Wiki Posts
Search

question on free weekly rental

Search this Thread

Old Jul 22, 2006, 11:38 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Exec Plat - some level of status in IHG, Marriot & HIlton
question on free weekly rental

I am debating on whether to use points for a week long rental in Hawaii. I have a couple questions that I need answered to help me decide. I will have 4000 points & need a minivan.

1.) is it completely free? Are there any taxes or anything?
2.) Can I add additional drivers for no cost?
Old Jul 25, 2006, 8:55 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ksucats
I am debating on whether to use points for a week long rental in Hawaii. I have a couple questions that I need answered to help me decide. I will have 4000 points & need a minivan.

I am assuming that nobody knows the answer to my question since I haven't got a reply. Am I going to have to do the unthinkable and actually call Hertz to get my question answered. I will wait a day or two. I will be sure to post the answer here unless somebody beats me to it.
Old Jul 26, 2006, 6:02 am

There are still taxes that you will pay. Don't know about the additional drivers.
Old Jul 26, 2006, 8:15 am

I am assuming that nobody knows the answer to my question since I haven't got a reply. Am I going to have to do the unthinkable and actually call Hertz to get my question answered. I will wait a day or two. I will be sure to post the answer here unless somebody beats me to it.
Did you ever think of looking at the Hertz site? All the info is right there in the award T&Cs under "Using #1 Award Points". It's astounding to me that you would post the question and wait 4 days when you could just try looking around for yourself.

Certificates apply to contracted time and mileage only. Members are responsible for governmental surcharges, taxes, tax reimbursement, vehicle license fees, airport related fees, Fuel Purchase Option, refueling, excess mileage charge, LDW and optional items.
Old Jul 26, 2006, 9:23 am

Programs: AC SE

Not free. You will have to pay taxes which can run from 2-20$ a day depending on where you are renting from.

At Honolulu for a free week rental you can expect to pay about 35 US. That is based on using a free rental day certificate. #1 points may differ. Why not just call hertz and ask?
Old Aug 3, 2006, 5:24 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by fly-yul
Not free. You will have to pay taxes which can run from 2-20$ a day depending on where you are renting from.

At Honolulu for a free week rental you can expect to pay about 35 US. That is based on using a free rental day certificate. #1 points may differ. Why not just call hertz and ask?

I didn't want to call and ask until I had the points. I now have 4012, so I just called. I decided to add neverlost & my total is going to be approx $90 including taxes & neverlost. There will also be an additional charge of $9 per day or $45 per week to add a driver that is not a spouse or coworker.
Old Aug 3, 2006, 11:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Like anything else, taxes must be paid. Hertz reward rentals are no different and as other posters above have stated, it differs from property to property.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.