Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Reward stay back-to-back with paid stay = no points?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 21, 2013, 3:37 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Wikipost instructions: signed in members can minimize or maximize Wikipost by clicking on [-] or [+] box upper right of post, and edit this Wikipost to update.

Hilton HHonors Terms and Conditions: Accrual of Points

3) A "stay" is defined as the total number of consecutive nights spent at the same hotel, whether or not a guest checks out and checks back in again. Specifically excluded from the definition of "stay" are the following types of ineligible stays:...(see T&Cs) If at least one night of the Member's stay is consumed with the use of HHonors Rewards Points, the entire stay is considered a "Reward Stay" and no HHonors Points may be earned, except that if Member is using Room Upgrade Rewards, any money spent on the original reservation will earn points and/or miles consistent with these Terms. Participating hotel will determine whether incidental charges incurred during either of those stays are eligible for points, except that Points will not be earned for incidental charges at Hampton Inn®, Hampton Inn & Suites®, Homewood Suites by Hilton®, and Home2 Suites by Hilton®.

Updated June 21 2013
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old May 29, 2011, 3:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: BA Silver, EI Silver, HH Gold, BW Gold, ABP, Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci

I just noticed this in the HHonors T&C, which I don't think I had noticed before. I think it came in with the April 1 update.

http://hhonors1.hilton.com/en_US/hh/...rual_of_points item 3, my bold
A "stay" is defined as the total number of consecutive nights spent at the same hotel, whether or not a guest checks out and checks back in again. The term "stay" under these Terms and Conditions does not include any stays of the following nature: [snip long boring list of ineligible rates]. HHonors points may not be earned for ineligible stays or during ineligible stays, including without limitation, folio charges incurred during ineligible stays. If at least one night of the Member's stay is consumed with the use of HHonors Rewards points, the entire stay is considered a "Reward Stay" and no HHonors points may be earned, except that if Member is using Room Upgrade Rewards, any money spent on the original reservation will earn points and/or miles consistent with these Terms. Participating hotel will determine whether incidental charges incurred during either or those stays are eligible for points, except that Points will not be earned for incidental charges at Hampton Inn®, Hampton Inn & Suites®, Homewood Suites by Hilton®, and Home2 Suites by Hilton®.
This would suggest that if you book a reward stay for some nights and a paid stay for some consecutive nights at the same property, you get no points for your room rate on the paid nights.

It also suggests that incidentals will only get points on reward stays if the hotel chooses to give them. Cue the popular resorts where reward stays are popular suddenly stopping to give points on people's $2k bills...

It further suggests that reward stays no longer attract stay or night credit!

Am I missing anything? Are these terms new? And I wonder how this works with Q3FNs etc. (not that I have any, having inexplicably chosen double points during Q3)
Old May 29, 2011, 3:57 pm

I can only tell you that IME, I have received points for both the reward and paid stay when the stays were back to back.
Old May 29, 2011, 4:10 pm

Programs: HHonors Diamond, AA Executive Platinum, National Executive Elite, Avis First
Ritz, how recent was that? I'm spending a few days at the Hampton Inn Pensacola next month, and half those days are reward stays. I was hoping to get points for the pay portion of the stay.
Old May 29, 2011, 4:17 pm

Programs: HH diamond
Ritz,
Was your stay before or after April 1, 2011?

I've had back to back stays in the past and they counted. I had to fight for one that was back to back with that goofy Diamond "sorry for the devaluation" cert (can't remember the name of that darn thing). But that was well over a year ago. I have NOT had any back to back since this came out in April.
Old May 29, 2011, 5:07 pm

Originally Posted by adambrock
Ritz, how recent was that? I'm spending a few days at the Hampton Inn Pensacola next month, and half those days are reward stays. I was hoping to get points for the pay portion of the stay.
Originally Posted by travelinfoo
Ritz,
Was your stay before or after April 1, 2011?

I've had back to back stays in the past and they counted. I had to fight for one that was back to back with that goofy Diamond "sorry for the devaluation" cert (can't remember the name of that darn thing). But that was well over a year ago. I have NOT had any back to back since this came out in April.
April 6-14 in Hawaii. 4-night reward, rest paid.
Old May 29, 2011, 5:28 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Hong Kong, January, four nights AXON7N and one night paid - all points from the paid stay, all incidental points from the AXON stay, with no problem, nor with stay credit. Yep, older than April, but for the record.
Old May 29, 2011, 11:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Can't you take your HH# off the award reservation when you "check-out"?
Old May 30, 2011, 7:18 am

Programs: IHG PC - Plat, HHonors - Gold, Marriott - Plat
I just stayed at WA Roosevelt in NOLA 5/5-5/7. First nt was paid nt (MVP rate), 2nd & 3rd nt were Q3FN certs. I had thur nt as paid nt because rate was chepaer tahn weekend rate. Points for the paid nt posted no problems. All 3 nts counted as well and the stay posted. I received on property bonuses as well.
Old May 31, 2011, 1:22 pm

Programs: Hilton Gold, WN RR
??!!!! This is majorly not good if it's true/enforced...Particularly because even as a Diamond I've been getting a lot of "nights not available for points/you have to pay" nonsense out of the Diamond Desk. there's a popular music festival coming up and they'd only let me book four of the five nights I wanted on points. So I now get zero HH points on rooms when I can't get an award and I'm forced to pay?

Seriously - this just reeks of unfairness. Why on earth does it make any difference if your paid stay is bookended with a reward stay? Although, I'm sure it's an attempt to prevent people from using points for the lucrative Friday/Saturday nights and then pay for Sunday and Monday....

All it's going to do is force folks into even yet still more hotel hopping. Or a different hotel chain, given the inconvenience it's going to impose.

Personally, I'll likely switch to another chain if I see I'm going to have to combine reward/paid stay and won't get points for particular dates.
Old May 31, 2011, 3:02 pm

But I don't think this happens as a norm. With some paid/reward stays, I have never had problems with points posting.

Originally Posted by divemistressofthedark

Seriously - this just reeks of unfairness. Why on earth does it make any difference if your paid stay is bookended with a reward stay? Although, I'm sure it's an attempt to prevent people from using points for the lucrative Friday/Saturday nights and then pay for Sunday and Monday....
Old May 31, 2011, 3:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by JDiver
But I don't think this happens as a norm. With some paid/reward stays, I have never had problems with points posting.
But the OP suggested that this is a new change to the T&Cs. If that's the case, maybe they haven't gotten around to enforcing it YET? Or maybe it's been in there all along and is not enforced now and in the future?
Old May 31, 2011, 4:05 pm

Programs: Hilton Gold, WN RR
A possible (likely, IMO) scenario...some FTer turns up here having not had points post from a stay and is told it's b/c of this rule, and that s/he should have read the T&C.

I'd have half a mind to call DD and ask about this, if I thought they'd have any idea what's going on here. Anyone have hookup with HH management?

I suspect they'll start enforcing it once this 'book with cash & points' business kicks in, in earnest.
Old May 31, 2011, 4:46 pm
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
I had no problems getting points for back-to-back reward & paid stays in BCN back in May. They even were able to check me in for both stays up front so I didn't have to switch rooms halfway through (which I had to do in BKK in December "because they're separate reservations").
Old May 31, 2011, 5:24 pm

Programs: IHG PC - Plat, HHonors - Gold, Marriott - Plat
Originally Posted by exerda
I had no problems getting points for back-to-back reward & paid stays in BCN back in May. They even were able to check me in for both stays up front so I didn't have to switch rooms halfway through (which I had to do in BKK in December "because they're separate reservations").
The Roosevelt checked me in with both reservations (I had emailed the hotel ahead of time in the hopes of avoiding a room change) as well up front. I was upgraded on my paid stay which was already one room grade higher than my Q3FN cert got me. They kept me in the upgraded room.

I would be curious to know how long those terms have stated that.
Old May 31, 2011, 5:25 pm

..." If at least one night of the Member's stay is consumed with the use of HHonors Rewards points, the entire stay is considered a "Reward Stay" and no HHonors points may be earned, except that if Member is using Room Upgrade Rewards, any money spent on the original reservation will earn points and/or miles consistent with these Terms. Participating hotel will determine whether incidental charges incurred during either or those stays are eligible for points,.."

OK, but I am merely reporting that in Rewards stays, whether booked back to back with paid stays or not, I have accrued the points for incidental charges (and the usual room charges for any paid component) - in April and May, even though the wording above was added, apparently, on April 1.

Perhaps on can e-mail the HHonors lurker?

Last edited by JDiver; Jun 21, 2013 at 3:46 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.