Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > Hertz | Gold Plus Rewards
Reload this Page >

Questions/Discussion About Hertz Ultimate Choice Service

Old Mar 29, 2017, 6:02 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: FlyinHawaiian
Questions regarding specific locations (eg, "I am Renting From XXX; What Might I Get?") may be moved to specific/dedicated threads for that location. All major airport codes may be searched using FlyerTalk's search engine; otherwise, words in " " quotation marks will bypass the character limit filter.

Overview of Service and List of Existing and Future Airport Locations: https://www.hertz.com/rentacar/produ...ate_choice.jsp

Am I Eligible? Is My Vehicle Eligible?

Q. Who can use Ultimate Choice?
Any member of the Hertz Gold Plus Rewards program is eligible to use Ultimate Choice. The areas you can select from depend on your status in the program (President's Circle, Five Star, or Gold).

Q. What is the minimum booking class to be eligible to freely select cars from Ultimate Choice?
A. You can book anything other than an Economy (A), Compact (B), or Manager's Special (EXAR) vehicle, and be eligible for Ultimate Choice.

Q. What if I book a lower class such as Economy or Compact or Manager's Special?
A. You will be assigned a car from that class (or higher, as a complimentary upgrade) in a marked space.

Q. What happens if I book a Economy or Compact but pick a higher-class car from Ultimate Choice?
A. You will likely be asked to pay the midsize rental rate by the gate agent.

Q. What if I book a Fullsize car but find a lower class car in Ultimate Choice that I like better?
A. You may chose to take it, but you will pay the originally-booked Fullsize rate.

Q. What if I book a Adrenaline/Electric/Hybrid/Luxury/Prestige car or a Minivan/Truck/SUV?
A. You will be assigned a car from that class in a marked space. You can either accept it or chose a car from Ultimate Choice.

Q. Can I use Ultimate Choice for one-way rentals?
A. Yes.

Q. Can I use Ultimate Choice for award rentals?
A. Yes, provided the reservation is for a mid-size car or higher.

Print Wikipost

Questions/Discussion About Hertz Ultimate Choice Service

Old Apr 5, 2017, 8:52 am

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC, National Exec
Originally Posted by returnoftheyeti
Booking a F car will get me into this magic Ultimate Choice area?

Off topic, but looking to pick up in SAN and drop in BUR, the reservation total does not show a one way fee, is that accurate?
You need to book an intermediate/midsize or above, so F will certainly qualify.

As for one-way fees, Hertz typically builds them into the rate that's quoted to you, so if the total quote is $xyz, then the total should be $xyz.
Old Apr 6, 2017, 9:55 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM
Originally Posted by TGIF
Was anyone else successful getting NeverLost charges removed? Is it worth taking the risk if the cars in the PC area with NeverLost are better than the options without?
I know you want others to chime in, but here are my additional thoughts:

- it seemed very much like a discretionary removal of the NeverLost GPS charge by the CSA.
- I doubt it would be easy to repeat if it should happen again. Likely a once-off thing.
- I find this quite annoying and bordering on deceptive practices by Hertz.
- ESPECIALLY annoying if the vehicle has built-in GPS anyway.
- if you have the time, you could ask right then-and-there as you drive out whether you can have the charge removed. At least that way you know upfront if you are charged or not.
Old Apr 7, 2017, 9:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by Red Scorpion
Ultimate Choice was never going to give more of us more upgrades for free, but in terms of giving the customer greater choice without having to go and ask, I think it works.
Exactly. That said, National's implementation for Executives and higher has been pretty good with regard to having a variety of nicer-than-reserved options in their aisles. Hertz appears to be trying to match National's product, though they haven't quite dialed it in at all locations yet.

Still, it's leagues better than the old Gold Choice option, which was never once in 100+ rentals ever useful to me, since it was just crappy midsize or smaller cars (not useful when I'm renting FCAR/PCAR).
Old Apr 10, 2017, 4:21 am

Originally Posted by JHnguyen93
I will agree with you there. It's not quite where it needs to be but it's worlds better than what it was before. I like this model much better and hope PHX (my main rental location) picks up UC soon.
Should be any time now. I recently started getting "HERTZ PHX NOW OFFERS ULTIMATE CHOICE(TM). YOU CAN PICK YOUR CAR" in the "Warning Messages" section of my reservations.
Old Apr 11, 2017, 11:46 pm
Original Member and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM/MM, AA ExPlat, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia, National ECE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Red Scorpion
Ultimate Choice was never going to give more of us more upgrades for free, but in terms of giving the customer greater choice without having to go and ask, I think it works.
Based on my one experience as well as some of the reports in this thread (e.g., this one, this one, this one, this one, this one, this one, and this one) I don't believe this is true. It absolutely still appears to be hit or miss, but based on the anecdotal evidence in this thread I believe there will be more hits than there were previously.

In the past month I've also seemed to have gotten some solid upgrades on non-UC rentals at airport locations (QX80 on an L4 reservation at DTW and a fully-loaded Buick SUV (whatever that Chinese made one is) on a mid-size reservation at LGA), but maybe that's just a small bit of good luck.
Old Apr 15, 2017, 6:21 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, AA Plat, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Glob, IHG ♢ Amb, Hilton ♢, Hertz Pres
For UC to work - do you need to rent a mid-size or higher? Or will a compact reservation suffice?
Old Apr 15, 2017, 7:17 pm

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt LT DM, Wyndham DM, Hertz PC, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
Optima is not a bad car. I'd be happy if I paid midsize and got that car every time. However first roll out likely low on cars(at 4pm too).
Old Apr 17, 2017, 8:05 am

Originally Posted by TravelinSperry
For UC to work - do you need to rent a mid-size or higher? Or will a compact reservation suffice?
Midsize (aka intermediate) or higher.
Old Apr 17, 2017, 8:16 pm

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt LT DM, Wyndham DM, Hertz PC, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
When did Hertz start really having a lot of Infinity?
Old Apr 18, 2017, 9:32 am

Originally Posted by dinanm3atl
When did Hertz start really having a lot of Infinity?
Seems like it started to pick up about a year ago.

Nissan hasn't made it a secret that they're focusing on fleet sales as a way to drive growth.

http://www.autonews.com/article/2017...ng-fleet-sales
Old Apr 18, 2017, 11:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by bkco88
I explained the concept of ultimate choice. She radioed her manager and said "There is some guy here who reserved a mid size but wants a full size". Manager said I would have to go in and pay more. I politely protested a bit more and said it was clearly in the midsize section. She rolled her eyes at me and said "please just put it back where you found it and get the car class you reserved. I asked the manager and don't know what else to tell you"
I haven't been challenged yet, but I assumed that's what the hang-tag was for. At least my first UC rental had a hang tag that clearly indicated what section my car was parked in; I haven't really paid attention on my subsequent experiences to see if the hang tag was properly marked. But assuming it was marked, the hang tag should quash any argument from the exit gate person.

IIRC National is meticulous about always having properly marked hang tags in vehicles. I don't know if Hertz is quite there yet...
Old Apr 19, 2017, 9:30 am

Programs: SWA CP, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by jackal
I haven't been challenged yet, but I assumed that's what the hang-tag was for. At least my first UC rental had a hang tag that clearly indicated what section my car was parked in; I haven't really paid attention on my subsequent experiences to see if the hang tag was properly marked. But assuming it was marked, the hang tag should quash any argument from the exit gate person.

IIRC National is meticulous about always having properly marked hang tags in vehicles. I don't know if Hertz is quite there yet...
Jackal, good point. They are new to this, for sure. CSR's unprovoked attitude was inexcusable though.

This was one time I was forced to rent from Hertz - I'm a frequent National renter. I've picked up BMWs/Audis for the mid sized price with no questions asked. This experience did not do anything to draw me back to Hertz.
Old Apr 19, 2017, 1:28 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum & 2MM, Marriott Lifetime TIT, Hertz Pres Club, IHG Gold, *A Gold
How is midsize or higher defined? I have a reservation for L class and am PC. Am I eligible for any upgrades at LAX? What I might like is a Suburban (T6).
Old Apr 19, 2017, 3:19 pm

Originally Posted by CO-PLAT
How is midsize or higher defined? I have a reservation for L class and am PC. Am I eligible for any upgrades at LAX? What I might like is a Suburban (T6).
L is definitely higher. However as a 5 Passenger SUV if they don't have any Caddy/Infiniti or similar 5 passenger SUVs in the PC area they might assign you a specific car.

RDU coming up for me. C(Inter/Midsize) is 30 dollars cheaper pre-paid than D(Standard). Seems odd but booking the standard shouldn't bar me from the PC section UC... correct?
Old Apr 19, 2017, 3:42 pm

Originally Posted by dinanm3atl
L is definitely higher. However as a 5 Passenger SUV if they don't have any Caddy/Infiniti or similar 5 passenger SUVs in the PC area they might assign you a specific car.

RDU coming up for me. C(Inter/Midsize) is 30 dollars cheaper pre-paid than D(Standard). Seems odd but booking the standard shouldn't bar me from the PC section UC... correct?
You mean D is cheaper than C, right?

In any case, D qualifies you for UC.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.