Bad experience at Hertz PHL

Old Nov 18, 2005, 1:14 pm

Rented at Hertz PHL over the past weekend. Pickup was fine; name was on the board. Return was a little painful: the agent refused to enter the PC code, even though I had the number for it, and told me to go inside and talk to a CSM. Not knowing about the looping arrangement, I took the bus back to terminal D: after waiting 10 minutes for the bus, I could do without the tour of PHL's lesser-known roadways. Finally, I could also do without the 50 minute security line at terminal D. I haven't seen a line that long (with no elite lane) for a very long time...
Old Mar 24, 2006, 11:47 am

Programs: After years of status, back to Peon levels. Anti-Apostheid Platinum, PWP CentCom
Just to bump up an old thread, I've been renting from Hertz in PHL every couple of weeks for the past month or two. My notes:

* Not only is the bus routing ridiculous, there aren't enough Hertz buses. Last time, I saw 2-3 of every other company's buses before giving up and walking. Coincidentally, I beat the next bus by 5 minutes anyhow.
* My name's been on the board everytime
* Got a car that reeked of cigarette smoke once
* Generally, I rent a C, end up in a non-Taurus full-size or an Outback.
* When I have changed cars, the CS is as mentioned, unprofessional, unfriendly, etc.
* Refueling around PHL is a racket - there're no gas stations near the airport as far as I can tell. I managed to find a place on the way back near 476/US1, which is close enough to keep the tank at F and not too far out of the way.
Old Mar 26, 2006, 1:12 pm

Make the most of PHL

As someone that rents a lot from PHL, I share all or your pain. The good news is that the people at PHL are not the most dedicated employees in the world. Book your reservation (with coupons) online, and then do it again, and then do it again. When you get to the lovely PHL office, there will most likely be three rentals on the board for you. Pick the vehicle you want out of the three. I did this every week for a year.
Old Mar 28, 2006, 12:03 pm

Programs: AA 2MM - UA 1P / Hyatt Diamond - SPG Plat / Hertz 5* - Avis 1st
LOL at geenowalker - the revenge of the system people!

Good riddance to Hertz PHL.
Old Mar 28, 2006, 12:31 pm

Programs: Marriott LTT, Amtrak Select, Hertz 5*, AA Gold, IHG Plat, National Exec
Originally Posted by bdjohns1
* * Refueling around PHL is a racket - there're no gas stations near the airport as far as I can tell. I managed to find a place on the way back near 476/US1, which is close enough to keep the tank at F and not too far out of the way.
The Airport Exxon is not far, I think it's on Island Avenue. However, they routinely charge an extra 75 cents or so per gallon over what you'd pay anywhere else.
Old Aug 7, 2006, 1:16 pm

Programs: Delta Skymiles, Hertz Gold, National Emerald Club, Priority Club
Wanted to bump up the thread with my experience at PHL yesterday.

Name was not on the board, no wait at the gold booth. Reserved F, representative didn't say anything - just printed out the contract. I asked what car I was getting she said "an Impala." I reminded her of my 5 Star status at which point she called someone to see if an upgrade is available. Again, without telling me what car she is upgrading me to, she printed up the contract and pointed outside where an employee pulled up in an Escape.

Employees did not seem friendly at all. All the security guy at the gate said to me was "are they busy in there?"

Szymon
Old Aug 7, 2006, 6:29 pm

Location: STL, MO-US and A , SWA A-List, Marriott LTTE, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by szymon
Wanted to bump up the thread with my experience at PHL yesterday.

Name was not on the board, no wait at the gold booth. Reserved F, representative didn't say anything - just printed out the contract. I asked what car I was getting she said "an Impala." I reminded her of my 5 Star status at which point she called someone to see if an upgrade is available. Again, without telling me what car she is upgrading me to, she printed up the contract and pointed outside where an employee pulled up in an Escape.

Employees did not seem friendly at all. All the security guy at the gate said to me was "are they busy in there?"

Szymon
I would have taken the YF Impala over an Escape any day of the week.
Old Aug 7, 2006, 6:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United, American, Delta, Hyatt, Hilton, Hertz, Marriott
I am surprised to hear criticisms of PHL. Maybe it's relative--LAX is so poor that PHL looks good! I rent at PHL about six times a year (maybe more); I have never had a problem--though I really hate that circuitous bus journey to the terminal.
Old Aug 7, 2006, 7:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by ContinentalFan
I am surprised to hear criticisms of PHL. Maybe it's relative--LAX is so poor that PHL looks good! I rent at PHL about six times a year (maybe more); I have never had a problem--though I really hate that circuitous bus journey to the terminal.
Well I think it's the general track record and general ambience and treatment.
I've rented there several times and never had anything amazing to say about it. The last time I rented there, which was in early June, they didn't even have my name on the board and I had to wait 15 minutes for a car.
Old Aug 7, 2006, 9:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United, American, Delta, Hyatt, Hilton, Hertz, Marriott
Originally Posted by yyznomad
Well I think it's the general track record and general ambience and treatment.
I've rented there several times and never had anything amazing to say about it. The last time I rented there, which was in early June, they didn't even have my name on the board and I had to wait 15 minutes for a car.
I will be back in Philadelphia in four or five weeks. I guess I now have a different perspective on the location. I might now be sensitized to issues, but I will see what happens and report back!
Old Aug 8, 2006, 6:03 am

Programs: DL DM 3 MM AA PLAT HH Lifetime Diamond Marriott Plat AMB lifetime titanium Hertz PC
Originally Posted by LPCJr
The Airport Exxon is not far, I think it's on Island Avenue. However, they routinely charge an extra 75 cents or so per gallon over what you'd pay anywhere else.
The one next to the Sheraton is closed or was not open late anymore.
Old Aug 8, 2006, 11:26 am

Programs: Delta Skymiles, Hertz Gold, National Emerald Club, Priority Club
Originally Posted by ALARISstl
I would have taken the YF Impala over an Escape any day of the week.
It wasn't a YF - just a regular F. I was hoping to get a G, didn't know she would give me the Escape. At least the Escape has a sunroof.

Szymon
Old Aug 8, 2006, 4:52 pm

Originally Posted by BigJC
Go online to the Hertz website and fill out the customer satisfaction survey -- make sure you have your rental record number from that rental. Hertz has been very fair with me as far as handing out $$$ off coupons when the situation merits. At the same time, I also fill these out when things go good and list names when an agent goes out of his/her way to make things right.
Very true. Everyone pay attention to this post. This goes for every rental company, not just Hertz. How do you expect them to fix it if a complaint isnt filed. Also, when someplace does you right, its good to let them know. Every company takes a look at these responses and augments training to encourage or discourage as appropriate.
Old Aug 9, 2006, 12:33 pm

Programs: AA 2MM - UA 1P / Hyatt Diamond - SPG Plat / Hertz 5* - Avis 1st
Originally Posted by ezmonee
Very true. Everyone pay attention to this post. This goes for every rental company, not just Hertz. How do you expect them to fix it if a complaint isnt filed. Also, when someplace does you right, its good to let them know. Every company takes a look at these responses and augments training to encourage or discourage as appropriate.
For Hertz, is there a discrete link you could post? I get lost on the Hertz site quite easily.
Old Feb 2, 2009, 1:55 pm

Programs: Hertz #1 Gold, HHonors Silver
Has Hertz @ PHL improved since these posts? I'll be renting Sun-Fri for the next 6 weeks or so from that location. I've only made reservations for the first week and have no problem switching to another company if necessary.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.