Hertz Gold Plus Points Devaluation

Old Jul 2, 2013, 5:11 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA, AA, DL, US - SPG, HH, PC, CC
Hertz Gold Plus Points Devaluation

I guess the car rental folks were feeling left out of the party with all the devaluations going on in the miles and points world. At least they gave us a little notice before pushing the button...

To continue providing exceptional service to our members, we occasionally make changes to the Hertz Gold Plus Rewards® points program. We are pleased to announce that based on member feedback, coming soon we will be enhancing reward redemption options with new locations and expanded choices.

We also constantly strive to maintain industry-leading reward levels and availability. However, in light of rising costs, we find it necessary to implement our first reward redemption point increase since 2008. Beginning October 1, 2013, point redemption levels for Rewards will increase a modest 10–15% in the United States, Canada, Puerto Rico and U.S.V.I. This will allow us to continue providing both the quality and quantity of reward options our members have come to value and appreciate.

We thank you for your participation in Hertz Gold Plus Rewards and look forward to serving you at a Hertz location soon.
Old Jul 2, 2013, 6:18 pm

Two thoughts:

1. Hertz really doesn't make it easy to gain their points, so I'm disappointed that they're devaluing anyways. It's not like they're pumping out CC points like every other loyalty program out there.

2. They announce this... a week before the Hertz daily getaway sale? Really?
Old Jul 2, 2013, 6:46 pm

Programs: UA Silver, AA Gold, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
I've thought for a long time that Hertz points were one of the best values around, with excellent availability to boot. I regularly redeemed 500 points (which I earned easily every 2 weeks from business travel) for a free Manhattan day, which is $100+ out of pocket otherwise.

Car rentals are such a commodity... shame they are removing a major driver of loyalty. They are fast closing the gap between National's (weak) rewards program...
Old Jul 2, 2013, 7:10 pm
SWG

This sucks, but I am interested to see what the "new locations and expanded choices" are going to be.
Old Jul 2, 2013, 7:14 pm

Programs: Airline/TSA Avoidance Platinum, Hotel Disloyalty Silver, Hertz 1.7*
They've been giving out double points for months though. I don't feel this comes as a big surprise that the redemption amounts would go up after that.

Honestly, I'm not sure what I'm doing with them. I have about 10k points but I keep not using them because the rentals are so cheap and/or I'm worried about the whole insurance thing because I don't have full coverage on my own car. I keep thinking at some point I'll use the points for a Prestige rental or something, but I don't really get that chance on most of my rentals anyway.
Old Jul 2, 2013, 7:24 pm

Programs: DL, Amex MR
Disappointing move. I liked redeeming my e-rewards pts for 500 Hertz pts. Still the best redemption out there.
Old Jul 2, 2013, 7:48 pm

I'd like to see an option for one-ways such that if it's possible to reserve a paid rental, it should be possible to redeem points for it. Ex, luxury category. Hertz feedback folks, are you listening?
Old Jul 2, 2013, 7:57 pm

Originally Posted by satz
Disappointing move. I liked redeeming my e-rewards pts for 500 Hertz pts. Still the best redemption out there.
this.

One way award from LGA to Virginia Beach for 1000 pts and $66 in taxes, vs $270 all in? Nice.
Old Jul 2, 2013, 8:41 pm

Programs: UA 1k,Marriott LT PLT, Hilton Diamond /HYATT Plat, Hertz Pres, National Exec
My favorite part of the announcement is it will be a modest 10-15% increase.

I have had problems with points posting and a few other issues this year. As a Presidents Circle member I think I will continue using Hertz but also maintain my modest executive level status with National.
Old Jul 2, 2013, 8:47 pm

Programs: AA PPRO, Marriott/Hilton Gold, AMX-Plat, Global Entry
While we all want the best bang for the points, 10-15% deval is not going to be a game changer. Hertz award rentals are a pretty good value and, personally, I generate more points than I can use.
Old Jul 2, 2013, 9:12 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum AA Platinum UA Dirt Grey Marriott Ambassador Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by gloreglabert
Two thoughts:

1. Hertz really doesn't make it easy to gain their points, so I'm disappointed that they're devaluing anyways. It's not like they're pumping out CC points like every other loyalty program out there.

2. They announce this... a week before the Hertz daily getaway sale? Really?
Would you have preferred they do it like everybody else and announce it AFTER you have purchased the points?
Old Jul 2, 2013, 9:24 pm

Originally Posted by Fly2LAX
Would you have preferred they do it like everybody else and announce it AFTER you have purchased the points?
No, of course not, but I'd be more likely to expect the Club Carlson shenanigans of doing the deval immediately after the sale rather than right before. Kind of kills buzz.
Old Jul 2, 2013, 10:30 pm

Programs: King of Rental Cars, BA Gold, Virgin Gold, AA MM Gold, A3 Gold, SK Gold, Hotel SuperElite
Pure male bovine manure! If Hertz were so concerned about the valuation of points, they would not continually offer double points. It is simply a money grab. They're financing the DTAG acquisition by lowering their liability for outstanding points.
Old Jul 2, 2013, 10:35 pm

If it really will be a 10-15% increase, it's manageable. I can usually get pretty good redemption values for 1-day last minute rentals in peak season. Though I wonder if they will be adjusting the amount of points they give to Discover America buyers, to account for this increase.
Old Jul 2, 2013, 10:40 pm

Programs: UA, AA, BA, National EE, Hertz President Circle, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, IHG Plat, Marriot Silver
I really hope that they will allow to rent dream cars with points and the Full size SUV's

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.