Go Back   FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs/Partners > Hertz | Gold Plus Rewards
Sign in using an external account

Old Jul 12, 09, 4:38 pm   #1

Programs: UA 1K/1MM; HH Diamond; GM for everything else
Angry Why rental at EWR are so expensive?

I am planning a vacation in NJ/NY in late August. When I checked car rental at EWR, all the rental companies including Hertz, Avis, Dollar list their weekly rate at $400~500 range. Why is it so expensive? What will be the options I may have to get a rental car at a close by location?

Thanks.
c.l.i.a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12, 09, 4:45 pm   #2

Programs: UA 1K 1.5MM, Hertz Platinum, Marriott/SPG Gold
Quote:
Originally Posted by c.l.i.a View Post
I am planning a vacation in NJ/NY in late August. When I checked car rental at EWR, all the rental companies including Hertz, Avis, Dollar list their weekly rate at $400~500 range. Why is it so expensive? What will be the options I may have to get a rental car at a close by location?

Thanks.
Two reasons: New York; peak summer season. Also the NY area is one of the most expensive in the country. Have looked at the coupon list thread? Have you tried slightly different dates? Have you tried a HLE or other non-airport location?
UAPremExecflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12, 09, 8:53 pm   #3

Programs: United 1K, AA-EXEC PLAT, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*
Quote:
Originally Posted by UAPremExecflyer View Post
Two reasons: Have you tried slightly different dates? Have you tried a HLE or other non-airport location?
Please excuse my ignorance but what is HLE? I'm in a similar situation. I am trying to balance the airfare and car rental equation for the lowest possible amount. I'm really flexible on where I fly into and out of (BOS to IAD) and therefore the rental can be a major part of my consideration.

I live in SEA & SFO and work in the BWI/IAD/DCA region. Son in camp in Vermont and we will go to Nantucket after I pick him up August 1st. Right now I am thinking I will fly East about a week or so before to work. My wife will most likely fly East around August 1st and then around August 8th fly out so I'm looking at about a two week rental.

Bottom line. Where are the best car rental deals to be found?
Flyingeagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12, 09, 8:59 pm   #4

Quote:
Two reasons: Have you tried slightly different dates? Have you tried a HLE or other non-airport location?
Please excuse my ignorance but what is HLE? I'm in a similar situation. I am trying to balance the airfare and car rental equation for the lowest possible amount. I'm really flexible on where I fly into and out of (BOS to IAD) and therefore the rental can be a major part of my consideration.

I live in SEA & SFO and work in the BWI/IAD/DCA region. Son in camp in Vermont and we will go to Nantucket after I pick him up August 1st. Right now I am thinking I will fly East about a week or so before to work. My wife will most likely fly East around August 1st and then around August 8th fly out so I'm looking at about a two week rental.
Old Jul 12, 09, 9:06 pm   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyingeagle View Post
Please excuse my ignorance but what is HLE? .
Ignorance enlightened. I just learned that HLE is Hertz Limited Edition.
Old Jul 12, 09, 9:12 pm   #6

Quote:

Old Jul 12, 09, 9:12 pm   #7
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8703e/4.1.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/104)

Not quite. HLE=Hertz Local Edition. These are all non-airport locations, many of which offer free customer pick-up and drop-off service within a few miles of the HLE office. Rentals at HLE locations are frequently less expensive than on-airport rentals.
guv1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12, 09, 9:13 pm   #8
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
I would take the train closer to where you are going and get it there.

Example picking a random week in August (the 17th to the 24th).

Hertz from Newark - $423 pay now per week

Take the train to White Plains - $194 a week.

More then worth it to pick it up outside the airport.
Old Jul 12, 09, 10:35 pm   #9
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by cordelli View Post

I'm finding this to be the case in many car rental markets this year. Seems to be the combination of high airport taxes, soft local car demand due to the recession, and the major car rental companies shrinking their airport-based fleets and rates rising as a result.

It's a shame because most travellers usually find it more convenient to rent at the airport, but when you start talking hundreds of dollars a week, it's amazing how you can rearrange your travel plans. It's also usually possible to RETURN to the airport for free or a nominal fee.
iahphx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13, 09, 11:30 am   #10

Quote:

Mike I've used North White Plains quite a few times (either because I'm in Westchester or I've been staying in the City and moving on requiring a car ) .
The train station is just across from the depot . Another advantage is I haven't been charged any OW fees including no charges for dropping off at JFK , EWR ,LGA and even upstate NY , including Rochester , Buffalo , Syracuse.
It's always worth using that particular location for a comparison.
IIRC I checked out places like New Rochelle and they were far more expensive than North White Plains .
Mike thanks for reminding me!!!
hammythehammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13, 09, 12:37 pm   #11
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Quote:
From EWR?? With luggage?!? I can't possibly fathom how this is worth saving $200 for.
ijgordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13, 09, 12:39 pm   #12
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by c.l.i.a View Post
Why is it so expensive?
The simple answer is that it is because it is New York in summer. Did you check rates at JFK or LGA? They're probably as bad if not worse. Daily rates from in Manhattan average $100/day in the summer (more on weekends, less on weekdays), and I don't think the airports end up being much cheaper.

I'm guessing your vacation will involve more than visiting New York City? If just NYC, then you don't need to rent a car; I would actually advise highly against it.
ijgordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13, 09, 5:34 pm   #13

Programs: UA Platinum, Hyatt Platinum, National Emerald Exec
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyingeagle View Post

Bottom line. Where are the best car rental deals to be found?
There are combination of CDP and $35/week off that can lower the rate somewhat. However most coupons require picking up and returning to the same location, which might not be worth it if you follow the other advice given here and rent off airport (and return at an airport).

Given how flexible you are in terms of airports to fly to, and because you are ultimately destined for Vermont and the Cape, I would avoid NY. Try PVD and BDL first.
Old Jul 13, 09, 5:40 pm   #14

Programs: Hertz PC; National EE; CX, Hilton, Marriott & SPG Gold; AC Tangerine
No need to go all the way up to White Plains, I found (as a quick example) the following:

Princeton Hyatt HLE (they will pay the taxi from Princeton Amtrak)
Midsize
weekly 1 week at 154.34 USD
Total Approximate Charge 202.46 USD

With a quick AAA search. With some work you could find something better I imagine.

-Brian
briantoronto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 10, 11:42 am   #15
Moderator: Hawaii-Based Airlines & United MileagePlus

Programs: Global Entry, United, Delta, Hyatt, Kimpton, Marriott, mLife, Best Western, and Hertz
Can anyone suggest a HLE or other location in NJ that can be reached via Airtrain or other public transportation? I'm also looking to find an EWR rate that's a little more wallet-friendly.

Thanks.