Community
Wiki Posts
Search

$ 4,456.38 charge for a broken tail light

Search this Thread

Old Oct 2, 2016, 2:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Jesperss
.....So until I have the damage report / estimate fees from Hertz I'm SOL.
Damage Report is the one you, hopefully, filled out when you returned the car to Hertz. Estimate from Hertz can take awhile. It took more than six months for my case which was in Houston.
Old Oct 2, 2016, 3:09 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

This is what they need to proceed:

"Thank you for your recent claim request. We appreciate the opportunity to service your claim request for the Worldwide Car Rental Insurance program provided through your Citibank N.A. issued card.

In order to substantiate your claim request, please provide the following information for review.

Billing Statement
Copy of Damage Report
Copy of Repair Estimate/Fees
Copy of Rental Agreement

All of those you should have. The damage report would have been filled out when you returned the car. You have the rental agreement ( or should be able to download it or otherwise get a copy ) and the details showing that the final charge will be $4,456.38

If you look at the rental invoice , does it include the $4,456.38 ?
Old Oct 3, 2016, 7:00 am
cur

Programs: fwp blood diamond, dykwia uranium
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
All of those you should have. The damage report would have been filled out when you returned the car. You have the rental agreement ( or should be able to download it or otherwise get a copy ) and the details showing that the final charge will be $4,456.38

If you look at the rental invoice , does it include the $4,456.38 ?
estimate and invoice the op will not have until the rental agency provides it which takes a few months.

the rental agrement out of capetown at the top right has the deposit or amount they will take if there's damage, this is half the value of the car

in order to avoid being charged the deposit in south africa: bring a letter from the credit card rental insurance group that demonstrates proof of cover for rental car damage

i use amex and never get charged a deposit. further when they pull this crap after damage is found i do a chargeback with amex, and by the time everything is sorted out, all the paperwork is provided and they charge only what the cost was. so i'm living on the edge sorta. but amex is great for this kinda stuff fyi.

contact [email protected] for car damage related stuff, but for the paperwork and estimates at least out of cpt airport they use a third party to handle claims email [email protected]ons (yes, ".solutions")...maybe email and ask them to step it up
Old Oct 3, 2016, 11:34 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by cur
estimate and invoice the op will not have until the rental agency provides it which takes a few months.

the rental agrement out of capetown at the top right has the deposit or amount they will take if there's damage, this is half the value of the car
In some countries Hertz's final charge is that of the estimate and should be all that the insurer needs in that case
Old Oct 5, 2016, 12:27 pm

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt LT DM, Wyndham DM, Hertz PC, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
I'd be livid over a tail light... to even consider 'holding' 4500 dollars for that. It's a couple hundred dollars and any normal person can install it in the garage with basic hand tools.
Old Aug 4, 2017, 3:04 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
The next day (September 8th) my entire security deposit ( 61,575 RAND / $4,456) was charged to the card.
So until I have the damage report / estimate fees from Hertz I'm SOL.
What was the outcome here? Did you end up paying the entire bill?
Old Aug 4, 2017, 10:03 pm

How did this issue play out?

I would have reported this fraud (attempt) with South African authorities.
Old Aug 5, 2017, 9:43 am

Programs: BA GGL, UA Plat, DL Plat, Hilton Diamond
My cousin had a similar incident (albeit this was in UK).

Having already been stung by the "damage" protection racket, this time he simply went to a motor factor, bought new glass and replaced it himself.

Dropped the car back to Hertz and heard nothing more...

Obviously OP may not have had time or inclination to do this (especially in SA !!), and it no doubt voids the rental contract, but sometimes needs must when driving the Devil's car

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.