Old Oct 31, 2009, 11:08 pm

Programs: UA 2MM, AA 600k, DL 500k, Hyatt GP 1M, HH Gold, Rad. Gold, CP Gold, Miracle Fruit-su Club
I have worked for republican (and democrat) Administrations in both federal and state (CA) governments (Civil Service) and, ironically, what the government will pay goes up during republican Administrations. It really went up during the last one. And so did the hotel government rates. Not just Hilton's. Go figure...*

Anyway, I really thought that the OP was going to be about that - as subsequent commenters have observed - that Government Rates sure ain't what they used to be.....

And adding to what SeamusSA describes, these are market segments, each with its own fuzzy demand curve and demand elasticity. And remember that Defense is in there with the Government Rate.

* So my colleagues and I were trying to figure it out (some of us long ago - Reagan era - gummint employees, some current), and we surmised that the GSA might be more willing to point some more resources in the direction of the hotels in a republican Administration (see "Defense" above). And reason number two, actually part of #1, might be that they don't have anyone beating on them about it. Speculation, as these are technical people, not privy to the thinking of the political appointees who make such policy.
Old Sep 12, 2010, 12:30 pm

Programs: United 0, HH Gold
Site to Search for the Government Rate

One thing I wish the HHonors site had that Mariott has is the ability to search for the government rate among a bunch of hotels (instead of each individually).

Apologies if this is already posted, but I came upon this site recently:

http://www.hilton.com/en/hi/themes/gov/index.jhtml

It's not perfect... but pretty much where is says "May be Available," it's not. And if you know the per diem rate, you can spot it on the list of available hotels. This should save me some time and aggravation.
Old Sep 12, 2010, 1:13 pm

Programs: AA EXP MM, HHonors Lifetime Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Ti, UA Silver
One of my old favorites.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hilto...l#post12261401

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/8343085-post25.html

It is a shame that you have to go to a separate site to get good usability in finding gov rates though. The functionality would be easy to add to the HH site ala the MR site where its one simple radio button to do an auto gov rate search for an area.
Old Sep 12, 2010, 4:36 pm

Programs: AA Plat, Hilton Diamond
More than hiltons can be found at Fedrooms.gov
Old Sep 12, 2010, 7:59 pm

What are the rules for using a Govt rate? What ID is required?

I am planning a trip with a friend and my 16 year old son. The Govt rate is about $50 a night cheaper than any other rate I can find.

I do work for the Govt (Federal, Australia) but my work ID only has a pic and Exp Date and I am not travelling for buiness.

Can I still use this rate? If so what ID would they need?
Old Sep 12, 2010, 9:43 pm

Originally Posted by yarrowfell
What are the rules for using a Govt rate? What ID is required?

I am planning a trip with a friend and my 16 year old son. The Govt rate is about $50 a night cheaper than any other rate I can find.

I do work for the Govt (Federal, Australia) but my work ID only has a pic and Exp Date and I am not travelling for buiness.

Can I still use this rate? If so what ID would they need?
First place to look is the rate rules for the room you're booking.

Some are eligible only for official business, while others are good for government travelers on official or leisure travel. Some are mute on this and then it can be a bit open to interpretation.

Some state that the traveler must be a US federal govt employee. Others are for US state government employees. I haven't seen many US hotels that offer gov rate rooms for foreign gov employees, but Australian HH hotels might work for Australian gov employees.

Fo IDs it can be a bit of a toss up. Some properties in the US ask for them every time while others never do. Again, I don't know about Australia properties.
Old Sep 13, 2010, 7:26 pm

Originally Posted by PHLGovFlyer
First place to look is the rate rules for the room you're booking.

Some are eligible only for official business, while others are good for government travelers on official or leisure travel. Some are mute on this and then it can be a bit open to interpretation.
Hilton Melbourne International Airport
Arrival Drive, Melbourne Airport, Melbourne, Australia 3045
Tel: 61-3-8336-2000 Fax: 61-3-8336-2001

Rate Type Details

Rate Type:
WORLDWIDE GOVT. RATE
ID REQUIRED AT CHECK IN 1.5% CREDIT CARD SURCHARGE APPLICABLE

This is all it says. Do you think I am safe to book at this rate?
Old Sep 13, 2010, 9:33 pm

Originally Posted by yarrowfell
Rate Type:
WORLDWIDE GOVT. RATE
ID REQUIRED AT CHECK IN 1.5% CREDIT CARD SURCHARGE APPLICABLE

This is all it says. Do you think I am safe to book at this rate?
I'd book it. Rate rules say it all...

"Worldwide Govt. Rate" -- So its good for all gov folk everywhere. Easy interpretation on that one.

Completely silent on 'official business' vs. personal travel etc., so I'd say you're good to go.

Last edited by PHLGovFlyer; Sep 14, 2010 at 5:24 am Reason: clarification
Old Sep 14, 2010, 12:07 am

Programs: HHonours
If in doubt, take a business card?

I can guarantee that my mother, who works for local government, stayed at Hilton Melbourne Airport, using her business card to identify her as a local govt employee. She was on a leisure trip.
Old Sep 14, 2010, 7:32 pm

Thanks for the replies. Have booked at this rate. Will see how it goes.
Old Nov 24, 2010, 6:47 am

separate space for gov't travelers on flyertalk?

Back a year or two ago I think I remember some talk about there being a separate space for gov't travelers here on flyertalk? Was that abandoned or still in the works? Anyone know?
Old Nov 24, 2010, 7:38 am

Programs: UA Gold MM, AA Gold MM, Marriott Plat LT, HH Gold, IHG Plat, WoH Discvst, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by lexie
Back a year or two ago I think I remember some talk about there being a separate space for gov't travelers here on flyertalk? Was that abandoned or still in the works? Anyone know?
Back in August 2006, the FT Board apparently addressed the issue, but per this post, the motion to create a Government Travelers Forum (as a sub-forum of the Special Interest Travel Forum) failed. You might PM one or more of the voting Board members shown in that post for info on why. (I don't know.)
Old Feb 4, 2011, 2:40 pm

Programs: AA, MR
government rate

I am a state employee but the only rate I see is for US government does that mean for all govt employees?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.