Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > Hertz | Gold Plus Rewards
Reload this Page >

List your Free car upgrades here (Outside of Ultimate Choice)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

List your Free car upgrades here (Outside of Ultimate Choice)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 18, 2016, 3:52 am
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
LGA (One-Way to JFK)
Reserved: F
Received: K6 2016 Nissan Pathfinder S 2WD with 10,500 miles on the odometer.
Old Dec 21, 2016, 12:17 am

Programs: Hertz 5 Star, National Executive, Priority Pass
PHX
Reserved: F
Assigned: Buick Verano

Verano was nice, but the trunk was too small. Gold Choice had plenty of Altimas, some Sonatas and 2 Cruzes. After multiple spins of the Carfirmation wheel, I couldn't believe my eyes.

Received: GMC Yukon XL with 1500 miles, XM, LTE Hotspot

That Yukon was priced at $0/day, so I took it. Out of curiosity, I asked for a smaller SUV (the XL was just too big). The Gold Counter couldn't believe that I got a Yukon and was about to type in Altima... when I remembered that the Yukon had heated AND cooled seats. The exit gate didn't say a word.

I could get used to this.
Old Dec 24, 2016, 7:14 am
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
Mason Street - San Francisco (One-Way to SFO)
Reserved: C
Received: YF 2017 Hyundai Sonata. Base trim, but Sirius/XM was enabled. 3,200 miles on the odometer.
Old Dec 26, 2016, 8:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
LYS

Reserved F on a one-way to Paris
Given Ford Kuga with German plates
I'd never heard of a Kuga, but I guess it is the same as an Escape. This was loaded and a good drive. I guess they needed this German car in Paris for some logistical reason. It's the first time I can recall renting a car with foreign plates.
Old Dec 27, 2016, 2:56 am
AJO

Programs: BA | A3 | AFKL | Hertz | SPG | Avis
Rotterdam Central Station (NL)
Hertz Gold 5*
Booked: A (smallest, Toyota Aygo or similar)
Received: X6 (mini MPV), Fiat 500 L (Hertz is still treating me well, in terms of upgrades!)

Nice car, but a bit of a gas guzzler. 6.5 months old and already 20k+ kilometers on the clock, but still pretty much new.
Old Dec 27, 2016, 10:13 pm

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC, National Exec
Originally Posted by stimpy
Reserved F on a one-way to Paris
Given Ford Kuga with German plates
I'd never heard of a Kuga, but I guess it is the same as an Escape. This was loaded and a good drive. I guess they needed this German car in Paris for some logistical reason. It's the first time I can recall renting a car with foreign plates.
Could also be the LYS location offloading this German car they ended up with on a one-way - making it Paris's problem. Or they have more PAR->Germany one-way demand, so it's easier to get it back to Germany that way.

One thing I've often wondered - given the Common Market, I would have thought that some aspect of vehicle ownership (i.e. vehicle cost, taxes, registration fees, etc.) would make it make sense for a company like Hertz to register all their cars in one country, even if they're going to be rented in another country.

In the US, there's a county in the state of Tennessee (Blount County) which doesn't charge an annual renewal fee for license plates. So, a huge portion of Hertz's cars are registered in Blount County, even if they never get within 1000 miles of Tennessee. I would have thought there would be a similar regulatory "hack" possible in the EU, but maybe not.
Old Dec 27, 2016, 11:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by cestmoi123
Could also be the LYS location offloading this German car they ended up with on a one-way - making it Paris's problem. Or they have more PAR->Germany one-way demand, so it's easier to get it back to Germany that way.

One thing I've often wondered - given the Common Market, I would have thought that some aspect of vehicle ownership (i.e. vehicle cost, taxes, registration fees, etc.) would make it make sense for a company like Hertz to register all their cars in one country, even if they're going to be rented in another country.

In the US, there's a county in the state of Tennessee (Blount County) which doesn't charge an annual renewal fee for license plates. So, a huge portion of Hertz's cars are registered in Blount County, even if they never get within 1000 miles of Tennessee. I would have thought there would be a similar regulatory "hack" possible in the EU, but maybe not.
I think the EU can't be compared at this level to US states. Each country has some different rules and regulations for cars. And you cannot have a car reside in another EU country for more than 6 months without registering it and paying related taxes.

You do see that cars are mostly registered in one place in France as most of them have department 60 (Oise) plates. But I think that is for logistical reasons rather than cheaper registration prices.
Old Dec 28, 2016, 10:49 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM, Hertz PC, Marriott Platinum/Lifetime Gold
DUB
Luxury - BMW 520d or similar (I)
None
Yes - Audi A7 3.0d (S6)
Old Dec 29, 2016, 4:20 pm

Programs: BA Gold (ex-GGL, maybe future Silver), Hilton Diamond
LAX
PC
Premium (G)
Not upgraded, options in Carfirmation were a Camaro or Mustang convertible at $15/day, Chrysler 300 @ $75/day or a Tahoe at $175/day.

Christmas demand is biting, and ended up taking the Vauxhall Insignia Buick Regal they gave me as the Gold booth wasn't interested in upgrading me to anything... didn't even want to talk money. At least it's nicely equipped (even though it's only base spec) and has the 2.0T with AWD, which kind of justifies its inclusion in G rather than F.
Old Dec 29, 2016, 8:23 pm

Gold
DCA
Reserved: D (Standard)
Received: Nissan Altima w/ NeverLost

Not complaining. Booked on short notice, and for whatever reason D was pricing out literally 50% cheaper than any other car class. No upcharge for the NL.
Old Dec 30, 2016, 9:39 am

Programs: Hertz PC, National Exec Elite, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by Cymro
LAX
PC
Premium (G)
Not upgraded, options in Carfirmation were a Camaro or Mustang convertible at $15/day, Chrysler 300 @ $75/day or a Tahoe at $175/day.

$15 a day is not bad for those two, but the upgrade prices on the other two are nuts!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.