Hertz Violation ATS Charge $180

Old Jul 13, 2017, 6:30 am
Original Poster

Programs: SPG Platinum, FPC Platinum, Marriott/Ritz-Carlton Platinum Elite, Accor Platinum, AC SE, MPC SL
Hertz Violation ATS Charge $180

Rented a Hertz car in early May 2017 enroute from Baltimore to Washington DC and apparently there was a completely electronic toll. Realized a little too late as I went it with no recourse. I'm from Canada so I was both unaware and uneducated. The toll was US$4 or so I believe.

By end of May 2017 Hertz automatically charged me close to US$18 to my credit card. I thought that was fine. Lesson learned.

Then today on Jul 13 2017 another charge showed up on my credit card for US$180 under Hertz Traffic Violation-ATS AME MESA. I find that this charge is extremely excessive and unreasonable .

Does anyone have experience with this before? Please provide me with some advice and thank you in advance .
Old Jul 13, 2017, 7:10 am

Speeding?
Old Jul 13, 2017, 7:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by JCFans
Rented a Hertz car in early May 2017 enroute from Baltimore to Washington DC.......By end of May 2017 Hertz automatically charged me close to US$18 to my credit card...........Then today on Jul 13 2017 another charge showed up on my credit card for US$180 under Hertz Traffic Violation-ATS AME MESA......
Yeah, it is likely a traffic fine. Many speed cameras around. You can call Hertz or ATS to get details.
Old Jul 13, 2017, 7:51 am
Original Poster

Programs: SPG Platinum, FPC Platinum, Marriott/Ritz-Carlton Platinum Elite, Accor Platinum, AC SE, MPC SL
I just realized it could very well be a speed violation not toll. I'll check with ATS. Is there anyway to contest this or am I SOL since Hertz paid it and that's admission of guilt?
Old Jul 13, 2017, 8:11 am
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
Google search suggests this https://www.rentalcarticket.com/Dispute.aspx and https://dmv.dc.gov/service/contest-p...cement-tickets
Old Jul 13, 2017, 8:18 am

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC, National Exec
Originally Posted by FlyinHawaiian
From the DC piece:

"Note: If you are issued a ticket while driving a rental car, rental car agreements provide that a rental party is responsible for all tickets issued to the rental vehicle during the rental period. DC DMV has discovered that some rental car companies will automatically pay any ticket(s) incurred on vehicles and charge the customer the ticket fine plus administrative fees. They will not provide you with the opportunity to adjudicate the tickets, as the adjudication process ends once a ticket is paid even if it going through the adjudication process. As the legal owner of the vehicle, rental car companies are within their rights to use this process."

Originally Posted by JCFans
I just realized it could very well be a speed violation not toll. I'll check with ATS. Is there anyway to contest this or am I SOL since Hertz paid it and that's admission of guilt?
Could also be a parking violation.

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Jul 13, 2017 at 8:27 am Reason: Consecutive posts merged
Old Jul 13, 2017, 8:32 am
Original Poster

Thanks, everyone. I checked with ATS online and it's a speeding violation it seems. I don't remember speeding at all but it is a long stretch of highway so I might go over here and there a bit. I'm not sure I went over by US$180.

When I went to view violation it says that the citation is electronic and there's no image available.

How do I get proof? Thank you.
Old Jul 13, 2017, 9:14 am

Programs: Delta Plat, United Silver, Marriott LT Titanium, HHonors Silver, Hertz PC
Do they tell you wish jurisdiction issued the ticket? Most local authorities (DC, Montgomery County, etc) have ticket look up features on their websites. With the licence plate number you can see any outstanding tickets, but they disappear once paid.

For reference in DC going 11-15 mph over the limit will get a $100 ticket, 16-20 mph over gets $150 and its not hard to imagine them charging a $30 admin fee to pay the ticket on your behalf.

I don't think you will have any luck contesting as the rental agreement surely holds you responsible for any tickets incurred during your rental.

FYI- waze and maybe other traffic/map apps have options to alert to things like speed camera, Ive found it helpful in unfamiliar places.
Old Jul 13, 2017, 9:29 am
Original Poster

It's issued under the Washington DC jurisdiction. I have gone over to their website but there's no option to pull my ticket. Does anyone know how to do this?
Old Jul 14, 2017, 8:18 am

Programs: Delta Skymiles - Platinum; Hertz - President's Circle; Expedia - Gold
Both Baltimore and Washington D.C. are infested with speeding and red light cameras.
Most likely it happened on one of the city streets.
On the highways they do it the honest old-fashioned way with milking the drivers by setting the live police traps
Old Jul 14, 2017, 12:48 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Firstboss
Both Baltimore and Washington D.C. are infested with speeding and red light cameras.
Most likely it happened on one of the city streets.
On the highways they do it the honest old-fashioned way with milking the drivers by setting the live police traps
The problem is easily avoided by not exceeding the speed limit. Speed cameras do provide a deterrent to people driving fast. I do not see what makes it more "honest" by using officers to do it manually
Old Jul 14, 2017, 1:36 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
DC camera speeding tickets are issued to the registered owner of the vehicle and are the registered owner's responsibility unless the RO provides an affidavit with the name and contact information of the individual authorized to operate the vehicle or an affidavit that the vehicle had been stolen, along with a police report #.

For Hertz, nothing is going to matter because it has paid the violation as the registered owner and charged you for the ticket and an administrative fee.

Although the amount may seem high to you, it's not by DC standards and is likely $150 + admin. fee.
Old Jul 14, 2017, 1:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Often1
....Although the amount may seem high to you, it's not by DC standards and is likely $150 + admin. fee.
Yes, I suppose OP was not from Northeast. Speeding fine can be up to $600 for first violation in NYC.
Old Jul 15, 2017, 10:05 am

Programs: AA Gold, WN A+ & CP, HH Diamond, Hyatt Platinum, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
The problem is easily avoided by not exceeding the speed limit. Speed cameras do provide a deterrent to people driving fast. I do not see what makes it more "honest" by using officers to do it manually
Because the jurisdiction is actually putting some effort into making money.
Old Jul 15, 2017, 12:05 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by justhere
Because the jurisdiction is actually putting some effort into making money.
It only makes money out of those who decide that the speed limits only apply to other people - seems to be a good section of people to make money out of

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.