Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > Hertz | Gold Plus Rewards
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Renting at SFO; What Kind of Cars to Expect?" Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated "Renting at SFO; What Kind of Cars to Expect?" Thread

Search this Thread

Old Sep 16, 2017, 9:35 am

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt LT DM, Wyndham DM, Hertz PC, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
Thursday @ 7pm

Couple 300s and 2 Q50s. I took one of them. Rest was basic stuff you would expect to get as a PC booking a C or D. Was hoping to see more of what others were seeing. All Mercs and Jags were in the reserved or upgrade section.
Old Sep 16, 2017, 10:53 am

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by dinanm3atl
Thursday @ 7pm

Couple 300s and 2 Q50s. I took one of them. Rest was basic stuff you would expect to get as a PC booking a C or D. Was hoping to see more of what others were seeing. All Mercs and Jags were in the reserved or upgrade section.
I was there about 8 hours later (yes, 3am...) and PC had multiple Mercs (SLC300 and at least one other) and Jags (2x XE), an Audi A3, and a few other nice cars that I don't remember (hey, it was 3am!). There were also a number of Hybrid Ford Fusions and a scattering of other full size.

No Infiniti which are my normal option, so I took one of the Jag XE's.
Old Sep 16, 2017, 11:25 am

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt LT DM, Wyndham DM, Hertz PC, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
Should have flown in later I guess
Old Sep 18, 2017, 9:02 am

going to be renting from PC this weekend. Given the option (as these seem most likely), would you take a Q50 or an Jag XE?
Old Sep 18, 2017, 12:22 pm

Originally Posted by bangrsnmash
going to be renting from PC this weekend. Given the option (as these seem most likely), would you take a Q50 or an Jag XE?
Have not driven the Jag but have gotten the q50 three times from Hertz. It's fun to drive and very quick. I'd take it personally. It's great to zip in and out of traffic in the area.

I arrive at SFO on Wed at 7pm again this week. Hoping for a Benz or lone Rover hanging around. Only two 'special' cars that have eluded me thus far as PC with the new UC.
Old Sep 18, 2017, 12:54 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by bangrsnmash
Having now driven both (Q50 about 6 times, XE once) I'd take the Q50 in an instant, except if there was a Q60 also on offer in which case I'd take it! The Q50 just feels cleaner and has more powerful (3.0t vs 2.5t based on the ones I've driven, but it feels more than that)

The only issue with the Q60 is that it's damn thirsty (it has a 20 gallon tank, which says something for a 2-door!). The Q50 is also a little more thirsty than the XE based on my one XE rental, but not so much more so.
Old Sep 18, 2017, 1:20 pm

Originally Posted by docbert
Having now driven both (Q50 about 6 times, XE once) I'd take the Q50 in an instant, except if there was a Q60 also on offer in which case I'd take it! The Q50 just feels cleaner and has more powerful (3.0t vs 2.5t based on the ones I've driven, but it feels more than that)

The only issue with the Q60 is that it's damn thirsty (it has a 20 gallon tank, which says something for a 2-door!). The Q50 is also a little more thirsty than the XE based on my one XE rental, but not so much more so.
The turbos in the q50 are real thirsty if you use Sport mode and the go pedal a lot... not that I would know anything about that!
Old Sep 18, 2017, 8:27 pm

Programs: DL PM 0.5MM, Hyatt Globalist, HHonors Gold, SPG Plat, Marriott Gold, Avis PC, National EE, Hertz PC
I had a Q60 AWD from SJC. MPG was worst than a Grand Cherokee. I averaged about 20 in the Q60.
Old Sep 22, 2017, 4:44 pm

Wed around 8pm arrival. Zero 'premium/luxury' cars in the PC Area. It was pick your Fusion Hybrid or Kia Sorento. A few Camrys as well. I took the lone Ford Explorer XLT. Last one I had out of ATL at least had the large screen... this has a tiny screen and usage is terrible but it is the best car sitting there.

I seem to not be having best luck although q50 last time isn't terrible. No Camaros, Vettes and Mercs as has been said.
Old Sep 22, 2017, 11:50 pm

Tonight (Friday) at about 7:30pm the PC area had :

2x Merc CLA250
1x Merc C300
1x Merc SLC300
1x Infiniti Q50
3x Infiniti Q60 (1 AWD)
1x Jag XF
1x Chrysler 300S

Plus a good range of various full-size/hybrids/etc. No SUV's at all.

I took one of the non-AWD Q60's, and I'm happy to say the mileage seems much better than the AWD model.

Last edited by docbert; Sep 22, 2017 at 11:59 pm
Old Sep 23, 2017, 9:31 am
USA

Did you see also the normal 4 door full size cars at the gold area?

If yes, what cars did you seen?
Old Sep 23, 2017, 5:26 pm

Originally Posted by docbert
Tonight (Friday) at about 7:30pm the PC area had :

2x Merc CLA250
1x Merc C300
1x Merc SLC300
1x Infiniti Q50
3x Infiniti Q60 (1 AWD)
1x Jag XF
1x Chrysler 300S

Plus a good range of various full-size/hybrids/etc. No SUV's at all.

I took one of the non-AWD Q60's, and I'm happy to say the mileage seems much better than the AWD model.
I'm just arriving at bad times or something.

Originally Posted by USA
Did you see also the normal 4 door full size cars at the gold area?

If yes, what cars did you seen?
Pick your Kia or Corolla.
Old Sep 24, 2017, 9:18 am
USA

Originally Posted by dinanm3atl
I'm just arriving at bad times or something.

Pick your Kia or Corolla.
Just Kia and Toyota at SFO?

The Corolla is a class below, not a full size 4 door category....
Old Sep 24, 2017, 11:45 am

Originally Posted by USA
Just Kia and Toyota at SFO?

The Corolla is a class below, not a full size 4 door category....
Right but in the standard gold area those cars existed. They could have been Camrys I guess. I didn't inspect them very much.
Old Sep 24, 2017, 10:36 pm

Arrived today (Sunday) at 8am. In addition to the standard mid and full size options at PC, take your pick Q50, one Infiniti mid-size suv which looked really worn, one jag xe, one Audi A4, and one jag xf 35t which I took. Always wanted to drive the xf, and now have a whole week with this baby! It was justed washed, so likely returned earlier that morning.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.