Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hertz Additional Driver for Free

Search this Thread

Old Jul 29, 2006, 10:46 am
Original Poster

Programs: Platinum AAdvantage, Gold HiltonHHonors, SPG, USAir, Delta Skymiles, A+ Rewards
Hertz Additional Driver for Free

Does Hertz have a policy on adding an additional driver for free if that additional driver is your spouse, boyfriend/girlfriend or domestic partner? I tried requesting this at Midway Chicago but was told I am not allowed.

I am a Hertz NumberOne Club Gold member so even if the option was available for elites they should have given it to me...

Any published information you have on this would be helpful so that next time I get rejected I can show proof of the policy...

Thanks!
Old Jul 29, 2006, 10:59 am

Originally Posted by tokatya
Any published information you have on this
Have you read your member agreement?
Old Jul 29, 2006, 5:58 pm

Programs: Airline/TSA Avoidance Platinum, Hotel Disloyalty Silver, Hertz 1.7*
It's on Hertz.com if you poke around a bit. I've been rejected as well at PIT. The agent asked if we were married, we said no, and they said it would be $9/day. That's not right according to the Hertz web site though as I found out later when I was thinking about it again and looking at Avis' policy.

The thing is, you don't even need to ask. If the additional driver is your spouse/domestic partner, it is 100% automatic. They don't even need to come to the pickup location with you. It is a benefit of even plain #1 Club (the no-fee one) in addtion to Gold. So you don't need to ask or anything, they are automatically an additional driver. If, ultimately, you need proof of the policy because you were in an accident with your SO driving, it is clearly on the web.

I can't link the page, but it's under Locations Cars and More under Qualifications. It makes you put in a location, but it's the same all over the US apart from the exceptions listed. It's called Authorized and Additional Authorized Operators.

There is a fine line Hertz draws. It says Domestic Partner. If you are boyfriend/girlfriend or whatever and don't live together, you don't technically qualify. That may or may not be a sticking point. You don't have to tell Hertz anything, of course, but this will come out in the event of an accident investigation.

So if you don't live together, you're better muddling around with the AAO section, which allows such things as free additional operator if you are both AAA members, although in these cases you do have to tell them and get it authorized on the rental as it is not automatic.
Old Aug 3, 2006, 5:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The AAA 212 CDP allows for 1 free additional driver, IIRC.
Old Aug 3, 2006, 9:25 am

If both of you are AAA members, using AAA CDP, additional drivers are free:

http://www.aaa.com/misc/HertzAAAMemb...AAA&clb_id=127
Old Aug 3, 2006, 9:28 am

Originally Posted by tokatya
Does Hertz have a policy on adding an additional driver for free if that additional driver is your spouse, boyfriend/girlfriend or domestic partner? I tried requesting this at Midway Chicago but was told I am not allowed.

I am a Hertz NumberOne Club Gold member so even if the option was available for elites they should have given it to me...

Any published information you have on this would be helpful so that next time I get rejected I can show proof of the policy...

Thanks!

I am a PC elite and the only person that is free is my wife, I was actually charged to have my son as an extra driver!!!
Old Aug 4, 2006, 7:11 am

Programs: Amtrak Guest Rewards, US Airways Dividend Miles, Choice Hotels, Hertz #1
Originally Posted by khkchan
If both of you are AAA members, using AAA CDP, additional drivers are free:

http://www.aaa.com/misc/HertzAAAMemb...AAA&clb_id=127
I have tries this with the AAA additional driver/domestic partner with the same addresses on both DL's but the off airport facility that I deal with demands an additional credit card from the additional driver even though the primary renter (me) is paying all the charges on my CC. When questioned at the counter the reply is that this is Hertz's policy
Old Aug 4, 2006, 12:43 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Hilton Honors Diamond,
Originally Posted by jimc_usa
I am a PC elite and the only person that is free is my wife, I was actually charged to have my son as an extra driver!!!
If he is under 25, that would be expected.

Yet, I don't necessarily understand this policy of charging for additional drivers over 25. I was told when we rented for a 2 week vacation the additional charge, and opted to save money (14 days of a daily charge quickly adds up.) It would seem if both meet Hertz qualifications period then it would even be a safer alternative. I found that doing all the driving during a two week vacation, in a strange country, can be more exhausting than just foregoing the vacation and staying at work. I wouldn't have minded having changed drivers during that one day trip from Omaha Beach France back to Germany.

Of course the autobahn was all mine
Old Aug 4, 2006, 3:28 pm

Originally Posted by PhilaBurbTom
I have tries this with the AAA additional driver/domestic partner with the same addresses on both DL's but the off airport facility that I deal with demands an additional credit card from the additional driver even though the primary renter (me) is paying all the charges on my CC. When questioned at the counter the reply is that this is Hertz's policy
There are two different policies here. For any #1 Club member, domestic partner/spouse is an automatic "Authorized Operator". You don't have to even tell them anything. You get this for free, so there's no reason not to at least sign up for free #1 Club (if you can't find a fee-free Gold signup).

The AAA policy is part of "Additional Authorized Operators". These are not automatic and do require showing DL and CC. Hertz allows this for domestic partner/spouse of AAA member (only one AAA membership required) or for anyone additional driver who is also an AAA member (no need to be domestic partner).
Old Aug 4, 2006, 3:30 pm

I can't link to the page (because it's under the locations section, which requires you to first select a location), but this same policy has come up on every US location I've tried. This is what I am quoting, let's see how the formatting comes out.

Authorized Operators

Acceptable Authorized Operators age 25 and older are automatically covered on the Rental Agreement.

Authorized Operators are:

- The employer, employee or fellow employee of renter on company business, (when booking includes company Corporate Discount Number).
- The renter's spouse for rentals that originate in California, Nevada or New York.
- The spouse (including partners in Vermont Civil Unions) or domestic partner of Hertz Number One Club, Number One Club Gold or Platinum members.
- Authorized Operators do not have to be present at time of rental.
- There are no fees for Authorized Operators.

Additional Authorized Operators

- Individuals not automatically covered on the Rental Agreement as Authorized Operators noted above may be signed on as an "Additional Authorized Operator" (AAO). AAO's must be present and may be signed on to the rental agreement at the time of rental or during the rental at any US corporate location.
- An applicable driving record verification will be performed on the AAO.
- Renter and each AAO must be present to sign Rental Agreement, present an acceptable credit card or debit card (if renting city accepts debit cards) in their own name, or a current round-trip ticket (air, train or bus), show valid driver's license, and must be a minimum of 25 years of age.

Additional Authorized Operators Fees

USD 9.00 per day, maximum USD 45.00 per rental, for each Additional Authorized Operator.

Exceptions -

California - no fee for Additional Authorized Operators

Nevada - no fee for the first Additional Authorized Operator. The second and subsequent drivers are USD 5.00 per day, up to a maximum charge of USD 35.00 per driver, per rental.

NY State - USD 3.00 per Additional Authorized Operator per day with a maximum charge of USD 35.00 per rental. This fee applies to all locations in New York State. Authorized and Additional Authorized Operators must be a minimum of 25 years of age.

AAA - Spouse/Domestic Partner of AAA members are not required to have a separate AAA membership in order to receive the free AAO privileges. For other rentals, the AAO fee is also waived when both the renter and the AAO are AAA members.

USAA - No charge for qualified Additional Authorized Operators who are USAA members when signing on to a qualified USAA rental.

AARP - No charge for qualified Additional Authorized Operators who are AARP members or member's spouse when signing on to a
qualified AARP rental.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.