Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hertz charges a fuel charge every time

Search this Thread

Old Aug 8, 2008, 5:05 pm
Original Poster

Hertz charges a fuel charge every time

Every time I have rented a car from Hertz and returned it without any personnel present I always get charged a fuel charge.

This is in cases where fuel is literally overflowing from just leaving the gas station.

I always call and eventually get the fuel credited.

Is this Hertz's formal policy?

Couldn't' someone start a class action suit about this?
Old Aug 8, 2008, 10:42 pm

Same here.

Drives me insane.
Old Aug 8, 2008, 10:47 pm

Programs: AC, UA, Hilton Gold, IHG Plat, SPG, Hyatt
Same experience here, even when I have included the receipt for the gas purchase 5 minutes earlier with the documents on return.

No arguments or questions when I phoned to have the charge reversed, which would indicate the policy is deliberate, and well understood by the CSR's.

Sound like a good opportunity for a legal response of some sort, but me, I'm lazy and I'm outa Hertz.
Old Aug 9, 2008, 8:46 am

A hertz rep at LAS explained to me that a recent system change means that the refuel charge is now automatically added if you drive < 100 miles. They now have to manually intervene to remove it, every time.

Perhaps the best way to deal with this without hassle if you return after hours is to just not fill up the car if you drove less than 100 miles. You might be out a few bucks but at least you won't be paying for fuel twice.
Old Aug 9, 2008, 9:05 am
Original Poster

I am not a litigious person, but it does someone should sue them so they stop doing this.

It is a waste of my time.
Old Aug 10, 2008, 2:38 pm

Originally Posted by Reason077
A hertz rep at LAS explained to me that a recent system change means that the refuel charge is now automatically added if you drive < 100 miles. They now have to manually intervene to remove it, every time.

Perhaps the best way to deal with this without hassle if you return after hours is to just not fill up the car if you drove less than 100 miles. You might be out a few bucks but at least you won't be paying for fuel twice.

We do the same in the UK... <50 miles, unless a reciept can be produced. Despite signs clearly stating his at the desk we still get customers querying the charge.
Old Aug 11, 2008, 2:20 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott PP
I just got hit the first time. Worst part of it all, they had the wrong mileage out on the car and I got hit with 57 miles driven instead of just 25. I did stop and put 1 gallon of fuel in.

I dropped the car off with the keys and the rental jacket - marked, I DID FILL UP and marked full. What is the point of marking anything?
Old Aug 11, 2008, 2:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Avis does this too if you drive less than 75 miles. Similarly, even when returning the car to a real live person, telling them you bought gas, and showing the receipt, I invariably see the fuel charge on the bill. I then have to go into the office to dispute it.

I think complaints for this should be directed to the Department of Revenue Enhancement.
Old Aug 11, 2008, 2:26 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott PP
I have no problems at my local HLE, but this rental was from the executive airport (my HLE is now closed on Sunday and told me to go there)... Sounds like a location problem.
Old Aug 11, 2008, 2:36 pm

Programs: Delta Skymiles, Marriott Lifetime Platinum

Unless your corporate travel policy requires you to refuel, and will not reimburse for rental car fuel charges
Old Aug 11, 2008, 5:03 pm

Programs: BA Silver, IHG Gold, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*, Avis Preferred Plus, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by olivetti
We do the same in the UK... <50 miles, unless a reciept can be produced. Despite signs clearly stating his at the desk we still get customers querying the charge.
Too right. I would query the charge too, if I was presumed guilty until I could prove otherwise. You can see why Reason077's suggestion might prove popular.

It's sad that it has to be a battle of wits between the customer and the rental company.
Old Aug 11, 2008, 5:09 pm

Programs: UA Premier 1K
Out of curiosity, how much was the charge? I usually return cars to attendants, and haven't gotten charged. One time about a year ago I got a $10 extra charge to my credit card after the fact and was told over the phone it was a fuel charge. Thought I returned it full... maybe it actually was?

pc
Old Aug 11, 2008, 7:46 pm

Programs: DL DM 3 MM AA PLAT HH Lifetime Diamond Marriott Plat AMB lifetime titanium Hertz PC

Good to know I never heard that before.
Old Aug 13, 2008, 5:19 pm

Programs: BA Silver / Bonyoy Platinum
I rent regularly from Avis and they are fairly upfront in the rental office with signs and sometimes verbally mentioning the $13.99 charge if you drive under 75 miles and don't show a fuel reciept. Luckily I am usually dropping off at the airport and the agent with the mobile printer checks me back in and I can ensure no fuel charge.

But with the price of gas at $4+ if the car does 16-20mpg then I reckon if you have done 60-75 miles then it is less hassle to just pay the $13.99 and you might even be a few cents/$$ better off!
Old Aug 14, 2008, 12:50 am

Programs: PC Platinum, HH Diamond, Starwood Gold, Delta Gold, Avis First, Hertz Gold Plus, Glee Club, Yearbook
Why do they charge the credit if the needle is at F when they turn the car on? I've yet to be charged this fee when I've returned my cars, but now I'm paranoid.

Our company books unlimited milage, and we're required (at pain of not being reimbursed) to deny refill costs/surcharges and completely fill our cars at the gas station closest to the rental agency.

Look, my receipt is going on my expense report. My company gets first dibs on it. I don't see the legality or good PR for charging customers a fee that one turn of a key can prove is not valid.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.