Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hilton Barcelona {ESP}

Search this Thread

Old Sep 8, 2000, 11:38 am
Original Poster

Programs: SK EBD, AX Cent, SPG Gold, HH Diamond, Club-A Plat, Avis' PC, CC Gold,Hertz PC, CX Diamond,BA Bronz
Arrow Hilton Barcelona {ESP}

I'll be going to BCN late November as part of a larger group for a big convention. We'll be staying at the Hilton, probably at a heavily discounted rate. My HH level is Gold VIP.
1. What's the hotel like?
2. What are my chances of upgrading to Executive level or a suite?
Old Sep 8, 2000, 3:09 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA: 2 MM
I stayed at the Barcelona Hilton last October. The hotel is in a nice area - but not very close to tourist attractions. I am (was) Gold VIP. I was very disappointed in the room in that it was VERY small. Otherwise it was fine. Its an ultra-modern hotel. My other experiences in Europe at Hiltons have all been very welcoming and positive as a Gold VIP - fruit basket, champaign or wine to greet me. No one was rude, it was just your typical impersonal U.S. big hotel type stay. Perhaps it was my fault for not asking for an upgrade but my other experiences had been so positive I didn't think it necessary. That said, if you haven't been there before, the city is wonderful. Hope you have lots of free time and don't mind eating LATE. Let me know if you'd like some tips on things to see.
Old Sep 8, 2000, 9:14 pm

Programs: Affiliated with all, participate in some
I agree the rooms are small. My wife and I were there last Christmas and we received excellent service and attention. It is away from the tourist stuff and sites. Upscale mall a couple of blocks away.
Old Sep 9, 2000, 5:08 am
Moderator, Argentina and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lord of Malbec & all Wines Argentine. AA EXP / Marriott Lifetime Silver / Hertz Presidents Circle
I was there 3 weeks ago. The rooms are small, decor is dull.

The service is not bad, I have no complaints, but overall, it was a very "standard" experience. Also, while courteous, the staff dont know the details of the HHonors program, so trying to get an upgrade is quite a drag (I didnt succeed).. I had the feeling they thought I was joking or something. If you have a night off, I strongly suggest you go to a Basque Canteen, called "Sagardi" .... the best montados in town !!! The city is lovely, with lots to see. Have a great trip !!

------------------
Gaucho100K

[This message has been edited by Gaucho100K (edited 09-09-2000).]
Old Sep 9, 2000, 1:03 pm

Programs: LH au VS au BMI au
At last a post I can reply to. Ive been waiting ages to do this.

Right well, I was there 2 weeks ago for 3 nights, as to the HHonor system, well yep quite right, they new nothing, however that is because the reception is princibly run by young lads from bolton over there for a working holiday - thier spanish is superb btw. The restraunts are nothing special, resist the urge, walk down into town its worth the effort, come out of the hotel and take the first right and then keep walking. it makes a great night time stroll down to the old port. oh and i meant keeeeeeeep walking. Cabs are really cheap but make sure you pronounce it HIL - TON use and ON not an UN and no prob. I dont think there is a tapas bar we didn't visit, so sugestions available, I am only silver soon 2 be gold but do to a screw up i paid half price and got an upgrade to the exec floor. It is a bit pokey but barcelona makes up for it in itself. I am going back in 3 weeks for a 5 nighter. should be fun !!!!!!!!
Old Sep 10, 2000, 7:09 am
Original Poster

Programs: SK EBD, AX Cent, SPG Gold, HH Diamond, Club-A Plat, Avis' PC, CC Gold,Hertz PC, CX Diamond,BA Bronz
Thanks so far. I think I'll try to call ahead of arriving advicing the reservations dept. of my status.
jongar: Be sure to give me a report on your next stay! (Do try the restaurant Can Isidre or Passadis del Pep, both are hard to find, bur worth the detour!)
Old Nov 8, 2000, 6:42 am
Original Poster

Bringing it up front.

Going to stay there from 16th of Nov. and 3 nights.
Is there any difference roomwise between regular and executive rooms? Favourable room location? Hope of a suite upgrade?
Old Nov 8, 2000, 8:05 am

Adding my 2 cents worth.

I stayed at this location a few years back. I remember the Executive floor had a good bar area with free drinks at happy hour.
Of course the Spanish don't know the word "Non Smoking Section", and think non smokers come from Mars.

The Television situation was my bigest gripe. If your going as part of a group your sure to be out a lot. However I was alone and frankly would have enjoyed just relaxing after working and being out all day. Only channel in English was CNN!

Barcelona is a great city, but beware of pickpockets, they are everywhere esp. on the Metro.

I almost sent one guy tumbling down the escalator when his friend droped cards on the top, as we were getting off. I went through/over his friend with my foot on his back, and pushed the two behind me. Lucky for him the girl he was next to caught him!

They also try throwing coffee/ketchup or other things on you (or sneezing), "help" you clean it up, and disapear with your wallet.

Warn your group about this!
Old Nov 8, 2000, 12:42 pm

The Hilton is as others have said a somewhat charmless and modern building.Its in the heart of the business district on the Diagonal but quite a way from the tourist and nightlife areas (15 mins by taxi depending on the time of day)The hotel has a tiny gym but does have a club floor with an ok breakfast and drinks in the early evening.All in its a characterless but reasonably efficient hotel.As others have said Barcelona is a fabulous city.If you want restaurant recommendations let me know what you are looking for on here and I will give you some tips.I lived there for 10 years
Old Nov 8, 2000, 2:15 pm

I stayed at the bBarcelona Hilton 2 years ago on a point stretcher award so it only cost me 65000 for 5 nights. On arrival I asked for an upgrade as I was Diamond and they obliged. The exec club was ok and with a full bar from 11 am was great. lots of smoked salmon at breaky and it was a good cheap stay in a great city loved Seville(stayed at the fabulous Sheraton Alfonso)and the Posada in Ronda.
Old Nov 8, 2000, 2:48 pm

I stayed at the Hilton about 18 months ago. As Hilton Gold got upgraded to a junior suite, very nice. Just fax the hotel manager "to confirm the reservation" and remind him how important you are!

Free bar on executive floor is open from around 11am to about 10pm. Help yourself, but a bit boring with just a satellite TV and a whole wet bar to keep one amused.
Old Nov 9, 2001, 9:22 am
JAP

Location: Cork, Ireland. Aer Lingus (in the bin), BA Gold (woo hoo!), EBB Blue, HH Diamond, Starwood Plat, Hyatt Diamond
Barcelona Hilton ?

Can anyone (esp. edg1 !) tell me about the Barcelona Hilton ?
I'm planning a trip in Aug next year - as a Diamond VIP.
Your comments are appreciated
John P.
Old Nov 9, 2001, 9:48 am
Moderator, Argentina and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lord of Malbec & all Wines Argentine. AA EXP / Marriott Lifetime Silver / Hertz Presidents Circle
Stayed there for 2 nights early last year. I cant say anything bad about this hotel, although I found it to be really nothing special. Staff did not really understand the HHonors program (no upgrade, amenity, etc.). Also, I find the location is not that great, its too far away from the nice parts of town, I guess it depends if you are on business or pleasure.
Old Nov 9, 2001, 12:10 pm
JAP

Location: Cork, Ireland. Aer Lingus (in the bin), BA Gold (woo hoo!), EBB Blue, HH Diamond, Starwood Plat, Hyatt Diamond
Yes UpgradeMe,

A slap on the wrist for me - should not "post while brain is dis-engaged!"
Old Nov 9, 2001, 4:26 pm

JAP

I thought that the hotel and the service were great. The hotel is not in the main tourist area (it is in the business district on Ave. Diagonal), but a subway stop is close by, and it is only a few stops from the main tourist part of town (or a $5 cab). The hotel also has more of a business feel, but the decor was very nice (our room reminded me of a W hotel a little). I am an HHonors Diamond member and they did an exceptional job of recognizing my status. I was put in a nice two-room suite and given access to the club lounge, which has a great breakfast and a great evening appetizer reception (from 5 - 10pm). The lounge also has a complimentary full bar including premium liquor, good beer and wine, and local cava (Spanish equivalent of champagne). The concierge in the lounge helped with several very good restaurant recommendations and made reservations for us. I also received multiple gifts from the manager each day of my stay including: candied almonds, anchovies, olives, olive oil, brandy, a Barcelona Hilton tee shirt, and a nice bottle of perfume for my fiancée.

I would absolutely stay there again and would recommend this hotel to others.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.