Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Best Use of Hilton Honors Points: The Definitive Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 31, 1999, 5:44 pm
Original Member
Original Poster

Am I correct in assuming that the best use of HHonors points is for free hotel rooms? Are there any other way to use these points that are more cost-effective?
Old Dec 31, 1999, 11:28 pm

No, room are most cost effective!

[This message has been edited by sergio (edited 12-31-1999).]
Old Dec 31, 1999, 11:31 pm

No, rooms are most cost effective!
Old Jan 2, 2000, 10:08 pm

Programs: SkyMiles MM, HHonors Gold, Avis, Hertz
Can someone pls explains? I never cashed a single Hilton point yes, but always thought that converting them to DL miles was the best - 25,000 pts => 25,000 DL miles => 1 free R/T ticket. Is this not the case?
Old Jan 2, 2000, 10:29 pm

Programs: 2023 MH Enrich Gold (OWS), 2023 Marriott Titanium and Lifetime Gold
Hi Folks,
I do agree with the majority that rooms are most cost effective but if you can fit your schedule to the Point Stretcher dates, it will be even more cost effective. I had just saved 75,000 points in booking a 5 night with a Classic hotel with the PTS award.
Old Jan 3, 2000, 12:11 am

Programs: UA 1.050MM, PersonalCar 0.275MM
According to my HHonors membership literature, the standard exchange rate from points to miles is 5:1 (50,000 points gets you 10,000 miles on most airlines, including Delta). The exchange rate in the other direction is 1:2 (10,000 miles gets you 20,000 points). This makes sense to me, since airlines would be unhappy if people were able to transfer miles between their accounts with different FFP's. With the exchange rates as they are, people can, but at a 5:2 ratio (100,000 miles starting in one program would end up as 40,000 miles in another program), sufficiently unfavorable that not very many people likely make use of HHonors as an intermediate step to transfer miles in bulk. (Although either transferring just enough miles to top off an account with a program that doesn't allow purchasing a few more miles to reach a specific award level, or transferring miles out of an orphaned FFP account could make sense.)

Note that should there be a special offer made to exchange 25,000 points to 25,000 Delta miles, you'd be able to turn 25,000 miles on another airline into 50,000 miles on Delta --- not a very likely loophole to survive for very long.

[This message has been edited by pshuang (edited 01-03-2000).]
Old Jan 4, 2000, 11:00 am

pshuang,

do you have any more info on this 1:1
exchange btw. HH & Delta ? Sounds very
interesting
Old Jan 4, 2000, 11:21 am
Original Member and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM/MM, AA ExPlat, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia, National ECE, Hertz PC
Not only that, but you could also double your HHonors points if such an offer were made.

I'd be very very happy if they did a 50K HHonors points to 25K DL miles, which sounds more reasonable.
Old Feb 8, 2000, 6:14 pm

What to do best with HHonors Points?

I am new in the Hilton club, well I try to, because my old membership is expired and their website for registering as a new member has some bug and is not working. Tried via the phone, gave up after spending 90 minutes hearing that my call is important to them. Anyhow, I will try again tomorrow.

The main reason is that I downgraded my Delta Skymiles Amex card to a free Hilton card. Now, what is the best way t op use the points? If I understand corectly, you need to book the room first and then it takes several weeks before you get the certificate for a free night or so. Is my understanding correct? If yes, that is not really practicable in most cases, is it? So what other ways are there and what is the best way to convert to airline miles, which I actually favor.

Thanks for any hints.

[This message has been edited by reisevergnuegen (edited 02-08-2000).]
Old Feb 8, 2000, 6:33 pm
PG
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum
For best airline mileage get a Sheraton Optima instead. You could get the Sheraton Optima in addition to or instead of the Hilton Optima.
Old Feb 9, 2000, 7:34 am
DH

I agree with PG. Sheraton Optima is the best and hidden FF affinity card there is; no annual fee and 5K transfer bonus. Best of all, points/miles can be transferred to most of major airlines.

BTW transfering HHonors points to miles is the worst redeemption option.
------------------
"It is not doing the things we like to do, but liking the things we have to do, that makes life blessed." - Goethe

[This message has been edited by DH (edited 02-09-2000).]
Old Feb 9, 2000, 11:15 am

Programs: AA Plat, Marriott Plat for Life, SPG Plat, United Silver, given up on Skypesos for good
You can have either the Sheraton Card or the Hilton one. Not both according to Amex
Old Feb 9, 2000, 11:45 am
PG
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum
I have both the Sheraton Optima and the Hilton Optima. I use the Sheraton Optima a lot. I keep the Hilton Opima primarily as insurance to keep my Hilton account active.
Old Feb 9, 2000, 11:56 am

Can anyone answer his question. Just transferred lots of TWA miles to Hilton and i want to know how to use them

Charles
Old Feb 9, 2000, 4:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
I just got my wife a Cuisenart with Hilton points. Great deal!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.