Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > Hertz | Gold Plus Rewards
Reload this Page >

Any IBMers (or maybe other company employees) out there?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 19, 2006, 11:34 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Plat, Marriott Platinum, Hertz Presidential Circle

Currently with IBM, they don't allow us to get direct mailings from Hertz (at the company's request), thus we're not eligible for the #1 awards. Has anyone found a way around this?
Old Nov 20, 2006, 7:05 am

Programs: Marriott LTT, Amtrak Select, Hertz 5*, AA Gold, IHG Plat, National Exec
Originally Posted by saleen22
Currently with IBM, they don't allow us to get direct mailings from Hertz (at the company's request), thus we're not eligible for the #1 awards. Has anyone found a way around this?
#1 Awards don't have to come by mail. You earn points, and then you can redeem them for an electronic certificate. So if the ONLY restriction is that you can't receive direct mailings, I don't see how this would affect your ability to participate in #1 Awards. Perhaps IBM simply doesn't allow you to participate because they get some type of rebate or discount in lieu of you earning points?
Old Nov 20, 2006, 8:15 am

Programs: US Chairman 150+, AA EXP, United 1K, Marriott PP, Hertz PC
Interesting... the firm I work for actually encourages their road warriors to sign up for #1 Gold. I wonder if IBM's CDP doesn't provide points. I know that in my case, our corporate American Expresss doesn't provide us with points towards their membership program in exchange for a more favorable interest rate to the corporation.
Old Nov 20, 2006, 10:15 am

Programs: nada
Based on what I know (that is, that IBM has THE notoriously favorable rate), I wouldn't be suprised if they don't allow points earning or such as mentioned previously. Considering they allow under 25, include insurance (i think, correct), some of these include gas, etc...it would not suprise me if they didn't allow points.
Old Nov 20, 2006, 10:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Create a secondary profile using the free Hertz #1 Gold from Amex Plat or US Airways or something (search the forum for info on how to do this) and add the IBM CDP to your new account. You should then receive the mailings, etc.

My company's CDP isn't as generous at the IBM discounts usually are, but we do include the under 25 availability, the insurance, etc, but never gas. We're allowed to earn points on our accounts & our #1 Gold is comped per our company contract.
Old Nov 20, 2006, 10:33 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Plat, Marriott Platinum, Hertz Presidential Circle
Originally Posted by bhatnasx
Create a secondary profile using the free Hertz #1 Gold from Amex Plat or US Airways or something (search the forum for info on how to do this) and add the IBM CDP to your new account. You should then receive the mailings, etc.

My company's CDP isn't as generous at the IBM discounts usually are, but we do include the under 25 availability, the insurance, etc, but never gas. We're allowed to earn points on our accounts & our #1 Gold is comped per our company contract.

Thanks! That worked! Also, I just learned that there's 5 star and President's Circle Tiers. I've rented about 40 times this year and I'm still gold. Do you think on my new profile they'll make me a PC memeber if I just point them to my old account?
Old Nov 21, 2006, 12:03 am

Programs: AA EXP 1MM, UA Silver, HHDmd, MBvLTPLT, PCAmb/Dmd, HYT Dis
When I was at IBM they actually signed me up for #1 Gold (one of the first things the travel department aka Amex did in setting up my profile). Since I was mobile, used my home address/contact information. If you can combine the accounts, something in their systems should click you up on the status (though it may take a few follow-ups).
Old Nov 21, 2006, 1:35 am

Programs: EY Gold, AS MVPG, BAEC Gold, DL PM
GS was okay with Hertz #1 CG.
Old Nov 21, 2006, 2:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by saleen22
Thanks! That worked! Also, I just learned that there's 5 star and President's Circle Tiers. I've rented about 40 times this year and I'm still gold. Do you think on my new profile they'll make me a PC memeber if I just point them to my old account?

It doesn't hurt to give it a shot - of course, they may tell you that you can only have one account...
Old Nov 21, 2006, 10:24 pm

Originally Posted by gforce
GS was okay with Hertz #1 CG.

It's late, so don't be too hard on me. I'm guess GS = Gold Service. What is CG?
Old Nov 21, 2006, 11:08 pm

complimentary gold
Old Nov 22, 2006, 12:36 am

Programs: EY Gold, AS MVPG, BAEC Gold, DL PM
Originally Posted by yashan
It's late, so don't be too hard on me. I'm guess GS = Gold Service. What is CG?
LOL, for Pete's sake, get a good night's rest mate. You've been working too hard.
GS is the stock ticker symbol for Goldman Sachs. CG is the regular acronym for Club Gold, Hertz's frequent renter program.

Last edited by gforce; Nov 22, 2006 at 12:46 am
Old Nov 22, 2006, 1:54 am

Programs: AA EXP/2MM - DL PM - OZ Diamond - Bonvoy LTT - Hyatt Glob - IHG Plat - National EE - Sixt Platinum
I'm with IBM, and have encountered the same problem as well -- so I take the 500 Marriott points option instead. We are also blocked from earning miles with certain airlines (such as Southwest). On the other hand, not having to pay an underage fee, and the days of $2.20/gallon contract fuel rates (when gas was $3.19/gallon) were pretty nice...

Wish I had known about bhatnasx's suggestion earlier though -- almost at the triple-digit rental mark for this year, and it would have been nice to have earned a few points for those.
Old Nov 22, 2006, 7:37 am

Programs: UA 1P, Hertz 5*, Avis Preferred
Originally Posted by prashok
I'm with IBM, and have encountered the same problem as well -- so I take the 500 Marriott points option instead. We are also blocked from earning miles with certain airlines (such as Southwest). On the other hand, not having to pay an underage fee, and the days of $2.20/gallon contract fuel rates (when gas was $3.19/gallon) were pretty nice...

Wish I had known about bhatnasx's suggestion earlier though -- almost at the triple-digit rental mark for this year, and it would have been nice to have earned a few points for those.
Alot of times these big/ger companies have blanket agreements with the rental car companies......I work for Lockheed Martin and we have a blanket agreement with Avis. Although we get a good rate/insurance etc... we can't earn FF points or pretty much anything else..
Old Nov 22, 2006, 8:12 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by gforce
LOL, for Pete's sake, get a good night's rest mate. You've been working too hard.
GS is the stock ticker symbol for Goldman Sachs. CG is the regular acronym for Club Gold, Hertz's frequent renter program.
Okay, we FT'ers like to toss acronyms and jargon around, but I gotta admit that one was stretching it a bit. I've been posting on the Hertz board forever and I don't think I've ever called it #1 CG.

And I had zero clue what GS was. I was thinking Global Services in the United Airlines context... Probably because I've been lurking that board a lot lately.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.