Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > Hertz | Gold Plus Rewards
Reload this Page >

List your Free car upgrades here (Outside of Ultimate Choice)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 25, 2006, 1:27 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Amtrak Select Plus, HHonors Diamond, AA Gold, Marriott Gold

I'm curious to know how many times people are upgraded when renting from Hertz and what your original rental was.

- Airport or location
- Rental Car Class
- Additional Options
- Upgraded?

Two for me last week:

- LGA
- Full Size
- Neverlost
- No

- BOS
- Full Size
- Neverlost
- Yes - Lincoln LS with Neverlost and Satellite Radio (nice!)
Old Mar 25, 2006, 5:27 pm

Programs: AA EXP/2MM - DL PM - OZ Diamond - Bonvoy LTT - Hyatt Glob - IHG Plat - National EE - Sixt Platinum
Two weeks ago:

- LAS
- Fullsize (F)
- None
- Yes - Cadillac DTS (I)

Last week:

- San Francisco Mason Street
- Fullsize (F)
- None
- Yes - Hyundai Azera (H)

This week:

- SFO
- Midsize (C)
- None
- Yes - Lincoln Zephyr (YH)

Last edited by SpeedRicer; Mar 26, 2006 at 3:21 am Reason: Added one more...
Old Mar 25, 2006, 6:58 pm

Programs: Hertz #1 Club Gold, Hilton,Marriott,Omni, National Emerald Club, US Airways DM, Continental OnePass
prashok whats your status those are some nice upgrades? I never get anything, I am just a regular Gold member.
Old Mar 25, 2006, 11:34 pm
LAS

Programs: UA Mileage Plus, Hertz #1 Gold, SPG
Two Weeks ago:

LAX
Compact (B)
None
Yes - Toyota Avalon (H)

Last Week:

LAX
Compact (B)
None
Yes - Monte Carlo (YD)
Old Mar 26, 2006, 12:59 am

Programs: AA EXP/2MM - DL PM - OZ Diamond - Bonvoy LTT - Hyatt Glob - IHG Plat - National EE - Sixt Platinum
Originally Posted by rgeer
prashok whats your status those are some nice upgrades? I never get anything, I am just a regular Gold member.
I'm PC, but I rent from SFO every week, so often times they'll be extra nice when assigning cars. I usually never get anything below a F no matter what class I reserve, unless I specifically want to try something in C or D.
Old Mar 26, 2006, 6:26 am

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold
But situation across europe

As I still mentioned in other threads in this board, in europe you only get upgraded up to intermediate class As I have to rent a lot in europe most times fullsize I don't get that much upgrades here. If I look back to my rentals since the last I was only upgraded in the US and I had a lot of rentals. Would easily get PC but I switched a lot of my european business to Sixt, where I get an upgrade almost everytime.

But good to hear that upgrading works at least in the US. ^
Old Mar 26, 2006, 8:03 am

Programs: Hertz #1 Club Gold, Hilton,Marriott,Omni, National Emerald Club, US Airways DM, Continental OnePass
Originally Posted by LAS
Two Weeks ago:

LAX
Compact (B)
None
Yes - Toyota Avalon (H)

Last Week:

LAX
Compact (B)
None
Yes - Monte Carlo (YD)
LAS, whats your status? Ive never gotten upgrades like you. Are you just Gold? How are you guys getting these nice upgrades? I would love to book a B and get a Avalon.
Old Mar 26, 2006, 11:07 am

Programs: Airline/TSA Avoidance Platinum, Hotel Disloyalty Silver, Hertz 1.7*
Heh, I've booked a couple of Bs and a few Cs at PIT, and that's all I get to drive. One B booking got me what was noted as a YB (Cobalt!), and the other got me what was by then technically a C (Corolla). All my C bookings got me Cs or YCs. Maybe the problem is I pick up on weekends fairly often.

I have a new string of a few rentals coming up, though, so we'll see if anything different happens.

If you guys are getting those upgrades for free with zero status, that's some serious good luck or something about certain locations that just doesn't happen for me here.
Old Mar 26, 2006, 12:11 pm

Programs: All the best ones.
Originally Posted by CrazyOne
If you guys are getting those upgrades for free with zero status, that's some serious good luck or something about certain locations that just doesn't happen for me here.
The Hertz staff recognizing you at a location is worth more than any Gold status in terms of obtaining upgrades. If you rent every weekend the staff are bound to know you sooner or later, and what cars you like and don't like!

Upgrades in Europe do work, - at a certain location I am nearly always given a mercedes or volvo for the price of a ford. But I can't mention the location to protect the staff.

In the US, booking neverlost, greatly restricts the cars you can be assigned, so there's a hint for increasing your chances of an upgrade.

If you don't like the car assigned go back to the counter and tell them! Often a few more dollars will get you what you want.
Old Mar 26, 2006, 12:26 pm
LAS

Programs: UA Mileage Plus, Hertz #1 Gold, SPG
Originally Posted by rgeer
LAS, whats your status? Ive never gotten upgrades like you. Are you just Gold? How are you guys getting these nice upgrades? I would love to book a B and get a Avalon.
I'm just regular Hertz #1 Gold, but I do rent a lot from the LAX Hertz. They've been really cool to me, I always stop at the Gold desk and wave and say hi to everyone.
Old Mar 26, 2006, 5:06 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Amtrak Select Plus, HHonors Diamond, AA Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Peter M
The Hertz staff recognizing you at a location is worth more than any Gold status in terms of obtaining upgrades. If you rent every weekend the staff are bound to know you sooner or later, and what cars you like and don't like!

Upgrades in Europe do work, - at a certain location I am nearly always given a mercedes or volvo for the price of a ford. But I can't mention the location to protect the staff.

In the US, booking neverlost, greatly restricts the cars you can be assigned, so there's a hint for increasing your chances of an upgrade.

If you don't like the car assigned go back to the counter and tell them! Often a few more dollars will get you what you want.
Do you mean recognizing you by name (as opposed to what you look like) because I never see the desk staff at either LGA or BOS where I rent most of the time. Do you go straight to your car from the bus or do you drop in by the counter and say hello before you go to your car? That's definitely something to consider if it will help get a premium car.
Old Mar 27, 2006, 6:33 am

Programs: All the best ones.
The problem is that it can take some time before the Hertz staff start to recognize you by name and your face. One "hello' is unlikely to do it! I would not recommend going to the counter for no reason, that's likely to get you the wrong type of recognition - the type you don't want

If you are willing to buy up a couple of times, then go to the car, get the paperwork and go to the counter and ask for an upgrade. - If you hear high-prices don't take the upgrade! If like me, you find yourself with an occasionally high rate, then always go to the counter and ask for an upgrade! Tell them how much you are paying and you'd like an upgrade because of the high cost. After a few times they should get to know you.

As always, an upgrade is never guaranteed, even for PC. If you have a very cheap rate and long-term rentals, both these factors will reduce your chances of getting any upgrade. Upgrades are more likely, for short-term rentals and high tariffs. It's also luck of the draw.

My last piece of advice is to always be civil with the Hertz staff, even when you don't get what you want - they always remember the nice people.
Old Mar 27, 2006, 11:03 am

Programs: Whoever Has the Best Bonus
Almost always book full size. Have gotten (mostly in PIT)

Mercury Grand Marquis
Lincoln Town Car
Lincoln LS
Toyota Avalon
Cadillac STS
Cadillac DTS
Volvo XC70
Volvo S70
Old Mar 27, 2006, 11:19 am

Programs: Airline/TSA Avoidance Platinum, Hotel Disloyalty Silver, Hertz 1.7*
Originally Posted by pitflyer
Almost always book full size. Have gotten (mostly in PIT)

Mercury Grand Marquis
Lincoln Town Car
Lincoln LS
Toyota Avalon
Cadillac STS
Cadillac DTS
Volvo XC70
Volvo S70
Hm, and when they try to give me the Grand Marquis or Town Car, I can downgrade? I also don't want to have to drive a Taurus, which I suppose is still out there. That's my main fear of F. Of course, I haven't had great luck at getting likable cars with my last B and C bookings (at PIT; got a nice Altima at MCO) either.
Old Mar 27, 2006, 2:33 pm

I use to rent in CLE all the time and ask for something different almost every week. After a while, the lady working the gold counter asked me what I like so they can hold one for me. I initially told them the G35 or FX35, but they stopped carrying those at CLE along with all the prestige vehicles. I then asked for an Outback and have been getting one ever since. The AWD is good in the snow and ice, the standard heated seats work very well, and it's not floaty like most other AWD cars / SUVs that they have there. Unfortunately / Fortunately, I've been flying down to the client's ATL office instead, for the last 8 weeks, and have been taking the MARTA.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.