Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > Hertz | Gold Plus Rewards
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Renting at LGA; What Kind of Cars to Expect?" Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 16, 2020, 11:16 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: FlyinHawaiian
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Apr 13, 2017, 6:40 pm
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums
Original Poster

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz

Originally Posted by seawolf
LGA is in the list for Q2 2017.
Looks like LGA is now operational. I had a booking for Sunday but decided to pick up my car in town instead. Now, LGA is sold out, so I guess someone else will need to file an initial report.
Attached Images  

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Jun 24, 2017 at 7:41 pm
Old Apr 13, 2017, 8:15 pm
Company Representative - AutoSlash and HotelSlash

Originally Posted by FlyinHawaiian
Looks like LGA is now operational. I had a booking for Sunday but decided to pick up my car in town instead. Now, LGA is sold out, so I guess someone else will need to file an initial report.
I picked up a car at LGA today. It's pretty much a standard UC setup. There were a few decent SUVs in the President's Circle area but nothing that exciting. I had an FCAR reservation and picked from the 5* section where a Kia Sportage with about 5K on the odometer was the most appealing thing I found. My second choice was a Cruze Premium, also with low mileage, but the SUV was better for my needs.
Old Apr 14, 2017, 4:31 am
Original Poster

LGA Follow-Up

Thanks; most times, I will be happy with a small SUV for a C/Midsize reservation but it will be nice to get a nice car (for example LTZ trim on a Chevy) now and then if I can find one.

How is the lot laid out now that there's Ultimate Choice? Are they using any of the Gold Canopy spaces or is it all on in the open area?
Old Apr 15, 2017, 12:35 pm

Programs: United 1K, Hilton Diamond, National Executive Elite, Hertz President's Circle
How is the lot laid out now that there's Ultimate Choice? Are they using any of the Gold Canopy spaces or is it all on in the open area?
Yes, the PC area is where the Gold Canopy was. When I went for pick-up on the inaugural day on April 11, the only PC cars they had were closest to the building.

Actually, I was disappointed with the first day it was rolled out at LGA and think they missed the mark. Granted, my pickup was for 4pm, so maybe it was better earlier in the day. In the PC area were only 8 cars:
• Camry SE (x2)
• Rav4 (x2)
• Journey
• Optima
• Rogue
• Sentra

For upgrade, they had 2 CLA 250s and a Corvette convertible. The sign behind these vehicle stated $35/day.

For comparison, I took a trek over to National and on the Executive Aisle were:
• Mustang Convertable
• Pacifica
• Impala LT (x2)
• Impala Premier
• Journey (x4)
• Camry SE (x3)
• Outlander
• Altima (x2)
• Caravan (x2)
• Sorrento
• F150

For upgrade they had a Q50 ($75), Q30 ($75), Navigator ($100), and x5 ($75), which would have been given at no charge with current promo.

Here's hoping the Ultimate Choice gets better at LGA in the future.

For what it's worth, Chicago PC area had CTSs, XTSs, Escalade, Freelanders, 300s, Jaguar XE, Q60s, Q30s, etc. this week. I took the Jaguar XE which unfortunately isn't much to write home about.

Random question, do any of the Hertz locations carry the CT6?
Old Apr 18, 2017, 11:32 am

Programs: SWA CP, HH Diamond
LGA - Not so ultimate choice

Picked up from LGA on 4/14. Here is my experience with "Ultimate Choice"

Arrived around 12AM. Went to counter, had a very friendly conversation with check in agent. He directed me to the midsize section of the lot and said I could take anything in that row (500's). In order from left to right, it had:
- Kia Forte
- Toyota Corolla
- Hyundai Sonata
- Toyota Corolla
- Hyundai Elantra
- Kia Forte

Naturally, I was pleased to be able to pick the larger Sonata and proceeded to the exit.

Once at the exit, without even saying hello - the agent looked up my reservation and told me "You're going to have to pay more for that, it's not a midsize."

I explained the concept of ultimate choice. She radioed her manager and said "There is some guy here who reserved a mid size but wants a full size". Manager said I would have to go in and pay more. I politely protested a bit more and said it was clearly in the midsize section. She rolled her eyes at me and said "please just put it back where you found it and get the car class you reserved. I asked the manager and don't know what else to tell you"

At that point, it was well past midnight and I realized I was not going to win this battle. I reversed out of the gate and returned it back to it's spot and hopped in a corolla. Not a word was exchanged with the CSR at the exit.
Old Apr 18, 2017, 12:32 pm

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC, National Exec
Originally Posted by bkco88

Arrived around 12AM. Went to counter, had a very friendly conversation with check in agent. He directed me to the midsize section of the lot and said I could take anything in that row (500's). In order from left to right, it had:
- Kia Forte
- Toyota Corolla
- Hyundai Sonata
- Toyota Corolla
- Hyundai Elantra
- Kia Forte

Naturally, I was pleased to be able to pick the larger Sonata and proceeded to the exit.

Once at the exit, without even saying hello - the agent looked up my reservation and told me "You're going to have to pay more for that, it's not a midsize."

I explained the concept of ultimate choice. She radioed her manager and said "There is some guy here who reserved a mid size but wants a full size". Manager said I would have to go in and pay more. I politely protested a bit more and said it was clearly in the midsize section. She rolled her eyes at me and said "please just put it back where you found it and get the car class you reserved. I asked the manager and don't know what else to tell you"

At that point, it was well past midnight and I realized I was not going to win this battle. I reversed out of the gate and returned it back to it's spot and hopped in a corolla. Not a word was exchanged with the CSR at the exit.
Ah, yes, the quality experience that is Hertz LGA.
Old Apr 18, 2017, 9:07 pm

Originally Posted by bkco88

- Kia Forte
- Toyota Corolla
- Hyundai Sonata
- Toyota Corolla
- Hyundai Elantra
- Kia Forte

Hertz has never been known for their customer service.

I would take photos of the cars in the spots before leaving.
Old Apr 20, 2017, 12:14 pm

Programs: United 1K, Hilton Diamond, National Executive Elite, Hertz President's Circle
LGA on Monday evening around 8pm the PC area had:
• Nissan Rogue
• Chevrolet Cruze LTZ w/Leather and over 12,000 miles and a nice smell
• Dodge Journey
• Toyota Camry base model
Old Apr 20, 2017, 12:31 pm

Originally Posted by jackal
Most oddities like this are much better explained by rate management departments that have incorrectly programmed their computer systems than by any intentional discrepancies. It's hard-baked into the rental industry's mindset that "bigger is always a more desireable upgrade." After 1.5 decades of experience in and with the industry, I have never once heard anyone in management or rate management or any of the rate management consulting companies or anything ever indicate that pricing a smaller car class higher is ever intentional.
Don't get me wrong, I don't think anybody sat down and said something like, "for a three day rental at LGA starting on January 12th, let's make Premium cheaper than Midsize." It's rather that very complex pricing algorithms can interact in weird, unpredictable ways. In that sort of situation, I can imagine it's some combination of inventory levels, what corporate renters can actually rent (often doesn't include Premium, even if it's cheaper), competitive activity, etc. etc. etc.

As you're in the industry, any idea why the Hertz website, if you select "Show Me All," doesn't actually show all, but rather often lists a number of vehicles as "click here for a quote"? Is it that burdensome to actually calculate the additional prices?
Old Apr 20, 2017, 1:05 pm

Originally Posted by AutoSlash
It would take no extra effort on the part of IT to calculate and show all of the prices. It probably has to do with steering you to what they want you to book rather than the least expensive option (as many customers want). It's all about revenue/inventory optimization.
I guess, but sometimes the list of what they show and don't can be really random. Wouldn't they WANT to show me high-end vehicles, since I might think "hey, if it's only $X more, maybe I will take that Land Rover?"

I just pulled a random weekend at LGA, and selected Show Me All. It's showing me the whole Prestige Collection, and a bunch of SUVs, but the ABCDF are all "Select for Quote." OK, I guess that makes sense, make me click through for the regular cars, but show me the higher-end stuff. Why, then, is the S4 (Infiniti QX80), which is part of the Prestige Collection, listed as "Select for Quote"? It seems completely random. Similarly, it's showing a price for L, but not for L4. Really just bizarre, there doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to it.
Old May 8, 2017, 4:24 pm

Originally Posted by dinanm3atl
There was an SS in the PC UC section? Wow..
Seems to be quite common for some reason. Look above, I've had one twice.

Also have seen the RS Convertible in both LGA and ORD multiple times.
Old May 11, 2017, 5:45 pm

Upon return at LGA today I saw a Cadillac XT5, Chevy Malibu, Chevy Impala and some other non-exciting vehicles. The yellow RS Convertible was in the upgrade slot.

At my pickup time earlier this week there were Camrys, a Q60, a few 300s, and some other non exciting vehicles. In the upgrade slots were 2 Q50s, a QX70 and something else that I don't remember.
Old May 14, 2017, 5:03 pm
Original Poster

LGA this afternoon had a mix of Kia and Hyundai SUV, FCAR sedans, and an Impala. The stars was an Infiniti Q70, Cadillac CTS, and Cadillac ATS. I took the ATS - it''s a 2017 AWD base model labeled as a YI. It has 9,000 miles on the odometer and MA plates.
Old May 14, 2017, 5:52 pm
Company Representative - AutoSlash and HotelSlash

LGA this afternoon had a mix of Kia and Hyundai SUV, FCAR sedans, and an Impala. The stars was an Infiniti Q70, Cadillac CTS, and Cadillac ATS. I took the ATS - it''s a 2017 AWD base model labeled as a YI. It has 9,000 miles on the odometer and MA plates.
Sounds much better than what I found on Fri aft. Was that 5* or PC area?
Old May 14, 2017, 5:53 pm
Original Poster

This was for the PC area (the old Gold Canopy side).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.