Community
Wiki Posts
Search

manual, stick shift vehicles in us?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 13, 2006, 10:42 pm
Original Poster

manual, stick shift vehicles in us?

Does Hertz have any stick shift/manual drive vehicles in the US?
Old Sep 14, 2006, 8:17 am

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC, National Exec
Never seen one - given the relatively small number of people who drive stick, they'd likely be an inventory nightmare, and I bet a lot of rentals would be for people who want to learn to drive stick, so the maintenance bills would be astronomical (a clutch a month sort of thing).
Old Sep 14, 2006, 8:47 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, AS MVPG, SPG PLAT 100
I've never seen a Hertz stick in the US, but I've had several Enterprise rentals that were sticks as insurance replacements or loaner cars. Last one I had a was a Mini Cooper convertible with a 5 speed. Makes me think that HLE might have a few sticks out there as insurance replacements...
Old Sep 15, 2006, 9:47 pm
Original Poster

thanks
Old Sep 15, 2006, 10:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United, American, Delta, Hyatt, Hilton, Hertz, Marriott
I have asked lots of times, but they're not available. If any location would have them, I'd expect either LAX or ATL--but no!
Old Sep 16, 2006, 9:11 am

For those going into LAX, I'd be happy to rent you the 12 year old Integra (5 speed) which sits in my driveway, but rarely gets driven anymore, for $50 a day. High miles, original clutch, lots of dog hair. I'll even throw in some ZE1 points.
Old Sep 16, 2006, 2:32 pm

Programs: AA EXP/2MM - DL PM - OZ Diamond - Bonvoy LTT - Hyatt Glob - IHG Plat - National EE - Sixt Platinum
Originally Posted by paullevi
For those going into LAX, I'd be happy to rent you the 12 year old Integra (5 speed) which sits in my driveway, but rarely gets driven anymore, for $50 a day. High miles, original clutch, lots of dog hair. I'll even throw in some ZE1 points.
Can I use a free day coupon? What about my PC upgrade?!
Old Sep 19, 2006, 6:45 pm

Originally Posted by paullevi
I've never seen a Hertz stick in the US, but I've had several Enterprise rentals that were sticks as insurance replacements or loaner cars. Last one I had a was a Mini Cooper convertible with a 5 speed. Makes me think that HLE might have a few sticks out there as insurance replacements...
i'd imagine the shelby would be a stick. i can't imagine they would put a vehicle like that and mate it with an autotragic but I haven't read a ride report on it
Old Sep 19, 2006, 7:01 pm

Originally Posted by medic
i'd imagine the shelby would be a stick. i can't imagine they would put a vehicle like that and mate it with an autotragic but I haven't read a ride report on it
It's an automatic, sorry.

My cars are all sticks and love driving a stick, but I dont mind having all my rentals as autos. Last stick rental I had was a Fiesta 1.6 down in PVR. The clutch slipped so much, likely a result of abuse and excessive wear from inexperienced stick drivers. Wasnt easy to drive smoothly with so much clutch slip.
Old Sep 19, 2006, 10:12 pm

Programs: EY Gold, AS MVPG, BAEC Gold, DL PM
Originally Posted by ContinentalFan
I have asked lots of times, but they're not available. If any location would have them, I'd expect either LAX or ATL--but no!
Yup, I did ask the lady at the Hertz Gold desk in ATL about availability of stick-shifts and she was like "I'm really sorry Sir but we don't have any!"
Old Sep 23, 2006, 6:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Sort of OT, but my car dealer used to have about 8 Audi TT manuals for loaners...I'd always beg for one when my car was being serviced.

After about 6 months, they got rid of them -- the cars kept coming back on flatbeds with clutch problems (probably due to "Driving a Manual 101, the Home Version").
Old Sep 23, 2006, 4:26 pm
Original Member and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM/MM, AA ExPlat, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia, National ECE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by medic
It's not, which points to the ultimate answer for this question I think, if a super-specialty vehicle like the Shelby Mustang GT-H is not a stick, then I can't imagine Hertz having sticks at any location.
Old Sep 23, 2006, 5:12 pm

Programs: BA bronze, Hertz pres circle, Marriott Platinum, hilton diamond
Originally Posted by Beckles
It's not

-and it really really really suffers for it....
Old Jan 15, 2007, 10:43 am
Original Member and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM/MM, AA ExPlat, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia, National ECE, Hertz PC
I was just pricing a rental for this weekend in Tampa and the Jeep Wranger is coming up at a reasonable price so I was thinking about reserving it, but when I click on the autombile details it says it's a manual transmission. I'm skeptical thas this is correct ...
Old Jan 15, 2007, 11:28 am

Programs: UA 1k, Hertz Pres, Avis Pres, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by PDXUAFAN
Does Hertz have any stick shift/manual drive vehicles in the US?
Hertz as a policy does not have any Manual drive vehicles in the US. That being said some of the individual regions have from time to time had a few in stock, but they were mainly used by employees..

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.