Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > Hertz | Gold Plus Rewards
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Renting at LAX; What Kind of Cars to Expect?" Thread

Old May 19, 2019, 4:20 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: FlyinHawaiian
January 2021 Update, courtesy of CalItalian:

Hertz, Dollar and Thrifty are now permanently combined in the Hertz facility until the move in a couple of years to the under construction consolidated car rental facility/garage a mile to the west on the corner of Arbor Vitae and La Cienega.

Returns do not allow agents to check in cars and provide in-person receipts; it has to be emailed. Contracts will not be closed until the vehicle has been sanitized. Be sure to take a photo of your dashboard (fuel gauge/mileage) and any other photos of the vehicle before you leave it in case there are any issues.
Print Wikipost

Consolidated "Renting at LAX; What Kind of Cars to Expect?" Thread

Old May 9, 2017, 4:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by IPI
Are non Hertz loyalty program members allowed to use the ultimate choice at LAX?
Thanks in advance!
My assumption is no, you'll be assigned to the Midsize row and can pick from only that. (Assuming you've booked a Midsize, of course.)

I am assuming that based on the fact that a Midsize row exists. Gold (and above) members should never be assigned to the Midsize row (since they'll be assigned to the Gold or higher rows), so logically, the only reason a Midsize row exists is for non-Golds.

But Hertz Gold Plus Rewards is free to sign up for, though, so there is no reason you shouldn't become a member and then get access to the Gold row.
Old May 11, 2017, 1:34 pm

Programs: Avis Preferred Plus, National EC, Marriott/SPG Gold, IHG Platinum, Hilton Gold
LAX Prestige Cadillac XT5 or Similar T4 RFAR

I'm planning a road trip to national parks, starting and ending LAX. I'm trying to secure a nice car for the trip. Currently reserved the prestige collection "Cadillac XT5 or Similar T4 RFAR". Anyone familiar with cars under this category? I did my research but couldn't find any information. Seems they just added this category considering XT5 is a new car in the SRX line. Also anyone familiar with the prestige collection at LAX? What might I get if they can't give me an XT5? Thanks!
Old May 13, 2017, 1:04 am

Programs: UA 1P MM, AS MVP G*, SPG Gold, Hyatt Plat, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
Lax, 5 star. Bunch of hyundai and toyotas. 2 kia sedans. And a couple mazda 3s. Nothing that exciting.

Took the mazda cuz i have't tried those before. Not that impressed to be honest and kinda uncomfortable to drive.
Old May 15, 2017, 2:46 pm

Programs: I want to be free! Free!
Originally Posted by Skoore
Looking at hiring a Stingray in LAX for a visit in November. Does anyone know if they are a Coupe or Convertible? The Aussie site lists it as a Convertible, the American site doesn't mention Convertible but has a picture of one.
They'll probably tell you they don't have any and try to get you to take a worse car without any kind of compensation.
Old May 31, 2017, 9:31 pm

Programs: IHG Diamond Elite, Hilton Diamond, Hertz President's Circle
Hertz President's Circle LAX

Just got back from picking up a vehicle at Hertz LAX.
Reserved C for $98 per week w/ AAA PC and CDP for 2 weeks.
Was able to drive out with a Cadillac Escalade with 7K miles. I like large SUV's.

There were some nice choices today in regular President's Circle. It was pretty packed and being restocked as I was there. Not many customers.
Multiple Chevy Camero SS Convertibles
Three Mercedes SLK 300's
One Mercedes SLC 300.
Multiple Ford Expeditions including one with 5 miles on it. I would have chosen that but the Cadillac Escalade has a premium package in it which the Ford Expedition did not.

A Porsche 911 was in the upgrade area.

I know this is a slow week but the Hertz agent at the gate, who I know, mentioned to me how nice the vehicles in PC have been this week.
Old Jun 2, 2017, 8:54 am

I´m interested in getting a convertible from LAX.
Anyone know what kind of convertibles they got in LAX right now?

I would like to get a Mustang, looks nice and has a big boot for luggage even when the roof is down.
Old Jun 6, 2017, 2:54 pm

Originally Posted by Maick
I´m interested in getting a convertible from LAX.
Anyone know what kind of convertibles they got in LAX right now?

I would like to get a Mustang, looks nice and has a big boot for luggage even when the roof is down.
I don't know, but from my experience the rental Mustangs are awful. Terrible handling cars, the rentals never have the big V8s (at least in my experience), bad rear visibility, and the doors seem to be about 11 feet long, so if you park next to another car you can barely open it.
Old Jun 20, 2017, 1:22 am

Programs: A3 Gold, AA Platinum
Any educated guesses on which time of day has the better choice for PC members?

I'm arriving at LAX early in the am (7-8am) on a Thursday, so my thinking is that I'll be ahead of the weekend rush (this is the Thursday before the 4th of July weekend) - but I might be too early to have access to the nicer cars picked up earlier in the week by business travellers returning them Thursday night?

Trying to adjust my expectations here. While I'd be happy with virtually any comfortable-ish car, something like a Jaguar XE/XF, Q50/Q60 or MB SLC/SLK would definitely be more than welcome.
Old Jun 23, 2017, 2:12 pm

Originally Posted by Henrik C
Any educated guesses on which time of day has the better choice for PC members?

I'm arriving at LAX early in the am (7-8am) on a Thursday, so my thinking is that I'll be ahead of the weekend rush (this is the Thursday before the 4th of July weekend) - but I might be too early to have access to the nicer cars picked up earlier in the week by business travellers returning them Thursday night?

Trying to adjust my expectations here. While I'd be happy with virtually any comfortable-ish car, something like a Jaguar XE/XF, Q50/Q60 or MB SLC/SLK would definitely be more than welcome.
The times I have seen the PC area most packed with vehicles as of late has been after 2 PM until 6 PM. Prior to 9 AM, it's hit and miss. Thursday AM there are still a lot of vehicles out for business customers.

When it was just Gold Choice, I use to come between 8 and 9 AM and found the best variety of vehicles but that has changed now. As a Los Angeles resident, I ONLY rent at LAX. I live about 9 miles away.
Old Jun 25, 2017, 2:11 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Friday afternoon, around 4pm.

PC lot had mostly mid/full size vehicles, plus :
* Subaru Outback
* Several (maybe 6?) Chevy Camaro, both coupe and convertible
* A few Mustang convertibles
* A few SUVs. Didn't take any notice of what, but not anything special
* 2 Infiniti Q60 (3.0t AWD!)

The area was basically full, and they did seem to be bringing in new cars as soon as one left.
Old Jun 27, 2017, 8:59 pm

Tuesday, June 27, 2017 about 5 PM.

Not great in President's Circle LAX today. About 1/3 full of vehicles, if that.
Just ONE SUV (which I got) and two Camero convertibles. Everything else was F or lower. I spent about almost 20 minutes with the vehicle before I left and did not see even one vehicle moved into President's Circle. Plenty of employees around the lot, though.

The SUV I got was a (T6) Ford Expedition Limited - full leather, updated entertainment system and retractable running boards - with just over 2000 miles. Made my day since I am on an AAA midsize (C) rate w/ coupon for $115/week. Just over $155 w/ all taxes and fees.

At exit, only two gates were open, also. Resulting in lines of 15 or so vehicles per lane.
Old Jun 29, 2017, 11:12 am

Programs: National EE
Originally Posted by aCavalierInCoach
They'll probably tell you they don't have any and try to get you to take a worse car without any kind of compensation.
They were new 2017 Stingray convertibles in march. Unfortunately Hertz does not guarantee these reservations so there is always a chance they might not be able to honour your reservation.
Old Jul 3, 2017, 3:13 am

Programs: Miles&More Senator
I have a 3-week reservation coming up in late August with Hertz LAX - the car is Convertible (U) SCAR.

What are the chances of getting a Mustang convertible instead of the other cars (we really do not want a camaro...) ?

Lastly, I've been thinking that maybe a convertible wouldn't be the smartest idea if we intend on doing canyons/yosemite/LT + SF and then back to LA - so perhaps getting a hardtop would be better.

Anyone knows what is the availability of Mustang hardtops in the SCAR category at LAX?
Old Jul 3, 2017, 6:12 pm

Programs: SPG Gold, AMEX Plat, Hertz PC, National Executive
Last Thursday (6/29) 9PM
PC lot was full, with choose your color Sonata and Camrys,
All Infiniti and Mercedes C class were parked in the premium upgrades section,
The highlight of the PC lot includes:
1 XTS
1 Avalon
1 Camaro V6 Conv, which I took. Great looking with the RS appearance package.
Old Jul 4, 2017, 12:31 am

Programs: Hertz PC
Any SUV's of any kind? My trip to LAX isn't untill October but I've already got my fingers crossed for a full size SUV (or better).

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.