Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > Hertz | Gold Plus Rewards
Reload this Page >

What's the highest mileage vehicle Hertz has tried to give you?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What's the highest mileage vehicle Hertz has tried to give you?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 11, 2008, 12:53 pm

Programs: TK/SQ Gold, QR Plat, Marriott/Accor Plat, IC Dia Amb, HH Gold, Hertz PC
Just got a 07 Malibu with 36,298 miles on it from my local HLE. Rental was for a one-way 25 mile drive to the airport, ($13+gas to rent vs. $60 for a cab) so I didn't really care what I got, but this car is ready to fall apart.
Old Apr 11, 2008, 5:41 pm

Programs: Hertz PC, QF Plat, Velocity Gold, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by climbmda
I have had more and more high mile cars lately, and not nearly the level of upgrades that PC seemed to get in the past.
Yes I have to agree
Old Apr 13, 2008, 5:46 pm

Programs: DL DM 3 MM AA PLAT HH Lifetime Diamond Marriott Plat AMB lifetime titanium Hertz PC
At PBI a few weeks ago, I got a Camry with TX plates, lots of dings on the doors and fenders, and 37K miles on it. I got in late, and had to rush to a customer site, so I did not have time to complain or exchange. I did let them know about it on return, though.

Not what I usually expect with PC.

I have had more and more high mile cars lately, and not nearly the level of upgrades that PC seemed to get in the past.
I am in the same boat. Overall, the cars are in worse shape wiht a lot of miles. I do not knwo how the other chains are at the moment. So I am unsure if it is a, because of the IPO or the economy.
Old Apr 16, 2008, 11:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

They tried to give me a Corolla w/ 33k+. Smelled like a musty rag inside.

I went back and paid $10/day upgrade -- it got me a Navigator w/ 1.5k.
Old Apr 18, 2008, 10:29 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, HH Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Yesterday at DCA I received a Camry with 35.5K miles on it which also had warped rotors on the front disc brakes that caused the front end to shudder when braking and tires that I would have replaced already if it was a car I owned.
Old Apr 22, 2008, 9:20 am

Programs: AC*E, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold, Hertz Presidents Circle
Local Hertz -> YYZ on Sunday. 46K (29K miles?) KMs on a Hyundai Sonata that smelled like an ash tray.
Old Jun 24, 2008, 6:26 pm

Hertz still have the high mileage cars running around that's for sure

Mustang in HNL 20,000 miles, however there were MANY more around with 30,000+ miles on it

While mine was high, it was a free upgrade from the Sebring convertible so I kept quiet and it was from a HLE, so I expect old cars!
Old Jun 24, 2008, 8:28 pm

At PBI a few weeks ago, I got a Camry with TX plates, lots of dings on the doors and fenders, and 37K miles on it. I got in late, and had to rush to a customer site, so I did not have time to complain or exchange. I did let them know about it on return, though.

Not what I usually expect with PC.

Highest car I saw come through my location was a Chevy HHR with 43,700.....
Old Sep 9, 2008, 3:25 am

Stumbled across and interesting article the other day, no idea how I found it.

VERY interesting reading for anyone interesting Hertz and how they operate

http://seekingalpha.com/article/9006...script?page=-1

Basically, the cars are only going to get older with Hertz over the next year or so!

Key points, my comments in brackets

The average age of our active US fleet at June 30th was eight months. (My previous thoughts were that Hertz ditched cars after 6 months, clearly that has changed)

At Hertz, we measure customer satisfaction on a real-time basis using the net promoter's core program, where we survey renters on a real-time basis and how lightly they would be to recommend Hertz. I am pleased to report our continued year-over-year improvement. North American Rental Car is 3 point, 4 points better and Europe Rental Car dramatically improved by 11 points. We have been able to improve our service level even while reducing cost is impressive. (So they dont' care about old cars in the fleet, as most customers don't seem to care)

In the US, when we analyzed the feedback from renters, the two most frequently sided areas for improvement relate to gasoline and customer wait times. (Two issues which I don't care less about, my name is usually on the board, and I fill the car myself)

During the quarter, we continue to age our worldwide fleet to 31.9 months, a year-over-year increase of four months and an increase of one month when compared to fleet age at March 31. With our current fleet plan, we expect the average age of the fleet to increase by a few more months in 2008. This should not impact our maintenance cost or our customer service. (Time will tell on this, but not totally sure what this means, but it's an increase )
Old Sep 9, 2008, 1:56 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, AS Lounge
I got a Corolla with over 38,000 miles on it at LAS. The car was in decent shape and drove OK so it worked out all right. I did check the tread on the tires before driving off.
Old Sep 9, 2008, 2:08 pm

I've gotten a few 25,000+ Hertz cars.

I can't complain. I'm one of those people that often racks up several thousand miles during a fairly short rental.
Old Sep 9, 2008, 2:51 pm

Programs: DL Plat, UA Plat 1MM, AS MVP, Hyatt Discoverist, Avis Presidents Club, Hertz President's Circle
Had a Toyota Avalon with 37K miles at SFO recently. It drove far better than many cheaper cars with 7K on them so I can't really complain.
Old Sep 10, 2008, 6:22 am

Reason for High mlg

Hertz is obviously cutting cost. It is now 2008. Vehicles are made better than before so If you see a vehicle with 30k, it should still run good. However, the way that some people drive cars, can make a car much older than it appears.

I have been with Hertz for nearly 8 years. I have always seen vehicles with 30k and more. Now it is becoming more and more common. We have 2 types of vehicles: TURNBACKS AND WHOLESALES. The turnbacks go back to the manufacturer at x amount of miles which is usually low. Wholesale we own and will squeeze every last drop we can......

Hope this helps a little...
Old Sep 10, 2008, 11:32 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, AS Lounge
Originally Posted by ih8complainers
Hertz is obviously cutting cost. It is now 2008. Vehicles are made better than before so If you see a vehicle with 30k, it should still run good. However, the way that some people drive cars, can make a car much older than it appears.

I have been with Hertz for nearly 8 years. I have always seen vehicles with 30k and more. Now it is becoming more and more common. We have 2 types of vehicles: TURNBACKS AND WHOLESALES. The turnbacks go back to the manufacturer at x amount of miles which is usually low. Wholesale we own and will squeeze every last drop we can......

Hope this helps a little...
Thanks! My main concern with high mileage cars is whether they have been properly maintained. Based on your experience are you comfortable that regular maintenance is done? Are the tires, brakes, etc., checked on a regular schedule?
Old Sep 10, 2008, 12:29 pm

Got 39.4k mile Rav 4 this week.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.