Go Back   FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs/Partners > Hertz | Gold Plus Rewards
Sign in using an external account

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old May 12, 12, 4:57 pm   #76
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: South Florida
Programs: Hertz #1 Club Gold
Posts: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by themicah View Post
I just got back from South Florida today and saw signs saying that at least one tollway (the I-95 express lanes in Miami) no longer has any cash lanes. I set my GPS to avoid tolls and was careful not to use any toll roads since I was in a Hertz car.

I believe there is a "SunPass" transponder you can use, but if you don't have a SunPass transponder, then you'll probably get nailed by PlatePass if you take a cashless tollway. I don't know about the other tollways in South Florida (Florida's Turnpike, Sawgrass Expy, etc.).
There is a sunpass transponder, but you can also link license plates to your sunpass account. If you go through a toll lane in a car with a plate linked to your sunpass account, it will charge the toll through your sunpass account, even without any transponder. This is what i did once in a rental when i forgot to bring my transponder on a trip up to Orlando, i just linked the plate and my tolls got paid through my sunpass account and i got no platepass invoices or anything.
bigboi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 12, 9:53 pm   #77
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Near Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, USA, Earth (PIT)
Programs: Airline/TSA Avoidance Platinum, Hotel Disloyalty Plus, Hertz 5*
Posts: 5,230
Quote:
Originally Posted by stc View Post
What is your concern about using your personal ez-pass on rentals?
Basically what others have mentioned: doesn't read and I haven't added the rental car's plate to my E-Z account (which will result in billing to Hertz and extra fee tied back to the rental info eventually), or adding the plate and getting charged for tolls for that car that are not in my rental period.

Thus I've stuck with cash on personal rentals. Usually I don't go through a lot of tolls on those (a short stint on the Mass Pike sometimes, plus a toll bridge at the Hudson). I might use PlatePass on a biz rental, but they just haven't turned up much recently, or they turn up for the one place I go where I don't have tolls.
CrazyOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 12, 9:27 am   #78
stc
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Newton Centre, MA, USA
Programs: DL 2MM Gold; AA Plat; SPG Lifetime Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hyatt ex-something
Posts: 1,143
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyOne View Post
Basically what others have mentioned: doesn't read and I haven't added the rental car's plate to my E-Z account (which will result in billing to Hertz and extra fee tied back to the rental info eventually), or adding the plate and getting charged for tolls for that car that are not in my rental period.

Thus I've stuck with cash on personal rentals. Usually I don't go through a lot of tolls on those (a short stint on the Mass Pike sometimes, plus a toll bridge at the Hudson). I might use PlatePass on a biz rental, but they just haven't turned up much recently, or they turn up for the one place I go where I don't have tolls.
OK, I've never had a problem with my personal ez-pass not reading in any car (or truck) I've had it in in the Northeast down as far as Baltimore.

My spare (third) ez-pass has just shown up. I'll have one in each of my cars and one with my travel stuff. Until something changes, my plan is to NOT add any rental cars to my account and just use my personal spare ez-pass.
stc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22, 12, 7:56 pm   #79
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: NY
Programs: UA Gold, SPG Gold, HH Silver
Posts: 280
Platepass website not working

So checked my Amex card today and saw a charge for Platepass for Hertz. Problem is that I can't remember when I used it last on a Hertz rental. It appears the website for platepass is down so I can't get an invoice.

The last time I used it in Houston, the surcharges were greater than the tolls
johnathome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 12, 2:31 pm   #80
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Florida
Programs: Hyatt GP Platinum,Hilton Honors Gold, Hertz #1 Club - President's Circle, National Emerald ExecElite
Posts: 122
Platepass has replaced the clunky transponder boxes on all of the newer issued vehicles although there is a problem with this. I was in New York and getting on the Throg's Neck Bridge which has EZ Pass lanes, but they have a swing arm gate to prevent people from just driving through without paying. I drove into the EZ Pass lane and expected the arm to lift, but of course it didn't. At this point, I had pissed off drivers stacking up behind me (mind you I had a Massachusetts license plate in NY) so everyone started honking. I managed to call over a transit policeman and pay in cash, although I rarely carry a ton of cash (toll is $6.50 each way) but I can foresee this being an issue for Hertz renters at some toll booths. The bottom line is I rarely carry more than $20 on me in cash because I use my cards everywhere so I will have to be prepared next time, but Hertz needs to think their strategy over or there will be other people like me stuck in a jam.
aviator4512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 12, 7:22 pm   #81
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Anaheim Hills, CA
Programs: UA 0P/0.566MM, Hilton Silver, Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hertz 5*, National EE
Posts: 4,244
Quote:
Originally Posted by aviator4512 View Post
Platepass has replaced the clunky transponder boxes on all of the newer issued vehicles although there is a problem with this. I was in New York and getting on the Throg's Neck Bridge which has EZ Pass lanes, but they have a swing arm gate to prevent people from just driving through without paying. I drove into the EZ Pass lane and expected the arm to lift, but of course it didn't. At this point, I had pissed off drivers stacking up behind me (mind you I had a Massachusetts license plate in NY) so everyone started honking. I managed to call over a transit policeman and pay in cash, although I rarely carry a ton of cash (toll is $6.50 each way) but I can foresee this being an issue for Hertz renters at some toll booths. The bottom line is I rarely carry more than $20 on me in cash because I use my cards everywhere so I will have to be prepared next time, but Hertz needs to think their strategy over or there will be other people like me stuck in a jam.
You say they replaced them, but with what? Is there still a transponder? Did the vehicle say it was PlatePass enrolled? If so, I don't understand why the gate didn't go up.
jasonvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27, 12, 8:49 pm   #82
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: NYC
Posts: 16,424
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonvr View Post
You say they replaced them, but with what? Is there still a transponder? Did the vehicle say it was PlatePass enrolled? If so, I don't understand why the gate didn't go up.
about that post as well. If there was no transponder, there's no EZPass, at least not in NY, AFAIK.
ijgordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27, 12, 10:01 pm   #83
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Anaheim Hills, CA
Programs: UA 0P/0.566MM, Hilton Silver, Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hertz 5*, National EE
Posts: 4,244
Quote:
Originally Posted by ijgordon View Post
about that post as well. If there was no transponder, there's no EZPass, at least not in NY, AFAIK.
At least I'm not the only one who was confused. Interestingly, Massachusetts is also part of EasyPass, so I would think that a car from there would also have a transponder.
jasonvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 12, 11:35 am   #84
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 187
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonvr View Post
You say they replaced them, but with what? Is there still a transponder? Did the vehicle say it was PlatePass enrolled? If so, I don't understand why the gate didn't go up.
Might be intended to work like in other areas. I use platepass in Florida. The plate is scanned and but instead of a violation, it gets charged to the rental. There were places with green/red light indicators in Florida I went through that went red for violation, but I just got charged the normal toll.

So yeah, if there's a gate, that's a problem.
weave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29, 12, 9:48 pm   #85
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: NYC
Posts: 16,424
Quote:
Originally Posted by weave View Post
Might be intended to work like in other areas. I use platepass in Florida. The plate is scanned and but instead of a violation, it gets charged to the rental. There were places with green/red light indicators in Florida I went through that went red for violation, but I just got charged the normal toll.

So yeah, if there's a gate, that's a problem.
As I mentioned, this is not a feature of EZ-Pass in New York. You have to have a transponder. I'm pretty sure all the other states in the EZ Pass system require one, or you will be charged a violation.

Florida is different, Canada is different, and I think California might be different (and allow registration of the license plate).
ijgordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30, 12, 2:07 pm   #86
stc
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Newton Centre, MA, USA
Programs: DL 2MM Gold; AA Plat; SPG Lifetime Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hyatt ex-something
Posts: 1,143
And no one has yet to explain what the OP meant by "Platepass has replaced the clunky transponder boxes on all of the newer issued vehicles although there is a problem with this."

1) The new transponder boxes don't work?
2) There is no way to disable the new transponder boxes?
3) Something else?
stc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30, 12, 2:37 pm   #87
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: NYC
Posts: 7,463
Quote:
Originally Posted by stc View Post
And no one has yet to explain what the OP meant by "Platepass has replaced the clunky transponder boxes on all of the newer issued vehicles although there is a problem with this."

1) The new transponder boxes don't work?
2) There is no way to disable the new transponder boxes?
3) Something else?
I'd be willing to wager that the OP got a car without a transponder (plenty of cars in the NYC area lack transponders) and mistakenly thought the car was still enrolled in Platepass but with a different transponder design.

That wouldn't be that hard a mistake to make for someone without a lot of EZ Pass specific Platepass experience since since (1) there are other parts of the country (like Florida) where a transponder isn't needed for Platepass to work with the local toll systems and (2) I'm pretty sure that the Platepass boilerplate is now included in all Hertz contracts in the NYC area (if not all of the US), which might lead someone to think that their car had Platepass even if it didn't.
themicah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31, 12, 1:04 pm   #88
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: New York, NY, USA
Programs: AA 2MMEXP, BA Gold, UA 1MMPremierGold, Hyatt Diamond, IC RA, SPG Gold, FPC Plat, HHonors Gold
Posts: 3,929
My last Hertz rental had an EZPass but no clunky silver box. The back of the EZPass had the label instruction to close if paying cash, but I could find nothing to close. I carry my own personal EZ Pass and refuse to pay Hertz's PP surcharges, so that meant either wait in the csh lane or avoid tolls. I chose the latter.
If I had slipped a piece of paper in front of the EZ Pass, would that have effectively "closed" it?
rfrost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31, 12, 1:25 pm   #89
stc
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Newton Centre, MA, USA
Programs: DL 2MM Gold; AA Plat; SPG Lifetime Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hyatt ex-something
Posts: 1,143
Quote:
Originally Posted by rfrost View Post
My last Hertz rental had an EZPass but no clunky silver box. The back of the EZPass had the label instruction to close if paying cash, but I could find nothing to close. I carry my own personal EZ Pass and refuse to pay Hertz's PP surcharges, so that meant either wait in the csh lane or avoid tolls. I chose the latter.
If I had slipped a piece of paper in front of the EZ Pass, would that have effectively "closed" it?
No. It needs to be in a "metal" bag similar to electronics are shipped in. When I got my spare EZPass from New York (we have three, one for each car and a spare for traveling), I got such a bag. I carry my spare EZPass in the bag. Then it doesn't read on the way to the airport and if the Hertz one in the car doesn't have a box, I can just put it in the bag.
stc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 1, 12, 10:26 am   #90
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: NYC
Posts: 7,463
Quote:
Originally Posted by stc View Post
No. It needs to be in a "metal" bag similar to electronics are shipped in. When I got my spare EZPass from New York (we have three, one for each car and a spare for traveling), I got such a bag. I carry my spare EZPass in the bag. Then it doesn't read on the way to the airport and if the Hertz one in the car doesn't have a box, I can just put it in the bag.
I'm not sure about other EZ Pass websites, but if you have a NY-issued EZ Pass you can order extra/replacement "read-prevention bags" for free. On e-zpassny.com, login to your account, click "Vehicles and Tags" in the left column, and click "Request Supplies" in the sub-menu that shows up. You'll find the ability to order read-prevention bags (and adhesive velcro strips) there and they mail them to you in about a week.

Anybody who travels with their own EZPass should be carrying it around in a read-prevention bag. I've many times replaced the EZPass in Hertz on Demand cars with my own and put the Platepass one in my read prevention bag while I drove around. It's saved me quite a bit of money (especially since Hudson River crossings are $3.50 on the car pool plan, but $12 with Platepass).
themicah is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Bookmarks


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 5:26 pm.




SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.