Hertz's No-Rent List

Subscribe
A few years back I got placed on Hertz's national "no-rent" list due to disputes I don't care to go into.

Since that time, I have a new address and driver's license number. It was my understanding that the DL # was the way Hertz tracked the list.

Am I correct? Am I now for all practical purposes off the list with a new address and DL #?
Quote: disputes I don't care to go into.
Tease!!

I have no idea how their no-rent list works, but I would assume that they could also track by name + address, maybe credit card numbers, or any other unique piece of data you've given them. I guess it depends on how many of their cars you've wrapped around telephone poles. DL# seems too simplistic, but again, I don't really know.
Quote: Tease!!
Please!
I may be making unwarranted assumptions (but I have to since you've given us nothing else to go on ), but if I had such horrible disputes with Hertz that they placed me on a no-rent list, I don't think I'd be in any hurry to go back and give them my business even if given the chance.
Back in the 80's when I worked for NorTel (then Northern Telecom) our entire company was put on a no-rent list for all the majors at the Toronto airport.

I got around it by using a different company name (BNR - heh)
Quote: Back in the 80's when I worked for NorTel (then Northern Telecom) our entire company was put on a no-rent list for all the majors at the Toronto airport.

Let me guess: you guys all decided that after an ice storm was a perfect time to stage company-wide Ford Tempo racing in the office parking lot??

I'm surprised our project team didn't get banned by the Avis location in Schaumburg, Illinois. We always rented crappy little compact cars from that location (IIRC, next to or part of a Hyatt hotel by that humongous megamall). It seems like everybody had some sort of minor accident in them. We had a very global project team in Schaumburg, including a lot of people who had never driven in the U.S. So some of it was simply unfamiliarity with the cars...but a lot of it was just goofballs being goofballs.
Quote: Back in the 80's when I worked for NorTel (then Northern Telecom) our entire company was put on a no-rent list for all the majors at the Toronto airport.

Sort of a similar story ... I work for a major media company and after Hurricane Katrina we had a huge fleet of SUVs (mostly Expeditions) from Budget and Hertz. The original rentals were for three weeks or a month ... but we kept extending them and extending them. Drove the rental companies bonkers!! Finally we had to actually bring back the vehicles to extend so they could see their trucks still existed and hadn't been stolen or washed away!!! At one stage, Budget threatened to set the forces of law and order on us!! lol But in the end all was well. Think they were very happy for our business!
Quote: I may be making unwarranted assumptions (but I have to since you've given us nothing else to go on ), but if I had such horrible disputes with Hertz that they placed me on a no-rent list, I don't think I'd be in any hurry to go back and give them my business even if given the chance.
Well, you're right, and I don't want to rent from them, but what I want to do is a priceline bid for a rental car at HNL. The last time I did a priceline bid, I got Hertz, and when I got to the counter they wouldn't let me have the car. So I am wondering if I am now inoculated against that.

I was hoping to get someone who has worked for Hertz and is "in the know" about how these things work, but it looks like no such luck . . . .
[QUOTE=Delta Hog]Well, you're right, and I don't want to rent from them, but what I want to do is a priceline bid for a rental car at HNL. QUOTE]

I used Priceline at HNL several times. The most recent two trips I got Hertz. Full-size @ $23(12/05) and $26(6/06).

Priceline will most likely re-book you with another agency if Hertz still won't rent to you... (mostly likely to Avis)
as a former cust svc manager with hertz, i don't even know the details to the no-rent list. it's a safe assumption it's tied only to your DL#. it's been a few years, but the computer never stated why the driver was denied, just gave a phone# should the person feel like discussing it. some folks were quick to add their thoughts (ie "must be that dui i got") which confirms it must be linked to their DL#.
Quote: Tease!!

I have no idea how their no-rent list works, but I would assume that they could also track by name + address, maybe credit card numbers, or any other unique piece of data you've given them. I guess it depends on how many of their cars you've wrapped around telephone poles. DL# seems too simplistic, but again, I don't really know.

The no rent list in Europe works very well. Hertz have numerous safeguards built into the system to recognise renters via various data provided by customer, however like any computerised system it has it's flaws.
Delta Hog... Did you ever figure this out? I'm in the same situation...
Delta Hog. Did you ever figure this out? I'm in the same situation.
They ain't that smart. When you enter your new d/l #, make sure you don't accidentally hit the wrong keys when you enter your DOB.
Quote: Delta Hog... Did you ever figure this out? I'm in the same situation...
Not specifically, I assume it was by driver's license number, because there came a time after my DL changed (my address changed too) when I was able to rent from Hertz again, but I never had discussed with them the no-rent list, or how to get off of it. It just kind of happened.