5* Was Actually Worth Something

Old Jul 14, 2006, 6:23 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1KMM, Bonvoy LTE+A, HH D, Nat'l EE, Hertz Plat, Avis PC
5* Was Actually Worth Something

I was flying BOS-DEN-PHX on Tuesday afternoon, and got stuck at Logan for a couple of hours while some strong thunderstorms went through. By the time I got to Denver around 9:00 PM all the connecting flights had left, so I was stuck overnight.

The closest hotel I could get was a Marriott in Golden (38 miles away), so I needed a car. All of the rental car counters had signs stating they were sold out. I went and politely asked the Hertz rep behind the counter if they were really sold out, or if they could find a car for a #1 Club Gold member. He apologized and said they could only handle walk-ups who were Five-Star and above. Lo and behold, I popped out my 5* card, paid for one day of a compact car, and was doubly tickled to find a convertible Mustang under my name in the canopy area.

All in all it turned out okay, but would have been a real bear had I not been able to secure a rental car. I think it's the first time I've ever seen any benefit, at all, to having earned 5* status with Hertz!
Old Jul 15, 2006, 10:35 am

Programs: DL Plat, UA Plat 1MM, AS MVP, Hyatt Discoverist, Avis Presidents Club, Hertz President's Circle
Thanks for sharing the story. 5* not worthless (beyond Z1 bonus points)... who would have imagined.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.