FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Hertz | Gold Plus Rewards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hertz-gold-plus-rewards-423/)
-   -   manual, stick shift vehicles in us? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hertz-gold-plus-rewards/601581-manual-stick-shift-vehicles-us.html)

PDXUAFAN Sep 13, 2006 10:42 pm

manual, stick shift vehicles in us?

Does Hertz have any stick shift/manual drive vehicles in the US?

cestmoi123 Sep 14, 2006 8:17 am

Never seen one - given the relatively small number of people who drive stick, they'd likely be an inventory nightmare, and I bet a lot of rentals would be for people who want to learn to drive stick, so the maintenance bills would be astronomical (a clutch a month sort of thing).

KosherKimchee Sep 14, 2006 8:47 am

I've never seen a Hertz stick in the US, but I've had several Enterprise rentals that were sticks as insurance replacements or loaner cars. Last one I had a was a Mini Cooper convertible with a 5 speed. Makes me think that HLE might have a few sticks out there as insurance replacements...

PDXUAFAN Sep 15, 2006 9:47 pm

thanks

ContinentalFan Sep 15, 2006 10:53 pm

I have asked lots of times, but they're not available. If any location would have them, I'd expect either LAX or ATL--but no! :(

KosherKimchee Sep 16, 2006 9:11 am

For those going into LAX, I'd be happy to rent you the 12 year old Integra (5 speed) which sits in my driveway, but rarely gets driven anymore, for $50 a day. High miles, original clutch, lots of dog hair. I'll even throw in some ZE1 points. :p

SpeedRicer Sep 16, 2006 2:32 pm

Originally Posted by paullevi
For those going into LAX, I'd be happy to rent you the 12 year old Integra (5 speed) which sits in my driveway, but rarely gets driven anymore, for $50 a day. High miles, original clutch, lots of dog hair. I'll even throw in some ZE1 points. :p

Can I use a free day coupon? What about my PC upgrade?! :p :D

medic Sep 19, 2006 6:45 pm

Originally Posted by paullevi
I've never seen a Hertz stick in the US, but I've had several Enterprise rentals that were sticks as insurance replacements or loaner cars. Last one I had a was a Mini Cooper convertible with a 5 speed. Makes me think that HLE might have a few sticks out there as insurance replacements...

i'd imagine the shelby would be a stick. i can't imagine they would put a vehicle like that and mate it with an autotragic but I haven't read a ride report on it

KosherKimchee Sep 19, 2006 7:01 pm

Originally Posted by medic
i'd imagine the shelby would be a stick. i can't imagine they would put a vehicle like that and mate it with an autotragic but I haven't read a ride report on it

It's an automatic, sorry.

My cars are all sticks and love driving a stick, but I dont mind having all my rentals as autos. Last stick rental I had was a Fiesta 1.6 down in PVR. The clutch slipped so much, likely a result of abuse and excessive wear from inexperienced stick drivers. Wasnt easy to drive smoothly with so much clutch slip.

gforce Sep 19, 2006 10:12 pm

Originally Posted by ContinentalFan
I have asked lots of times, but they're not available. If any location would have them, I'd expect either LAX or ATL--but no! :(

Yup, I did ask the lady at the Hertz Gold desk in ATL about availability of stick-shifts and she was like "I'm really sorry Sir but we don't have any!" :D

UNITED959 Sep 23, 2006 6:53 am

Sort of OT, but my car dealer used to have about 8 Audi TT manuals for loaners...I'd always beg for one when my car was being serviced.

After about 6 months, they got rid of them -- the cars kept coming back on flatbeds with clutch problems (probably due to "Driving a Manual 101, the Home Version").

Beckles Sep 23, 2006 4:26 pm

Originally Posted by medic

It's not, which points to the ultimate answer for this question I think, if a super-specialty vehicle like the Shelby Mustang GT-H is not a stick, then I can't imagine Hertz having sticks at any location.

aceman Sep 23, 2006 5:12 pm

Originally Posted by Beckles
It's not

-and it really really really suffers for it....

Beckles Jan 15, 2007 10:43 am

I was just pricing a rental for this weekend in Tampa and the Jeep Wranger is coming up at a reasonable price so I was thinking about reserving it, but when I click on the autombile details it says it's a manual transmission. I'm skeptical thas this is correct ...

DavidRS4 Jan 15, 2007 11:28 am

Originally Posted by PDXUAFAN (Post 6378297)
Does Hertz have any stick shift/manual drive vehicles in the US?

Hertz as a policy does not have any Manual drive vehicles in the US. That being said some of the individual regions have from time to time had a few in stock, but they were mainly used by employees..