Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > Hertz | Gold Plus Rewards
Reload this Page >

Hertz Buys Dollar and Thrifty Car Rental - Approved by FTC 11/15

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 26, 2010, 6:28 am
Original Poster

Programs: National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis CC, Continental Onepass

I was just reading this article on Yahoo

Hertz agrees to buy rival Dollar Thrifty for $1.2B
Buzz up!0 votes Send
Email IM .Share
Facebook Twitter Delicious Digg Fark Newsvine Reddit StumbleUpon Technorati Yahoo! Bookmarks .Print ..Related Quotes Symbol Price Change
DTG 38.85 0.00
HTZ 12.88 0.00
^GSPC 1,217.28 0.00
52 mins ago
NEW YORK – Hertz Global Holdings Inc., the world's largest car rental company, said Monday it has agreed to buy rival Dollar Thrifty Automotive Group for about $1.17 billion in cash and stock.

Hertz said the deal will give it an additional 1,550 additional locations, boosting its total to 9,800. It said it will boost its leisure rental business in Europe and elsewhere.

Hertz said its bid values Tulsa, Okla.'s Dollar Thrifty at $41 per share, a 5.5 percent premium to Friday's closing price of $38.85. The offer is made up of 80 percent cash and 20 percent Hertz stock.

Recently, shares of Tulsa, Okla.-based Dollar Thrifty have been trading at their highest prices in almost three years. The stock was trading at $2 a little over year ago, and was valued at less than a dollar in early 2009 because of lower demand for rentals and falling resale prices for vehicles, along with the problems facing its main supplier, Chrysler.

Dollar Thrifty shares rose $1.65, or 4.3 percent, to $40 in pre-opening trading.

Dollar Thrifty will become a wholly owned unit of Hertz when the deal closes. Hertz, based in Park Ridge, N.J., expects the deal to start adding to profits immediately, and said it has already identified at least $180 million in potential cost cuts from combining the two businesses.

Hertz separately is reporting a smaller first-quarter loss. The company trimmed its loss to $150.4 million, or 37 cents per share, from $163.5 million, or 51 cents per share, a year ago. Excluding one-time costs Hertz said it lost 12 cents per share. Revenue rose 6 percent to $1.66 billion from $1.56 billion.

Analysts expected a loss of 13 cents per share and $1.62 billion in revenue, according to Thomson Reuters. Analyst estimates usually exclude one-time costs.

Hertz said U.S. rental car revenue rose 10 percent due to higher prices, an increase in business travel, and better results for its Advantage leisure brand.

Hertz is now expecting an adjusted profit of 43 cents to 45 cents per share in 2010, on $7.5 billion to $7.7 billion in revenue. It had forecast a profit of 37 cents to 39 cents per share excluding one-time items, on $7.4 billion to $7.6 billion in revenue.

Analysts had forecast 44 cents per share and $7.45 billion in revenue.

Does anyone expect any of the benefits of Hertz to go over to Dollar or Thrifty?
Old Apr 26, 2010, 6:32 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium, AA Concierge Key, Delta, United, Emorates, and others
Interesting that so far these mergers seems to leave the old brands intact. I have trouble understanding why. They should have been economies by shutting down some of the weaker ones. The busses now look a trifle odd with multiple names. I hoep they eliminate a couple fo them. Alamo, Avis and Hertz work, they could all junk the others, could they not?

I know somebody will want to flame away over the loss of national Emerald Aisle or Budget or another. really, though aren't there a few too many brands?
Old Apr 26, 2010, 9:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
They should've bought DTG for $2/share a year ago.

Are there really 1550 locations that have Dollar or Thrifty but not Hertz?
Old Apr 26, 2010, 9:27 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Bates Motel Plat
Originally Posted by notquiteaff

Are there really 1550 locations that have Dollar or Thrifty but not Hertz?
I'm surprised to learn that there are any locations which have Dollar or Thrifty but not Hertz.
Old Apr 26, 2010, 9:41 am

This should be an interesting thread for me to follow.
A FT poster wrote of Delta, "If you can't be the best; at least you can be the biggest."
How is this decision going to help Hertz rent more cars to the public?
Or do you just have to be from Oklahoma to understand?
Old Apr 26, 2010, 10:28 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium, AA Concierge Key, Delta, United, Emorates, and others
Since Hertz was already the biggest what are the accomplishing? Somebody must have a better view than mine.
Old Apr 26, 2010, 11:10 am

Programs: Bates Motel Plat
Originally Posted by jbcarioca
Since Hertz was already the biggest what are the accomplishing? Somebody must have a better view than mine.
They are getting rid of competition.
Old Apr 26, 2010, 12:05 pm

Programs: Auto shop by CHO Frequent Oil Changer; Kayak Incognito Mode Platinum
Originally Posted by Dovster
They are getting rid of competition.
Don't forget adding strong core competencies in areas such as lying to customers about credit card insurance coverage, leaving cars outstandingly nasty inside and out, and claiming "airport" service through a location in a post-apocalyptic industrial park five miles away.
Old Apr 26, 2010, 12:31 pm

They are not the biggest. Not even close to being the biggest! Enterprise took that title from them a long, long time ago. The last time I saw the numbers, Hertz had a fleet of about 250,000 cars whereas Enterprise had 500,000.

Interesting that so far these mergers seems to leave the old brands intact. I have trouble understanding why. They should have been economies by shutting down some of the weaker ones. The busses now look a trifle odd with multiple names. I hoep they eliminate a couple fo them. Alamo, Avis and Hertz work, they could all junk the others, could they not?

I know somebody will want to flame away over the loss of national Emerald Aisle or Budget or another. really, though aren't there a few too many brands?
I absolutely think Hertz should maintain either Dollar or Thrifty. Hertz has never been known for cheap car rentals at airports. They try to be a premium brand. Dollar's customers are very different from Hertz' customers.
Old Apr 26, 2010, 12:39 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM, Hertz PC, Marriott Platinum/Lifetime Gold
This is all about fleet integration and better utilization. Apparently Hertz rents 95% of its fleet during the week and only 30-40% on the weekend. Dollar/Thrifty is roughly the opposite. The new combined company will have 23% of the US market, well behind Enterprise at 53%. But ahead of Avis/Budget at 20%.
Old Apr 26, 2010, 12:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by Dovster
I'm surprised to learn that there are any locations which have Dollar or Thrifty but not Hertz.
Right, I couldn't think of one myself.

This CNN story defines the numbers differently:

http://www.cnn.com/2010/TRAVEL/04/26...ex.html?hpt=T2

"Hertz has 8,200 locations in 146 countries, while Dollar Thrifty has 1,550 locations around the globe."

But then they also say

'For Hertz customers who don't need the "bells and whistles" of higher-end cars, the deal opens the door to more value-oriented rentals, Abrams said, while giving Dollar Thrifty customers access to Hertz's worldwide system.'

My Hertz rentals haven't really had any bells and whistles. Well, maybe the exhaust pipe might have whistled a bit with the nearly 40k miles on the vehicle we got two weeks ago in LAS.
Old Apr 26, 2010, 1:22 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, National Emerald Executive, Hertz 5 *, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by notquiteaff
Right, I couldn't think of one myself.

'For Hertz customers who don't need the "bells and whistles" of higher-end cars, the deal opens the door to more value-oriented rentals, Abrams said, while giving Dollar Thrifty customers access to Hertz's worldwide system.'
I laughed when I read that too....yeah the high end Toyota Corolla's with no keyless entry and 30,000+ mile Camrys certainly are high-end. I rented a new Buick Lacrosse from Dollar Thrifty back in November, they certainly have some pretty decent cars in their fleet.
Old Apr 26, 2010, 1:30 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
Personally I think it's about bringing two different rental models under one roof. Hertz has a good portion of it's rentals from the business market, or at least people renting on business. Dollar has a huge personal rental business. Hertz will now have way more people to draw from for cars that are sitting idol (and will probably get rid of quite a few, don't expect

number of cars in new company = number of cars (Hertz + Dollar + Thrifty)

It will also get them into a considerable number of airports they are not in, Hertz has counters in 26% of the airports, now they will have a presence in 38%.

That will not be a good thing, in airports (or other markets) where Hertz was competing only against Dollar for customers, you can expect that the rates will go up to Hertz levels, and not remain low at Dollars.
Old Apr 26, 2010, 1:46 pm

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
It seems like anymore the fleets of all rental agencies are roughly equally bland. I just finished a National Executive Selection rental at SFO - it was stocked with Korean cars and GM's, with one Dodge Charger SXT sitting at the end of the line. While I enjoyed the Dodge enough, it was no different than anything I'd get at the off-brands. The Thrifty neighborhood location near me used to have a lot full of Chrysler products - including some of the big ones with Hemis.

I get the merger from the perspective of consolidating fleets and operations - especially if these particular agencies have such complementary utilization trends. We will soon be at the point where there are really 3 viable competitors. Hopefully that will still yield fair pricing in most locations.
Old Apr 26, 2010, 3:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by cordelli
It will also get them into a considerable number of airports they are not in, Hertz has counters in 26% of the airports, now they will have a presence in 38%.
I wonder where all those airports are that have Dollar/Thrifty stations but not Hertz. Admittedly I mostly fly into larger airports, but the small ones I have been to (including tiny little Palmdale, CA while its UAX service was around) had Hertz/HLE stations and sometimes nothing else.

I assume they'll at some point start sharing resources/facilities like Alamo/National?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.