Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > Hertz | Gold Plus Rewards
Reload this Page >

Got a Letter from "Hertz Vehicle Control"...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 14, 2006, 7:26 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1KMM, Bonvoy LTE+A, HH D, Nat'l EE, Hertz Plat, Avis PC

...accusing me of not returning a car from a reservation I cancelled. It says I can call during business hours or send an e-mail, so I sent an e-mail.

Has anyone else gotten one of these? If worse comes to worst, how can I PROVE I cancelled the reservation and never picked up the car?
Old Aug 14, 2006, 7:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Wouldn't they have to prove that you did pick up the car?
Old Aug 15, 2006, 12:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United, American, Delta, Hyatt, Hilton, Hertz, Marriott
Agreed! It sounds crazy to me. If a car is missing, it sounds like it might be an inside job.
Old Aug 15, 2006, 8:20 am

Programs: AA EXP/2MM - DL PM - OZ Diamond - Bonvoy LTT - Hyatt Glob - IHG Plat - National EE - Sixt Platinum
I agree that it's on Hertz to prove that you actually removed the car. Doesn't the exit booth keep track of when Gold rentals leave their lot?

Ironically enough, I just got a bill for a rental I never had -- thankfully, I had taken out another car at the same time, so Billing quickly removed the charges. So if you have a cancellation number, that would definitely help out in proving you didn't have a reservation to begin with. I'd call up Reservations and see if they can provide you one, if you don't have it.
Old Aug 15, 2006, 9:08 am

Originally Posted by prashok
So if you have a cancellation number, that would definitely help out in proving you didn't have a reservation to begin with. I'd call up Reservations and see if they can provide you one, if you don't have it.
Always keep a copy of those cancellations. I attach it to the copy of my reservation and file it away (hoping something like this never happens).
takaasen likes this.
Old Aug 15, 2006, 4:32 pm
Original Poster

In this case, the reservation was made by my office's travel agent, so I don't physically have a cancellation notice. I guess if push comes to shove, though, they'll have an electronic record I can go to.
Old Aug 15, 2006, 5:09 pm

Location: Orange County (SNA) CA, AA EXP, Hilton Diamond, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by prashok
Doesn't the exit booth keep track of when Gold rentals leave their lot?
I've been asked for my DL at every Hertz exit booth so they obviously have some sort of tracking system for people who pick up cars at the gold canopy
Old Aug 15, 2006, 9:19 pm

Programs: All the best ones.
Five months ago I got a telephone call from Hertz rental control asking how much longer I was going to keep a car I had returned three weeks earlier!
When I said it was returned, they asked if it was damaged because it had not been rented since. They then asked me to fax them a signed note stating that the car was returned undamaged with a copy of my rental invoice.

It's best to call Hertz and ask what the problem is? - and ask what you need to do to solve it.

When you cancel a reservation, print off the screen as evidence and always keep the rental return receipt. Now and again, these things will happen.
Old Aug 16, 2006, 12:43 am
Suspended

Programs: UA/CO(1K-PLT), AA(PLT), QR, EK, Marriott(PLT), Hilton(DMND)
I noticed at SFO on Monday, the exit booth jockey was making all renters sign a log. I signed in the wrong place and it hacked him off something chronic. Apparently, that computer thingy in the booth or the contract does not prove that you left with the car, but the paper log does!
Old Aug 16, 2006, 6:51 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Peter M
It's best to call Hertz and ask what the problem is? - and ask what you need to do to solve it.
This is actually what I did today, after a couple of days with no response to my e-mail (giving me the impression they didn't care THAT much about this supposedly missing car). The nice lady there typed a few keystrokes and confirmed that my reservation had been cancelled but never "voided" in their system. She took care of it and told me to disregard the letter, and said this happens "all the time." Luckily it's never happened to me before!

It was, of course, a gold rental so it was possible that the cancellation never got to the rental location. They held a car for me with the RA hanging from the mirror and the keys in the ignition. An inattentive exit booth person could have let it slip out, and this was the nightmare scenario I was envisioning.
Old Aug 16, 2006, 8:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United, American, Delta, Hyatt, Hilton, Hertz, Marriott
I am glad to hear that it had a happy ending. It would be worrisome to think that someone out there possibly stole a car using your name!
Old Aug 19, 2006, 5:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by ContinentalFan
I am glad to hear that it had a happy ending. It would be worrisome to think that someone out there possibly stole a car using your name!

I had them once rent my car to someone with a similar last name. In the end they figured it out and fixed it, so all was well.
Old Aug 24, 2006, 4:29 pm
NNH

Location: LA, after growing up in London and living all over Europe
Programs: Ex-BD, ex-NW, ex-AA, BA Gold
Originally Posted by channa
I had them once rent my car to someone with a similar last name. In the end they figured it out and fixed it, so all was well.
LOL I've also had them let my car go to someone with a similar last name - they sorted me out very quickly though
Old Jul 28, 2019, 10:21 am
Moderator, Hertz; FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1MM, BA GGL, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond and others
I moved the post by Jose R Anzaldo to a new thread as this thread is about 13 years old.
Please continue the discussion there .
Hertz Vehicle Control Letter

Thanks
​​​​​​​Jason8612 Hertz Mod

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.