Wiki Posts
Search

Since when is a Civic a Mid-Sized car?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 17, 2009, 8:38 am
Original Poster

Programs: HHonors Diamond, UA Platinum, Hertz President's Circle
Since when is a Civic a Mid-Sized car?

Has Hertz changed their car classes? When i make reservations under my corporate account, i chose midsize which says Mazda 6 or like. This week i get to the airport to pick up my car and i have a Honda Civic given to me. I go to the desk and ask them for a Mid-Sized like my reservation and they said Civic is a midsize and they can offer me a Carolla instead. I was shocked to be given such a tiny car. And i wish i woulda stayed with the civic because the one i have had no Cruise Control or Remote Door locks.

I plan to call Hertz and explain my dissatisfaction with the car i was given. Last week i was given a Kia Forte. I think something is seriously wrong here.

-Kevin
Old Aug 17, 2009, 8:43 am

Programs: DL-Dirt Medallion;US-Cast Iron Preferred; HH-Gold; Avis First
Corolla has been mid-size for years, and it surprised me the first time I got one. I think the car classes are just shrinking across the board, at Avis the new Malibu is full size.
Old Aug 17, 2009, 12:53 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Priority Club, National Exec Elite, Hertz #1 Gold, Avis First, Thrifty Bluechip
All car rental companies have downsized their fleets in order to keep costs down and to meet consumer demand for more fuel-efficient vehicles. Midsize is a smorgasbord car category. You can anything from a Kia Spectra to a Chrysler Sebring, and everything in between. The Corolla has been Hertz's midsize exmaple for a few years here in Canada. Down in the US, the prevous body style Mazda 6 was a midsize, but then it grew in size and has gone either to Standard or Fullsize. It doesn't surprise me that Hertz hasn't updated yet considering how often we see pictures of previous-generation vehicles listed on the website...

I'd definitely send them an e-mail and let them know about your dissatisfaction. Maybe it'll prompt them to update their website a little sooner...
Old Aug 17, 2009, 1:49 pm

Happened to me as well: my rental contract said "Mazda 6 or similar", they initially tried to give me a Civic and told me it was the same category.

If they want to call a certain category "midsize" and rent a Civic, that's fine with me - a Civic could easily hold four adults and their duffel bags, which as far as I'm concerned makes it a midsize. But the Civic competes directly with the Mazda 3, while the Mazda 6 competes with the Accord; any consumer who is told "Mazda 6 or similar" is going to have the same reaction we all did, meaning many more jet-lagged, underfed travelers getting into arguments with counter clerks who have no say in the matter. Dumb.
Old Aug 17, 2009, 2:39 pm

A Civic has been a midsize for over a year. I don't think it is fair to say that people compared '09 Mazda 6's with Accords. They are very different. The 2010 Mazda 6 is a fullsize.
Old Aug 18, 2009, 7:41 pm

Programs: DL Plat, UA Plat 1MM, AS MVP, Hyatt Discoverist, Avis Presidents Club, Hertz President's Circle
Today's midsize? A Hyundai Elantra. Are you kidding me? This was a B rental last year.

Significant car class downgrades going on.
Old Aug 18, 2009, 11:00 pm

Programs: AAA, Avis Preferred, Delta Skymiles, Hertz 5*, Marriott Rewards, Priority Club, SPG
Elantra

Originally Posted by noah
Today's midsize? A Hyundai Elantra. Are you kidding me? This was a B rental last year.

Significant car class downgrades going on.
An Elantra actually has more interior room than an Acura TL.
Old Aug 19, 2009, 12:12 am
ayg

Programs: SWA A List, HH Gold, Bonvoy Plat, Hertz PC
They're renting Suburu Imprezas as midsizes (YC in the case of the Impreza) in SLC unless you get the upgrade.

My response to getting one was asking the attendant why I just got a car that's the same size as a Ford Focus... which I could have paid less for according the picture and the corresponding price on the Hertz website. I drove 3 weeks in a row of Imprezas and did three weeks in a row of those survey's at the bottom of the receipts. I was given a Ford Fusion this week...

What is a G6 "Standard" size getting since the G6's seem to dropping out of the fleet quickly?
Old Aug 19, 2009, 12:29 am

Programs: Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by ayg
They're renting Suburu Imprezas as midsizes (YC in the case of the Impreza) in SLC unless you get the upgrade.
I actually wouldn't mind getting the Impreza this time around (I booked a C) only because I was planning on test driving both the Impreza and Legacy at my local Subaru dealership anyway.

I hope I don't get stuck with an '08 Corolla. I still see some of those in service, though they are being replaced with the '09s quickly.
Old Aug 19, 2009, 8:10 pm

Programs: UA 1KMM, Bonvoy LTE+A, HH D, Nat'l EE, Hertz Plat, Avis PC
I'd be overjoyed to get a Civic or Corolla or Impreza! It seems the only "upgrades" I get anymore are to crappy American SUVs...
Old Aug 19, 2009, 8:11 pm

Programs: aeroplan,amex platinum,hilton honours, emerald club elite, priority club
Originally Posted by TRD_808
I actually wouldn't mind getting the Impreza this time around (I booked a C) only because I was planning on test driving both the Impreza and Legacy at my local Subaru dealership anyway.

I hope I don't get stuck with an '08 Corolla. I still see some of those in service, though they are being replaced with the '09s quickly.
Car classes are determined as a combination fleet cost and physical size. A Civic from a "cost" standpoint would be in the same range as a domestic "mid size". Keep in mind Honda gives very little in terms of fleet rebates to the rental companies, which is why there is never a huge inventory or alloment of HONDA's in most rental company's fleets.
Old Aug 20, 2009, 2:35 am

Programs: Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by rentalguy
Car classes are determined as a combination fleet cost and physical size. A Civic from a "cost" standpoint would be in the same range as a domestic "mid size". Keep in mind Honda gives very little in terms of fleet rebates to the rental companies, which is why there is never a huge inventory or alloment of HONDA's in most rental company's fleets.
Yeah, I hardly see Hondas as rental cars - though I've been seeing new Accords as rentals lately, registered in the past couple months. I think they're Enterprise rentals but I have no idea.
Old Aug 21, 2009, 1:57 pm

When I worked for the largest rental car company in the US from 1995-1997, our car sizes were based more on the value of the car rather than the size. It's all about the daily rate. The reason the Civic is considered a midsize and a Mazda 3 is a compact is because even though they are the same size the rental car company paid more for the Honda. So they need to charge a higher rate thus it is in a higher car class than you would think.
Old Aug 21, 2009, 2:23 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Fairmont Plat, IHG Spire, SPG Gold, WS Gold, Hertz PC, National E Elite,
I was offered a Toyota Yaris as a mid-size!!!! I went in and he said that was also a new midsize. I said no way, and instead they gave me a Malibu, with SIXTY (60,000) kilometers!!
Old Aug 21, 2009, 2:30 pm

Originally Posted by kevin80
I plan to call Hertz and explain my dissatisfaction with the car i was given. Last week i was given a Kia Forte. I think something is seriously wrong here.

I actually do some work with Kia - while the Forte is a bit smaller than you're looking for, it's still a solid car and has been getting pretty good reviews.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.