Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > Hertz | Gold Plus Rewards
Reload this Page >

Did anyone received an email from ACFTCAsettlement.com?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Did anyone received an email from ACFTCAsettlement.com?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 8, 2012, 9:56 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA-lifetime Platinum (2MM), IHG-Amb, HH-Diamond, Hertz-PC, Marriott-Gold, CX-AM
Question Did anyone received an email from ACFTCAsettlement.com?

I have just received the following email from ACFTCAsettlement.com? Did anyone receive the same? Is it a scam?

To file your Election of Benefits Form online:

ID Number: 101XXXXXXXXX
You can file a claim for cash or vouchers from a class action settlement
about your rental of a vehicle at a California airport location from
January 1, 2007 to November 14, 2007.
A settlement has been reached with The Hertz Corporation, Dollar Thrifty Automotive Group, Inc., Avis Budget Group, Inc., Vanguard Car Rental USA, LLC, Enterprise Holdings, Inc., Fox Rent A Car, Inc. and the California Travel and Tourism Commission in a class action lawsuit claiming that these companies agreed with each other to pass on the Airport Concession Fee (ACF) and Tourism Commission Assessment (TCA) to customers for rentals at certain California airport locations. The Defendants deny all of the claims in the lawsuit, but have agreed to the settlement to avoid the cost and risk of a trial.
Who is included? Defendants’ records show that you are included in the settlement. Generally, the settlement includes people who rented a vehicle directly from corporate-owned locations of Alamo, Avis, Budget, Dollar, Enterprise, Fox Rent A Car, Hertz, National, or Thrifty for pick up at a California airport location from January 1, 2007 through November 14, 2007, and who were charged and paid an ACF and/or TCA as a separate line item on their invoice. Rentals from non-corporate owned airport locations, rentals made as part of a pre-existing agreement with a business or governmental body according to which the rental charge was determined, and rentals where a package price was paid to a tour operator or online booking agency (like Priceline or Hotwire) are not included and are not entitled to cash payments or vouchers.
What can you get? You can elect to receive one of the cash or voucher options below based on the total number of days you rented one or more vehicles directly from that rental car defendant at a California airport location from January 1, 2007 to November 14, 2007, and paid an ACF and/or TCA as a separate line item on your invoice. Benefit options are:
Total number of rental days Option Description
Any Cash $2 per day ($5 minimum payment)
Less than eight One—One Day Voucher one voucher good for free time and mileage for one rental day
Eight or more Two—One Day Vouchers two vouchers, each good for free time and mileage for one rental day; or
One—Two Day Voucher one voucher good for free time and mileage for two rental days
Vouchers will be issued in the brand name of the rental car company that charged and collected the ACF and/or TCA, and will be available for use at any of that rental car company’s U.S. corporate-owned locations. Avis and Budget vouchers may be redeemed at an Avis or Budget U.S. corporate-owned location. The settlement will also require the California Travel and Tourism Commission to adopt certain practices related to meetings and its communications with the public and rental car companies about Tourism Commission Assessments.
How to Get Benefits? You must submit an Election of Benefits Form by January 25, 2013 to get a cash payment or voucher. Using the ID number above, you can submit a form online at www.ACFTCAsettlement.com. You may also request one by calling 1-888-758-5690 or by sending a letter by mail to the Settlement Administrator.
Your Other Options? If you submit an Election of Benefits Form or do nothing, you will be legally bound by the settlement and you will give up your right to sue the Defendants for any claim asserted in this lawsuit or released by the Stipulation of Settlement. If you do not want to be legally bound by the settlement or be able to get a cash payment or voucher from it, you must exclude yourself by October 1, 2012. If you do not exclude yourself, you may object to the settlement or you may ask for permission for you or your lawyer to appear and speak at the hearing—at your own cost—but you don’t have to. The deadline to submit objections and requests to appear is October 1, 2012. The detailed notice, available at the website, explains how to act on all of your options.
The Court will hold a hearing on October 29, 2012 to consider whether to approve: the settlement; attorneys’ fees, costs, and expenses of up to $5,870,000; and a $2,000 payment to the Class Representative. These fees, costs, expenses and payments will be paid separately by the Defendants and will not reduce the amount of cash or vouchers available. The complete terms of the settlement, including the benefits you may be entitled to receive and the rights you may be giving up are contained in the Stipulation of Settlement, which may be found online at www.ACFTCAsettlement.com.
File your claim online at www.ACFTCAsettlement.com. You may also request an Election of Benefits Form and more information by calling 1-888-758-5690.
Old Jul 9, 2012, 2:13 am

Programs: WN CP/A-List, AS MVPG75K
I got the same thing on Friday. The link in my email directs to this 404 error.
Old Jul 9, 2012, 3:56 am

Programs: Hertz PC, QF Plat, Velocity Gold, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
I received the initial email about 2 years ago and then this one on Friday....
Old Jul 9, 2012, 5:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
I got this over the weekend, via a snail-mail postcard.

Of course I have no recollection of what rental(s) I made that qualify, which makes it harder to decide what to elect.

Here's the details on the voucher option, from the FAQ page:
9. Tell me more about the vouchers.
Vouchers:
  • will be issued in the brand name of each of the rental car companies that charged the Class Member an ACF and/or TCA (Avis and Budget will issue vouchers as Avis/Budget);
  • will be printed with the name and address of the Class Member and may be redeemed only by the Class Member or someone living in the same household at the same address;
  • cannot be transferred or reassigned to a different person;
  • may be used for the rental of a compact, midsize (intermediate), standard, or full size car class of vehicle;
  • are valid with applicable daily, weekly and other multi-daily rates and can be used with most other rate discounts the renter may be eligible for;
  • will expire 18 months after the date of issue;
  • are for time and mileage charges only and do not include one-way or drop charges, taxes, fees, charges, insurance and any optional products; and
  • may be redeemed at the brand of any of the issuing rental car company’s U.S. corporate-owned locations (Avis/Budget vouchers may be redeemed at an Avis or Budget U.S. corporate-owned location), but not at Independent Licensed Locations.
The main unanswered question I have is whether a 1-day voucher can only be used for a 1-day rental, or whether it can pay for 1 day of a longer rental period. The fact that you can choose either 2x 1-day or 1x 2-day suggests maybe not (or why would they make the 2-day vouchers an option?).

My usual M.O. in these cases is to take the cash, that avoids expiration date and small print hassles. But if it's $6 cash or a free rental day that may cost 10x that much, the free day is tempting...

What is everyone else thinking?
Old Jul 9, 2012, 7:25 am

the link in the e-mail does indeed 404, but if you go directly to the website at:

http://www.acftcasettlement.com

you'll get right in.

There's also a blank form found at the bottom of this page:

https://eclaim.kccllc.net/caclaimfor...ZSLanding.aspx

which actually appears to be valid for the rentals one did at:

Hertz
Dollar
Thrifty
Avis
Vanguard (who?)
Enterprise
and Fox Rent A Car

So if you saved your documentation from your rentals from January 1 to Thanksgiving time in 2007, you can get some free day vouchers or minimal cash out of this.

Since the last day to file a claim is sometime in January of 2013, don't expect to actually *see* these vouchers until the middle or end of 2013 at the earliest.

The fine print on the site doesn't say what kind of cars will be allowed with the vouchers, so I expect compact and/or mini size only.
Old Jul 9, 2012, 8:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
Originally Posted by DJMeatBall
The fine print on the site doesn't say what kind of cars will be allowed with the vouchers, so I expect compact and/or mini size only.

See the FAQ excerpt I quoted in the post above yours:

"may be used for the rental of a compact, midsize (intermediate), standard, or full size car class of vehicle; "
Old Jul 9, 2012, 3:08 pm

Is this real or is it a scam?

My own records show that I rented from Avis in this period and I have received a postcard by snailmail in England as a result. I note that the hearing date quoted is October 29, 2012 so I don't believe that anything is certain until then anyway - I am going put up a reminder to revisit the issue in early November
Old Jul 9, 2012, 11:29 pm

Programs: Marriott LTG, HHonors Diamond, Nat'l Exec
Originally Posted by swag
Of course I have no recollection of what rental(s) I made that qualify, which makes it harder to decide what to elect.
Once you enter the ID on the website, it'll show you exactly what their records show you rented. In my case, two 7-day rentals from Hertz (with dates and locations listed), and the choice between $28, two one-day vouchers, and one two-day voucher.
Old Jul 11, 2012, 5:34 pm

Programs: AA Gold, SPG Gold, Hyatt Plat
DH and I got this also. Not sure if we should take the money or voucher. I'm wondering if the voucher will be a major PITA to redeem, especially since I usually reserve my cars in advance online.
Old Jul 16, 2012, 12:47 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, UA Silver, Hertz 5*
I got 2 of these - one from Hertz and one from Avis. Also, I am fairly certain that Avis did not count all my days but I have no rental records from that far back to dispute anything.

I opted for the 2 day rental voucher for both my HErtz and Avis claims. Hopefully they are not a PITA to redeem.
Old Jul 29, 2012, 12:20 am

Programs: SPG Plat; UAL PP, Hyatt Diamond; HHonors Gold; Marriott Silver
I got this also for rentals from Enterprise. But I'm a little confused about the voucher option. Enterprise already offers free time and mileage (and do the other rental agencies offer something similar?), so how is this different from the voucher? Or is this some euphemism for a free rental. Otherwise, why would the voucher option be preferable at all?
Old Jul 29, 2012, 1:10 am
In Memoriam

Programs: Hertz 5 star, Priceline Hotel bidder. AA PLT, 1MM.
I got one from Alamo (2 days so I opted for one free day voucher) and one from Hertz (64 days=$128 --I had a nice "fat" coupon that year so I was paying almost nothing for my 2 day weekend rentals )

When we will get the money/vouchers will be the million dollar question. Anything can occur until that date in the future.

I put in claims for other class settlement suits & I have yet to see any $$ from any of them. We'll see on this one.
Old Aug 4, 2012, 7:33 pm

I received this email as well a few weeks ago. I just submitted my form and opted for cash settlement as I live overseas. We rented car from Thrifty for 7 days but their records show 6 days. I only have email confirmation of booking and no credit card payment so can not dispute this. Its only $2 extra, and even if I did dispute it and they disagreed they would give me a voucher which would be useless as I live in New Zealand. I have never been part of a class action case so will be interesting to see if we get paid out.
Old Aug 19, 2012, 11:26 pm

Programs: King of Rental Cars, BA Gold, Virgin Gold, AA MM Gold, A3 Gold, SK Gold, Hotel SuperElite
Vanguard = National / Alamo prior to Enterprise acquisition.
Old Oct 24, 2012, 12:35 pm

Programs: AA, DL
What airports besides LAX are included?
The website talks about "certain California airports."
I am list in their database for a rental from LAX, but I also rented from San Diego. Is San Diego covered?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.