Wiki Posts
Search

2011 Camaro SS Review

Search this Thread

Old Jul 20, 2010, 6:01 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, SPG PLT, Marriott PLT, Hertz PC,National EE
2011 Camaro SS Review

I didn't see a master thread on this, so I figured I would post my opinion.

Just to level set everyone, I'm a car guy so I value fun over comfort/practicality.

The Camaro SS is fun, but not as fun as you'd think. You have to inevitably compare it to the Vette as it has the same engine and the same basic 2 dr impracticality. There's a good chance (in my mind) we've seen the last of corvettes for a little while, so you might as well get used to Hertz's new, best sports car.

The acceleration on it, while obviously good, did not feel as noticeably fast as the corvette. The 0-60 times look about the same (4.3 vs 4.7), so maybe it's a weight or gearing thing. Who knows, but it didn't slam you back in the seat as much as I would have thought.

To be honest, I never thought I would be disappointed in 426 hp...maybe it's because it only had 334 miles on it-needs more breaking in?

On the plus side, the handling on it is quite good.

Where it really falls apart is the visibility. If you don't like driving Grand Marquises because they feel cumbersome and large, don't rent this car. The seating position is terrible and if you raise it up to see down the hood, you end up hitting your head (or spiky hair) on the ceiling. *Mental note...less gel* It's very difficult to see the corners of the front of the car and if you're going up a parking ramp, just pray. Rearward visibility is just as bad - the rear view mirror is about 2-3" too short (that's what she said) and the C pillars create a massive blind spot.

It is much quieter than the corvette and the exhaust isn't tuned to be extremely loud at wide open throttle. Whether that's good or bad is more a matter of personal taste.

It has a Heads up Display which is kind of cool, but if you're tall you have to slump to use it or sink down even lower and further reduce visibility.

Ultimately, I'll rent them again if only to try and get the toxic green color, but I was a little disappointed in the overall experience. I doubt I'd pay an upgrade fee for them as I have in the past for vettes or prestige rentals.

I certainly wouldn't pay the 150/day they are asking for these things though.
Old Jul 21, 2010, 11:04 am

Programs: AA EXP, BA GGL/CCR, AMEX Cent, HHonours Diamond, Marriott Tit, Hertz PC
That's a bit of a shame, although I have the exact same complaints about the Mustang and Challenger regarding visibility and the seating position.
Did you specifically upgrade to an SS or was it a surprise when you picked up your Camaro?
Old Jul 21, 2010, 7:29 pm

Programs: WN,DL,BA
friend of mine rented a 2010 camaro from Budget and installed a 150hp shot of NOS. It might of been a V6 but it pulled harder than a V8
Old Jul 22, 2010, 8:34 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, SPG PLT, Marriott PLT, Hertz PC,National EE
I rented a "standard" car, which could have been anything (and most likely terrible) so the SS was much appreciated.

I just wish it had a little more immediacy like the vette did - if that's a word. Maybe I was supposed to have a mullet and a a tank top...

It's better than a camry, so I'll still hope for them in my spot I suppose.

The visibility in this made the mustang look like a pure glass car

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.