Community
Wiki Posts
Search

#1 Club Gold (Pres) lot exit ID check

Search this Thread

Old May 10, 2007, 2:26 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, AAirpass, & CK 2MM, MR Plat Premier, DL Plat, US Plat, UA RECOVERING GS
#1 Club Gold (Pres) lot exit ID check

Very odd question for you here. Due to some "issues" that involved a washing machine and other methods of destruction, my driver's license is almost dead. While doing another rental earlier this week, I got some static and almost refused as they guard felt the ID was "no longer valid".

If I put the ID in one of those little plastic cases that one carries in one's wallet, it looks fine (the major issue is a crack and some seperation of the laminate). Can anyone who keeps their ID in one of these protectors advise if the Hertz security personnel typically remove the ID from it? My concern is if I tape it in place, it will not be removeable.

And yes, I'm getting a replacement, but that process takes time. My job, on the other hand, will not wait.

Thanks for any advice.
Old May 10, 2007, 3:09 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hertz PC, AMEX PLAT
Originally Posted by DillMan
Very odd question for you here. Due to some "issues" that involved a washing machine and other methods of destruction, my driver's license is almost dead. While doing another rental earlier this week, I got some static and almost refused as they guard felt the ID was "no longer valid".

If I put the ID in one of those little plastic cases that one carries in one's wallet, it looks fine (the major issue is a crack and some seperation of the laminate). Can anyone who keeps their ID in one of these protectors advise if the Hertz security personnel typically remove the ID from it? My concern is if I tape it in place, it will not be removeable.

And yes, I'm getting a replacement, but that process takes time. My job, on the other hand, will not wait.

Thanks for any advice.
I have to admit that at IAD where I do 90% of my transactions, I rarely actually get the ID out of my wallet before they are shoving the contract back in my car and trying to get me to drive out of the gate. I'd just leave it in your clear plastic ID protector. If they ask for it, hand them the whole thing. I have never seen them spend more than a second with my card as everything is pre registered on your contract. Good luck.
Old May 10, 2007, 4:19 pm

Programs: UA 1KMM, Bonvoy LTE+A, HH D, Nat'l EE, Hertz Plat, Avis PC
Can't you ask your state for a duplicate license? It might cost you $5 or $10 but sounds like it's called for in this case.
Old May 10, 2007, 4:59 pm

Programs: Delta Gold, National EE, Hertz PC, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
Yea here in VA a couple of clicks on the DMV site and your DUP license is in the mail and to you in 7 days...NO waiting hours at DMV or any paperwork, eye exams, etc.
Old May 10, 2007, 5:46 pm

Programs: US dirt (from CP), Marriott Rewards Gold, Hilton HHonors Diamond??, Avis First, Hertz #1 Club Gold
At most of the Hertz locations I frequent, I never have to take my DL out of its pocket on the back side of my money clip. Maybe once in the past 25 rentals has someone told me they couldn't read it through the plastic covering and requested I take it out.
Old May 11, 2007, 9:07 am
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
DillMan did say that he was getting a replacement, mind you, but that it "takes time"; even the 7 days in VA is too much time to wait when one is on the road already or needs to be so in the next couple of days.

IME, the security staff do not care if your license is in an ID holder of any sort.

Mine is, and the only people who have EVER asked me to take it out are the wine shop clerks at Wegman's supermarket. I nearly told them I was going to just put my purchases back and buy them elsewhere when they absolutely insisted (despite having let a far younger-looking person in front of me keep her ID in its holder).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.