Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > Hertz | Gold Plus Rewards
Reload this Page >

Questions/Discussion About Hertz Ultimate Choice Service

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 29, 2017, 6:02 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: FlyinHawaiian
Questions regarding specific locations (eg, "I am Renting From XXX; What Might I Get?") may be moved to specific/dedicated threads for that location. All major airport codes may be searched using FlyerTalk's search engine; otherwise, words in " " quotation marks will bypass the character limit filter.

Overview of Service and List of Existing and Future Airport Locations: https://www.hertz.com/rentacar/produ...ate_choice.jsp

Am I Eligible? Is My Vehicle Eligible?

Q. Who can use Ultimate Choice?
Any member of the Hertz Gold Plus Rewards program is eligible to use Ultimate Choice. The areas you can select from depend on your status in the program (President's Circle, Five Star, or Gold).

Q. What is the minimum booking class to be eligible to freely select cars from Ultimate Choice?
A. You can book anything other than an Economy (A), Compact (B), or Manager's Special (EXAR) vehicle, and be eligible for Ultimate Choice.

Q. What if I book a lower class such as Economy or Compact or Manager's Special?
A. You will be assigned a car from that class (or higher, as a complimentary upgrade) in a marked space.

Q. What happens if I book a Economy or Compact but pick a higher-class car from Ultimate Choice?
A. You will likely be asked to pay the midsize rental rate by the gate agent.

Q. What if I book a Fullsize car but find a lower class car in Ultimate Choice that I like better?
A. You may chose to take it, but you will pay the originally-booked Fullsize rate.

Q. What if I book a Adrenaline/Electric/Hybrid/Luxury/Prestige car or a Minivan/Truck/SUV?
A. You will be assigned a car from that class in a marked space. You can either accept it or chose a car from Ultimate Choice.

Q. Can I use Ultimate Choice for one-way rentals?
A. Yes.

Q. Can I use Ultimate Choice for award rentals?
A. Yes, provided the reservation is for a mid-size car or higher.

Print Wikipost

Questions/Discussion About Hertz Ultimate Choice Service

Search this Thread

Old Aug 13, 2017, 5:05 am
Company Representative - AutoSlash and HotelSlash

Originally Posted by roadrunner83
So what happens if you booked a higher class but it isn't available in the UC line? I know it's rather unlikely but I've heard some very chilling reports of people being charged for upgrades (not from the upgrade lot but from the gold desk) after they didn't get their reserved class (although I do believe there was a little more to the story).

I have an upcoming reservation for an F in BOS, booked long before UC was a thing. I've never used UC since I always had assigned vehicles (convertibles, mainly) but did strole through the Gold UC lot at LAX a couple of weeks ago and was somewhat underwhelmed. Naturally, I didn't expect any convertibles or V8s but it did look like it was 95% intermediates.

Iirc the upsell from an intermediate to a full size was pretty low, 20$ for the whole week or so, but uncompensated downgrades still aren't too high on my list.
The UC section always has vehicles that would be considered up to the fullsize class. If you were to book anything other than a midsize to fullsize car, you would either use the appropriate Gold area for economy/compact, or you would be assigned a specific vehicle.

For example, if you booked a convertible, SUV, premium car, pickup truck, etc. you would be assigned a vehicle in a specific place. You would have the option of taking your assigned vehicle, or instead choosing from the UC area corresponding to your status.

While there have been some reports of people being upcharged in a few cases, those are very much the outliers, and I think it was just growing pains fo the UC service. You definitely do need to double-check your contract, but if you choose something from the regular (non-upgrade) UC area, there should never be an upcharge.
Old Aug 13, 2017, 5:59 am

So, there's really no known official policy what happens if they were to be out of full sizes and somebody with a full size reservation walks in?

I'm familiar with the concept of the eco/compact lodge and the assigned special cars. Maybe I just hit a bad day but what I saw in LAX at the end of may, didn't look very promising.
Old Aug 13, 2017, 6:29 am
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
So, there's really no known official policy what happens if they were to be out of full sizes and somebody with a full size reservation walks in?
In such cases, I have spoken with a Hertz rep at the lot (hopefully at the Gold Desk) and worked out a mutually-agreeable solution. Either my reservation is downgraded to reflect the class of car available, or I am assigned a vehicle from a class that I find an acceptable replacement (SUV, minivan, etc.)
Old Aug 13, 2017, 11:44 am

Programs: BA Gold (ex-GGL, maybe future Silver), Hilton Diamond

I'm familiar with the concept of the eco/compact lodge and the assigned special cars. Maybe I just hit a bad day but what I saw in LAX at the end of may, didn't look very promising.
Even as a regular gold, there should be unassigned F cars in 5* or President's Circle that should be available to give you. You might not get to chose which one, so hello 50k 2015 Chrysler 200, but I wouldn't worry too much.
Old Aug 16, 2017, 9:01 am

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC, National Exec
Originally Posted by Hammer
Wow... so a "$25 upgrade" actually costs you $64... sounds like a bargain!
It's primarily because they're buying the insurance, which is $35/day for the upgraded car, but only $9/day for an intermediate. If you're not buying the CDW, then it would have been around $33/day extra.
Old Aug 17, 2017, 4:41 pm

As a Gold Member can somebody just clarify my understanding of Ultimate Choice. If I book an Intermediate, I will have the same choice of vehicles as if I pay extra and book a full size. If that's the case seems illogical for anybody to book the higher class than intermediate.
Old Aug 17, 2017, 5:39 pm
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
As a Gold Member with an Intermediate reservation, you will be directed to take any car parked in the Gold Plus section of the lot. If there's something nicer in the spaces, then yes, you are getting a free upgrade. If you take a car from the Fullsize section, you will likely be upcharged or directed to return the car to where you found it and select an Intermediate.

The real value comes with 5-Star and President's Circle status where there is a dedicated section with (hopefully) a variety of upgraded cars.
Old Aug 18, 2017, 2:26 am
wum

Hello

I have a question regarding UC.

I have a Hertz FFAR reservation at LAX in September. I am a Hertz gold plus rewards member. Will I be able to choose a vehicle ("ultimate choice") with this booking at LAX or will I be assigned a specific car?

Thank you for a feedback!
Rob
Old Aug 18, 2017, 5:03 am

Programs: BA Gold (ex-GGL, maybe future Silver), Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by mco66
As a Gold Member can somebody just clarify my understanding of Ultimate Choice. If I book an Intermediate, I will have the same choice of vehicles as if I pay extra and book a full size. If that's the case seems illogical for anybody to book the higher class than intermediate.
It's illogical for a 5* member or above to book a full size or standard (unless they're somehow cheaper than a midsize).

A regular gold member might get a choice of midsize cars (so if you prefer a Cruze over a Corolla, you get a better overall product) but probably won't manage to get a fullsize if that's what they want. If they do, they're winning, but the price difference is often very small and if they really need the extra space or performance, it's not a gamble worth taking.

Similarly, if a 5* or PC wants a premium or above, including an SUV or minivan, then I'd distinguish between 'wants' and 'needs.'

The best they can rely on getting is a fullsize sedan or midsize SUV - which may be adequate but might not be. There's a decent chance of an upgrade into something much more luxurious, but if a fullsize won't do the job, it's probably still worth paying. If, on the other hand (as is the case for me next week) an FCAR would be adequate but a Jag or Cadillac would be the icing on the cake, I'll book a midsize and hope for something much nicer.

Originally Posted by wum
I have a Hertz FFAR reservation at LAX in September. I am a Hertz gold plus rewards member. Will I be able to choose a vehicle ("ultimate choice") with this booking at LAX or will I be assigned a specific car?
Rob
Both, I believe.

You'll be guaranteed the class you've booked, but as you are in "midsize or above" and someone happens to have left, e.g., an Escalade in Ultimate Choice for standard gold members (and there's more chance of Elvis landing a UFO in the Gold Member zone) then you could take that.

However, unless you really wanted to change from a full size SUV to a Corolla, you'd be unlikely to benefit. If you want to take your chance and save on the rate by booking a midsize then by all means, you can do so - but unless you're President's Circle then you should expect to drive a midsize, or maybe a small-midsize SUV or a full size sedan if you're moderately lucky and seek one out.

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Aug 18, 2017 at 7:18 am Reason: consecutive posts merged
Old Aug 18, 2017, 6:14 am

Originally Posted by Cymro
(and there's more chance of Elvis landing a UFO in the Gold Member zone)
Old Aug 24, 2017, 5:31 am

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt LT DM, Wyndham DM, Hertz PC, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
Ultimately Choice is usually great but if you have one good experience don't assume you will the next time at the same location. It seems to vary wildly. RDU a few months ago got an Infiniti and had the options between a lot of different nice cars.

Yesterday there were literally two cars in the PC area. Kia Optima and 36000 mile Pathfinder which I took. Makes no sense that is the best options they had. There were two c300 Mercs as upgrades.
Old Aug 24, 2017, 6:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by mco66
If you (a regular Gold member) book a midsize, you have access to the intermediate AND the Gold areas.

If you (a regular Gold member) book a fullsize, you will have access to the fullsize area AND the Gold area.

Until you hit 5* or PC, it's probably necessary to book a fullsize if you want to drive a fullsize, since (as mentioned) the Gold area rarely has anything bigger than intermediate. Once you hit 5* or PC, it's less helpful to book the higher class, because the dedicated 5* and PC areas usually have fullsize (or larger) cars in them anyway that you can take for no extra charge.
Old Aug 24, 2017, 6:40 am

Originally Posted by dinanm3atl
Ultimately Choice is usually great but if you have one good experience don't assume you will the next time at the same location. It seems to vary wildly. RDU a few months ago got an Infiniti and had the options between a lot of different nice cars.

Yesterday there were literally two cars in the PC area. Kia Optima and 36000 mile Pathfinder which I took. Makes no sense that is the best options they had. There were two c300 Mercs as upgrades.
I was at RDU a few weeks back and was eyeing an Infiniti Q60 in the PC area. The problem was that the keys weren't in it. I went to the Gold desk and they basically shrugged it off. One of the car runners saw me wandering aimlessly and offered to go get me a similar car, which I of course accepted. Came back with an even nicer one for me. I tipped him a bit for his trouble and left happy. In my case, the PC area was decently stocked, but my point is that if you can grab hold of one of the lot attendants, they can often hook you up. Worth asking.
Old Aug 24, 2017, 8:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by AutoSlash
I was at RDU a few weeks back and was eyeing an Infiniti Q60 in the PC area. The problem was that the keys weren't in it. I went to the Gold desk and they basically shrugged it off. One of the car runners saw me wandering aimlessly and offered to go get me a similar car, which I of course accepted. Came back with an even nicer one for me. I tipped him a bit for his trouble and left happy. In my case, the PC area was decently stocked, but my point is that if you can grab hold of one of the lot attendants, they can often hook you up. Worth asking.
LOL...I'm a bit evil in this regard, but I'll often grab the keys out of the first car I see that piques my interest, and then I'll go wander the lot looking for something even nicer. The selection at MSP a couple months ago was interesting enough that I had keys to three cars in my pocket at one point before I went back and put the keys to the cars I didn't want back. (I only had the keys out of the cars for a matter of maybe 2-3 minutes at most, but I still felt slightly guilty--but only slightly. )
Old Aug 24, 2017, 8:37 am

Originally Posted by jackal
LOL...I'm a bit evil in this regard, but I'll often grab the keys out of the first car I see that piques my interest, and then I'll go wander the lot looking for something even nicer. The selection at MSP a couple months ago was interesting enough that I had keys to three cars in my pocket at one point before I went back and put the keys to the cars I didn't want back. (I only had the keys out of the cars for a matter of maybe 2-3 minutes at most, but I still felt slightly guilty--but only slightly. )
Yeah I later found out that the guy who wanted that Q60 without the keys wasn't a Gold member, so he took them inside to see if he could negotiate for an upgrade. Pretty similar situation.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.