Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > Hertz | Gold Plus Rewards
Reload this Page >

List your Free car upgrades here (Outside of Ultimate Choice)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

List your Free car upgrades here (Outside of Ultimate Choice)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 25, 2016, 1:07 pm

Originally Posted by Red Scorpion
Bristol North
Pres Circle
Booked: C (Focus or equivalent)
Received: Jeep Renegade

Assumed that this was some form of (Pres circle?) upgrade. But no, the car was tagged a C, which was something of a surprise.
Last autumn I asked at my standard rental station (Regensburg, Germany) if they had any Renegades and what class they were, since I would like to try one out. The agent said to me that the Renegades were no special group, but classified as ordinary compacts (C).
Old Jan 26, 2016, 2:30 pm

Programs: BA Gold (ex-GGL, maybe future Silver), Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by suley
Interesting, just realised it was FCO otherwise F's are usually Automatics.
Oops... FCO was last week - it was Lisbon this week.
Old Jan 28, 2016, 10:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Well I got comped PC status but I fear I'm doing the upgrades thing a bit wrong.

For one UK rental I have booked F the next category is of course G so perhaps I might end up in even H.
On another UK I did G with the hope to get H.

Reading in this thread perhaps I am just wasting money and could book a lower category and get lucky? D to G or something like that would be good.

Should I rebook to a more intermediate category?
Old Jan 29, 2016, 6:55 am

Maximum upgrade is to a Full-size car with a minimum reserved Compact vehicle. For Compact 4-Door rentals, maximum upgrade will be to a Full-Size 4-Door car. Guaranteed upgrade is to the next car class only. This excludes Special Equipment such as Minivans, SUVs and Hertz Collections vehicles. Upgrades do not apply to rentals longer than 30 days.
So you have no entitlement to anything bigger than an F/X, whether you book a D/E or an F/X (using UK categories).

Of course, if they have two F rentals (or someone else has an entitlement to an upgrade into an F) and only one car, they will upgrade you first if booked on F, but if there's plenty of stock, you'll drive an F.

I tend to book C all the time because the price difference over A/B is small and I'm happy to take a Focus or similar if I have to. In general though, my reservation is treated as though it were for a D class car, meaning that I'm likely to get upgraded further no matter what as there are currently few Ds at LHR and I'm at the head of the upgrade queue. However, rather than end up in an F/G/H I am quite likely to end up in a Qashqai, Galaxy, or some random thing that was hugely overpriced and therefore was only going to sit around.

I used to book Ds occasionally, but only ever got one premium upgrade and that was from Sunbury (where they get cars from LHR but you don't get the status upgrade anyway, plus I think I was 5* then).

Personally I'd book C or even D.
Old Jan 29, 2016, 9:53 am

Cymro is on the right lines, simply its upto an F or X however as you will see we got a mix bag. At present I have a T6 which is Prestige on a C group, most would be very unlikely to get that. I have had it in the past where I booked a G and got a H as they said PC but I think they were short on cars.

I would say book a C for manual and expect anything from a D to a X group. if you want a Auto book an E and expect normally a F group.

Reminds me I need to swap later today, the XC70 is costing me a fair bit on local roads, think i am going for a V40 Auto F group and keep it for a few months or it has a problem
Old Jan 30, 2016, 3:38 pm

LHR
Reserved R - Renault Captur or similar
PC
Received X - Mazda 6 - 1 year old, 23k miles, clean.

2.2d - nice car, looks amazing, well equipped, but could be quicker and more economical (though 48mpg Imp/40 US) but it's still acceptable. Feels a little cheaper than its looks suggest, but still a really nice car and excellent value, both to rent and to buy.

As it's a saloon, I'd have been justified in kicking it back (the Captur is a micro-SUV - basically a more conservatively styled Nissan Juke) but it suits me perfectly.
Old Feb 1, 2016, 12:58 am

Programs: KF, Eva
does anyone know what kind of car I might get in UK if I book class R other than renault captur?
And also, what car I might get if I book class B other than Corsa?

I mean in case if I don't get any upgrade.

Last edited by vleex5; Feb 1, 2016 at 7:07 am
Old Feb 1, 2016, 8:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
BOS

Plat
reserved standard
given black Cadillac XTS

The cops here really don't like the curbside pickup.
Old Feb 1, 2016, 10:24 am

Originally Posted by stimpy
Plat
reserved standard
given black Cadillac XTS

The cops here really don't like the curbside pickup.
Surely in a black XTS they think you're a livery driver?

Anyway, on the LHR strategy, I noticed yesterday that they had quite a lot of brand new Octavias and MG6s, so I expect a few of those in my future, and fewer upgrades beyond class D.

As for the question about group R/B - I've never actually been given a group R, and they do have quite a lot of Capturs, so that would be the most likely. In group B, you could get pretty much anything - Clio, Fabia (though some might be group A), Fiesta, Polo (though not seen many for a while) and the occasional Yaris spring to mind. Basically anything that's like a Corsa but isn't, although I don't recall either the Peugeot 208 or Hyundai i20 on the lot, nor any Citroens.
Old Feb 3, 2016, 3:42 pm

LHR
PC
Received W - Nissan Qashqai, with nav and cameras, 6 miles. Not 6k. 6.
Old Feb 3, 2016, 3:53 pm

Programs: BA GGL, Marriott, IHG, Sirius, Dusit, Thai, Virgin, Hyatt, BAA, AS, AA(both)
Originally Posted by Cymro
LHR
PC
Received W - Nissan Qashqai, with nav and cameras, 6 miles. Not 6k. 6.
That's still 7 miles too much for me, plastic fantastic with a really terrible gear ratio
Old Feb 8, 2016, 9:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Marriott 5+ BadgeAccor Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVPG, DL KM, Bee Six, Bonvoy Plat, Avis PC, Natl Exec, Greyhound Road Rewards Z"L
MCO
PC
C
Yes: F6 - 2016 Nisan Altima (although it only had 400 miles on it)

Hate Nissans (and I've only told them this like a million times). GC had infinite Jeep Patriots & Compasses, I think a couple of Elantras, and several Nissan Frontier SVs. Asked for anything else (hinted at Impala or Charger). Offered all of the models I saw in GC, Kia Optima, Hyundai Santa Fe, finally offered a 30k-mile 2015 Charger from the back.

Ended up going over to Avis where I got a 1200-mile Chevy Traverse LT (on a midsize reservation). That was nice, but pretty bare bones. I still have mixed feelings about the whole experience over there... leaning towards sticking with Hertz.

-J.

Last edited by GW McLintock; Feb 8, 2016 at 10:22 am
Old Feb 8, 2016, 10:10 am

Manchester Airport
Booked C
Had T6 - Volvo XC70 D5
Took - Volvo V40 D4 R Design - F2

Ok, so I got bored with the XC70, nice but too big and expensive to run 34 mpg was average. Decided I wanted to swap, went in and they had a truck deliver new Volvo's most, I basically got to choose the trim and color. Ended up with a blueish one with 10 miles on the clock, Down side is its a R Design and comes with the sports alloys etc, I have already damaged one of the alloys after trying to drive safely. Oh well, think I might keep it till March and then swap when they get something else I like
Old Feb 8, 2016, 10:12 am

Originally Posted by E14 26C
That's still 7 miles too much for me, plastic fantastic with a really terrible gear ratio
lol, they tried to flog one of them in Auto to me, I said sorry not my thing! I prefer my Auto's as I guess I am now a lazy driver
Old Feb 9, 2016, 5:35 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Marriott Plat, Priority Club Plat, HHonors Diamond, Avis CC
Las Vegas - Caesars Palace
Platinum
Booked: Intermediate SUV
Received: Infiniti QX80

First time renting since I got Plat status last year. Was very happy with the upgrade. Desk agent walked me out to the car, which was moved from the standard rental spots to right outside the door.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.