Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > Hertz | Gold Plus Rewards
Reload this Page >

Hertz chaged another 30 euro, 2 weeks after return?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hertz chaged another 30 euro, 2 weeks after return?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 7, 2016, 3:20 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Aeroplan; Marriott Platinum; IHG Platinum; Best Western Diamond
Question Hertz chaged another 30 euro, 2 weeks after return?

I rented a car for a week in Germany. Picked up from Berlin train stn and returned at Frankfurt airport. At the time of return on Sept. 18, they gave me a receipt that was as per original rental condition.

I just checked my Chase Marriott visa and saw a charge of 29.75 euro on Oct. 4 ?!? It's from the same merchant:
HERTZ AUTOVERMIETUNG G
ESCHBORN,

We didn't get any parking ticket or speeding ticket or anything. Drove carefully, no damage, no issue.

What could this charge be? I'm afraid if I call Hertz's N. America number, they may ask me to call Germany to find out. Any suggestions?

Thanks.
Old Oct 7, 2016, 11:42 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

EUR29.75 is the amount of Hertz's administration fee for any issues such as traffic or parking offences

If you contact Hertz Germany, it should be able to explain the exact details for which the charge relates
Old Oct 8, 2016, 6:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by yscleo
....We didn't get any parking ticket or speeding ticket or anything. Drove carefully, no damage, no issue....
Speed camera? There are speed traps with cameras. If this is the case, you will hear from authority in a few weeks.
Old Oct 8, 2016, 7:26 am
Original Poster

I did email to Hertz to ask. Hope they'll respond.
Old Oct 8, 2016, 1:15 pm

The quickest ans surest way to find out will be just to pick up the telephone and ask
Old Oct 8, 2016, 1:31 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
I did email to Hertz to ask. Hope they'll respond.
Email?

Why not call during regular business hours in Germany and simply ask? You will then have an answer and may proceed accordingly.
Old Oct 8, 2016, 5:39 pm
Carlson Contributor Badge

Programs: Hertz & Avis PC; National EE; SPG & Hilton Gold; AC 35K (yawn)
Likely a speed camera or you entered a restricted area of some sort. Where I usually drive (Netherlands) the authorities bill the car owner, not the driver, so Hertz bills me the actual ticket price at the same time. Sounds like Germany may be different and the fine is to the driver.

If it is like Italy, you will receive correspondence from the authorities sometime soon.
Old Oct 12, 2016, 5:56 pm
Original Poster

I'll try to call in coming days, but their business hours is when I'm sleeping.

No response to my email yet, but got a letter today, in German. I typed in the part of the explanation, and used google translation to get:
"As a result of their rent, they were subject to an irregularity. In accordance with our rental conditions, you will be charged for a fee which is independent of the amount of the bus service."
Old Oct 13, 2016, 12:31 am

I think that just highlights the limitations of google translate. I'd find a German speaker and have them explain it to you.
Old Oct 13, 2016, 7:42 am

Programs: Hertz Presidents Circle; SPG Lifetime Platinum; Hilton Honors Diamond
As others have said, you have so far received the admin fee, which is Hertz' "costs" in passing details of the driver to the relevant authority. Depending on what offence it is, you may hear directly or as you are non-native, you may hear nothing more.

Be warned that ignoring anything significant in Germany could make it interesting for you were you ever to return, as you will be challenged at immigration.
Old Oct 16, 2016, 1:48 am

If you post the letter (or the explanation) in German I can try to translate it for you...
Old Oct 16, 2016, 5:34 am

Programs: BA Gold (ex-GGL, maybe future Silver), Hilton Diamond
I'll try to call in coming days, but their business hours is when I'm sleeping.

No response to my email yet, but got a letter today, in German. I typed in the part of the explanation, and used google translation to get:
"As a result of their rent, they were subject to an irregularity. In accordance with our rental conditions, you will be charged for a fee which is independent of the amount of the bus service."
Bussgeld is fine. I imagine that Google Translate has got that confused and it's an admin fee for some kind of parking ticket, speed camera infraction, etc.
Old Oct 20, 2016, 7:44 am

Programs: Delta Skymiles - Platinum; Hertz - President's Circle; Expedia - Gold
In Germany Hertz charges a one-way fee (payable at the return location).
This is either the one-way fee or the bogus fee they bill for supplying the authorities in case of a speed camera (or a parking ticket) violation - you will get that letter in the mail much later
Old Oct 20, 2016, 1:23 pm

There is nothing 'bogus' about the administration fee for replying to the authorities.
Old Oct 26, 2016, 4:27 pm

Programs: Delta Skymiles - Platinum; Hertz - President's Circle; Expedia - Gold
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
There is nothing 'bogus' about the administration fee for replying to the authorities.
Au contraire, it is a 'bogus' fee meaning it is a technical trick to milk a former customer for 30 euros - like an offer one can't refuse.
The actual reporting to authorities costs maybe one euro to the rental company, including postage.

It is okay when applied to a one-time customer, but it devalues Hertz brand in the eyes of loyal customers - and for what, a measly 30 euros?

Quite often, the speeding fine itself is less than the Hertz charge.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.