Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > Hertz | Gold Plus Rewards
Reload this Page >

How long does it take Hertz to post miles to airlines?

Old Jul 11, 2001, 8:03 pm
Original Poster

On average, how long does it take for Hertz to post miles to your airline program? I am going on seven weeks, and Hertz says that it "can" take up to eight. That seems a bit ridiculous.

I understand that it could be the airline's fault (with processing), but the airline (in this case) has no record of receiving the miles.

As an aside, I have written and called Hertz Frequent Traveler Services. They were not very helpful, and will not contact the airline on my behalf.

Is this typical of Hertz?
Old Jul 11, 2001, 10:07 pm

Location: CLT, NC USA - US Chairman's, Hilton Gold, Hertz Gold Five-Star
4-6 weeks, if ever. They are the worst. I get my miles about 50% of the time. Given that they usually only give you 1 mile per $, it isn't worth the hassle for me to call and pester them when they don't post.
Old Jul 12, 2001, 4:09 am
Original Poster

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by nbkob74:
4-6 weeks, if ever.</font>
In Hertz-speak that is not exactly reassuring. What do you mean you only get your mileage 50% of the time?

In addition the mileage snafu, I am not at all impressed with the #1 Club Gold service. I might be a little more tolerant about the miles if Hertz provided a great service product, but in my experience, they do not. I may as well go back to Alamo where I know what to expect, and have my miles post within days.

Any other experiences?
Old Jul 12, 2001, 7:39 am

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/Forum79/HTML/000143.html
Old Jul 12, 2001, 12:22 pm

My Hertz rental last month posted to my Delta SkyMiles account 14 days after the rental. Of course, your frequent flyer mileage may vary!
Old Jul 13, 2001, 7:00 am

Location: Meerbusch, Germany, Amex Centurion, SPG Plat, LH FTL,, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Gold
Hertz is really the worst. Most time, often there is no proper credit to the airline account. Last time, I had to ask 5 times by email -- no reply. The 6th time they said: We did credit then and then, ask your airline. Very funny. Thank you Hertz. Forget Hertz.
Old Jul 13, 2001, 10:59 am

I always end up writing a letter to Hertz w/a copy to the airline--they are really the worst about posting. Also, #1 Gold Club doesn't seem to be worth much. In Phoenix and Idaho Falls we had to go inside, stand in line and check in just like everyone else--returning the car was also the regular procedure. Is anyone at Hertz listening???
Old Jul 13, 2001, 4:13 pm
Original Poster

Well, this informal sample appears to confirm what I have been thinking about Hertz all along...

Given the choice between Alamo, Avis Preferred Select, or National Emerald Club, what are your thoughts?
Old Jul 14, 2001, 2:06 pm

Location: MCI. AA Plat, UA PrmEx., Mrrtt Gold, Hz Pres.Circle, HHonors Gold
Service varies by location, and that's true for all car companies. For big airports, #1 Club Gold and Emerald Aisle are usually the fastest from gate to road. Part of the reason is that Hertz and National usually operate more buses than Alamo, Dollar, Thrifty, Avis, etc. In places where car renters board a shared (airport owned) bus (e.g., DFW, MSP), I also consider Quicksilver by Alamo a decent product. My only problem with Alamo is that a lot of locations do not dedicate personnel to serving Quicksilver members, meaning that if you don't like the car that was assigned to you, it's either stand in line or tough cookies.

As far as FF miles go, I'm still waiting for some AA miles to post from Hertz from a month and a half ago. I only want the fifty miles or whatever for the partner promo.

Generally, you are better off with Hertz ZE1 points or Budget's Perfect Drive points. Not only do you earn five to seven times more value per dollar than FF miles, but the points actually post quickly.
Old Jul 16, 2001, 2:42 pm

Location: SLC, UT/ Delta - PM; Marriott - PM; Hilton - Gold; Hyatt - Diamond, Hertz - President's Circle
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by nbkob74:
4-6 weeks, if ever. They are the worst. I get my miles about 50% of the time. Given that they usually only give you 1 mile per $, it isn't worth the hassle for me to call and pester them when they don't post.</font>
I found this to be true of my Hertz miles. It made me crazy trying to follow if they had been posted and trying to track them for weeks and even months. I found a great solution! I now have Hertz give me Marriott points instead of miles.

This has been great for me. I get plenty of miles, as many of you do, and the one mile for $1.00 really didn't add too much to my bottoms line. However, I get 500 Marriott Rewards points for each rental. Since most of my rentals tend to be for 24-48 hours, I am getting much better value and, earning hotel stays instead of more mileage.

Just a suggestion
Old Jul 17, 2001, 8:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM-3MM United Gold-MM Marriott Lifetime Titanium Hertz President's Circle
lele14,

I did the same thing. I had pretty good luck getting Delta miles posted most of the time, but 500 Marriott points are simply worth more on my typical short rentals.

Bruce
Old Jul 17, 2001, 8:42 pm

Location: CLT, NC USA - US Chairman's, Hilton Gold, Hertz Gold Five-Star
I guess I will try the Marriott points idea. It couldn't hurt.
Old Aug 2, 2001, 3:26 am
Original Poster

Well, after nine weeks, two letters and two phone calls, my miles [i]finally[i/].

The lingering memory that I will have from this is the inefficient customer service that I received. In my view, customer service is just as the important as the product they provide; I will no longer be renting with Hertz.
Old Aug 2, 2001, 7:31 am

Programs: IHG Diamond, HH Diamond, BW Diamond Select, Accor Silver, Marriott Gold
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by dsimon:
Well, this informal sample appears to confirm what I have been thinking about Hertz all along...
</font>
I've found Thrifty and various hotels (esp. Holiday Inn) to be just as poor at credited airlines points as Hertz.
Old Aug 2, 2001, 11:31 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM, Hertz PC, Marriott Platinum/Lifetime Gold
Maybe I am the only one who doesn't seem to have trouble waiting for my miles to show up? I had three rentals last month ... and they all showed up on my UA statement (on the web) before the month was out!! The only time I've had to wait more than six weeks for credit to materialise was for rentals in my hometown, Dublin, Ireland. There, Hertz is a franchisee and perhaps a little slow. I'm not banging the drum here for Hertz at all, as so many posts indicate a systemic slowness in posting miles. But it seems I may be one of the lucky few receiving miles on a timely basis!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.