Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > Hertz | Gold Plus Rewards
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Renting at LAX; What Kind of Cars to Expect?" Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 19, 2019, 4:20 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: FlyinHawaiian
January 2021 Update, courtesy of CalItalian:

Hertz, Dollar and Thrifty are now permanently combined in the Hertz facility until the move in a couple of years to the under construction consolidated car rental facility/garage a mile to the west on the corner of Arbor Vitae and La Cienega.

Returns do not allow agents to check in cars and provide in-person receipts; it has to be emailed. Contracts will not be closed until the vehicle has been sanitized. Be sure to take a photo of your dashboard (fuel gauge/mileage) and any other photos of the vehicle before you leave it in case there are any issues.
Print Wikipost

Consolidated "Renting at LAX; What Kind of Cars to Expect?" Thread

Search this Thread

Old Jul 4, 2017, 1:36 pm

Programs: A3 Gold, AA Platinum
Thursday 29th of June, 7.30 am

PC section packed. Tons of Sonata, Camrys et al, and some regular SUVs.
Highlights:
Audi A4
MB SLK300
2x MB SLC300 (We grabbed one)
Jaguar XE
Tons of Camaros all around, not sure which specific models though

This was mainly from one of the PC rows - we were pleased with the SLC and didn't look further.
Old Jul 6, 2017, 5:51 am
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
Originally Posted by Henrik C
Any educated guesses on which time of day has the better choice for PC members?
Similar question from me; I'll be flying in to LAX the Friday night of Labor Day Weekend and can either get a car around midnight or wait until the next morning around 10 am. I'm leaning toward the latter under the assumption that the day shift will have a better selection; any thoughts to the contrary?

Thanks.

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Jul 6, 2017 at 8:32 am
Old Jul 6, 2017, 8:34 am

Programs: Marriot Am, MU Pt
Originally Posted by AutoSlash
Nice vehicle! Did you pay an upgrade fee for that or was it in the regular Ultimate Choice area? Are you Hertz 5* or President's Circle? It's uncommon for a vehicle like that to be in the regular Gold UC area.
I have PC and there was no fees. Okay car but honestly it's not that great.

Originally Posted by AutoSlash
It's not weird at all. I always do this, and I suspect many others do as well. Those of us who rent cars often have at one time or another been accused of causing damage that was already there when you picked up the vehicle. Best to not any dings, scratches, etc. on the rental form to avoid surprised at the end of the rental. It literally takes 30 seconds to do a quick walk around the vehicle.
Yeah funny you should mention that as this week I'm in a Chevrolet Suburban. There are these giant two holes in the driver side door. They're not holes where it penetrated but deep and small dents like someone used a [metal] punch or something.

I picked my car at night so I didn't see this. I'll see what they say later when I return it.
Old Jul 6, 2017, 11:30 am

Programs: IHG Diamond Elite, Hilton Diamond, Hertz President's Circle
July 4, 2017

PC section at 4:30 PM, to my surprise, was 100% packed with vehicles on the Independence Day holiday. Not one space was unoccupied. Every upgrade space was also completely full. Not many employees roaming around, though, as I normally see.

I was returning a vehicle that day but I considered keeping it one extra day to go with a points reservation the following day if my incredibly low midsize rate didn't pan out on July 4th. I needed a large SUV for two weeks. I parked my rental that was to be returned in the outside Hertz customer parking lot and walked in to the PC area. I was able to get a brand new, 4.7 miles on it, Ford Expedition that was parked in the last space next to the upgrade area. There were plenty of SUV's in PC, a number of Pathfinders for example, but nothing as large as the Expedition. One minivan, too. There were even a few Camaro convertibles in the PC section.

My total is just over $270 for 2 weeks including all taxes/fees so this is an incredible deal for me during such a busy and expensive month at LAX. Saved me 8800 points, too.

At the gate, only two open but I was just behind 2 vehicles, I spoke to an agent I know and she told me it had been very slow the last two days. They also got a large shipment of new vehicles in on Monday, July 3rd and mine was one of them.

Personally, I have been extremely pleased with PC at LAX since its debut in April. Both with the low mileage of vehicles and selection.
Old Jul 7, 2017, 1:59 am

Programs: Marriot Am, MU Pt
Interesting two rentals in a row at LAX, both 20k plus mileage....
Old Jul 12, 2017, 5:19 am

Programs: Hertz 5*
A very used Pathfinder

Originally Posted by alphaod
Interesting two rentals in a row at LAX, both 20k plus mileage....
Aren't you lucky! I booked a standard SUV and got a Nissan Pathfinder V6 3.5 with almost 35k. It was so used, even with a hole in the windshield (which the agent covered with a sellotape). However, it was absolutely perfect for my 3k mile trip around the national parks. Temperatures often climbed above 110 so tinted windows and three zone A/C were priceless. Honestly, that is the car I would recommend any one going for a family roadtrip on the (very hot) West Coast.

The 5* selection on 23 June included an array of Hyundais, Kias and Fords, no SUVs. Available upgrades were limited to Infinitis and one CLA.
Old Jul 12, 2017, 7:47 am
formerly bulgarianfreak55

Programs: United 1K, Marriott Platinum, SPG Platinum, Hertz Pres
June 29th - 6:30PM
Mostly Nissans with one A3 in PC (which I got). A bit small, wish they had some A4s in PC, but the one they had was in Reserved section.
Old Jul 16, 2017, 2:35 pm

Programs: DL, UA, SPG, HH
July 4 - 12noon

Lots and lots of base Hyundai Sonatas and Kia Optimas in Gold. Also a few Impala Classics and Malibus (which I'm not fond of the low displacement turbo). There was also a lone Chevy Captiva SUV with yellow tape across the windows. There was one Mazda 6 that a couple guys who ran off the shuttle and got before I got to it. Kinda stinks since I'm eyeing the Mazda 6 for my personal vehicle so a 2 week long term rental that this was would have been a nice opportunity to evaluate.

A side question: on return the agent marked an "L" on the rear driver window. Other cars had letters like "P" or "L" on it. Anyone know what that means?
Old Jul 17, 2017, 2:00 pm

Hi guys

Been reading theese post's for the last couple of weeks.

Going on a roadtrip for 4 weeks in august / september starting with a rental from Hertz LAX.

I'm booking a "Standard / D" class vehicle as a Gold plus member - any ideas about what Standard cars available at LAX ?

Slap me hard it's expensive in August! - if we make the reservation for the first two weeks, and then another reservation at the same date/time as the first one expires, and for the last two weeks, it is 300 dollars cheaper than if wee book for the 4 weeks in one booking?!?

Best regards from Denmark
Old Jul 19, 2017, 5:48 am

Renting a C63 AMG for a day from here in a week. Let's see how it goes.
Old Jul 19, 2017, 11:32 am

Programs: DL, UA, SPG, HH
Originally Posted by Madsen_DK

I'm booking a "Standard / D" class vehicle as a Gold plus member - any ideas about what Standard cars available at LAX ?
I was just at LAX as a Gold. Lots of Kia Optimas and Hyundai Sonatas in the Gold lot. Saw a few Impala classics and Malibus also.

Also, you know as Gold you can book C and take anything from the Gold lot which are generally Fs.
Old Jul 19, 2017, 8:38 pm

Programs: IHG Diamond Elite, Hilton Diamond, Hertz President's Circle
After returning my SUV at LAX around 5 pm today, I took a look at the President's Circle area. Not too great this 'round. Lots and lots of midsize and standard SUV's. The largest was a Nissan Pathfinder with New York plates. Other than that, there were just the humdrum midsize and full size vehicles. About 1/2 of the President's Circle area was full. For a paid upgrade, just 3 vehicles available: One Range Rover SUV and two Chevy Corvette Stingray's.
Old Jul 21, 2017, 6:57 am

Got me a Q60 Red Sport on July 20th. I. Love. This. Car.
Old Jul 22, 2017, 5:03 pm

LAX late at night / early morning

Landing at LAX Aug.5 @ 00:18 - probably around 2AM arriving at the Hertz lot.
What are my chances of getting something interesting in the Gold Plus lot?

I'm planning to book (Intermediate) ICAR or (Standard) SCAR with Hertz. Price looks the same according to @AutoSlash for my itinerary - one way to MIA, 3 weeks.

I'm not sure if I should also make a second backup booking with National (similar prices as well - maybe $2-$3 difference or something).
I would prefer to make only one booking. I am European and I think I have to take the Collision Damage Coverage - and this needs to be paid upfront (but is refundable as far as I understand). So ... if I make 2 bookings I pay this twice and wait for one refund.

Basically I'm interested what more experienced travelers know about picking up a car from Hertz LAX at night - if there is enough variety or if it's more or less empty. I did not see this mentioned anywhere so I thought I'd ask.
Old Jul 29, 2017, 6:12 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Thursday, June 29, 8:30 am.

PC section 3/4 full. Tons of Sonata, Camrys, et al., and some regular SUVs.
Don't know what happened in an hour (see above post). No premium or luxury cars to be found.

I chose an Avalon XLE with 11K. Good freeway car, which is what I needed. Sirius inop. No line to exit. ^

Last edited by dayone; Jul 30, 2017 at 5:03 pm Reason: Add model.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.