Hertz Foreign Websites

Old Feb 10, 2016, 12:14 am
Original Poster

Hertz Foreign Websites

1) I am coming from Australia to the USA in Jun/Jul this year. I am looking to get a 1 way rental with Hertz from PHX to LAX.

I am hiring a convertible and have found that the price on the UK website is considerably better than the Australian website for the same dates.

Is there anything prohibiting the booking of a vehicle via a Hertz website from a country that you do not reside in? I doubt they would check but is there anything in the terms and conditions?

2) I am meeting a friend who does reside in the UK a few days after I pick up the vehicle. Will I be able to register him as an additional driver or does he need to be present at the time of pickup?

Thanks
Old Feb 10, 2016, 4:09 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I can see nothing anywhere these days that would invalidate booking from the UK site. At one time it did say country of residence but has not done so for a long while

You should be able to register him later if you go into a Hertz office
Old Feb 11, 2016, 8:18 am
Original Poster

Thanks, I just called them and unfortuneately was told that you do have to be a resident of the countries' website through which you book.
Old Feb 11, 2016, 8:56 am

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC, National Exec
Originally Posted by sammow
Thanks, I just called them and unfortuneately was told that you do have to be a resident of the countries' website through which you book.
I'm a US resident, and I've rented many times in the US, using non-US Hertz sites, and never had a problem. The staff have never batted an eye.
Old Feb 11, 2016, 11:48 am

Originally Posted by sammow
There is nothing specifying this that I can find defined in terms, plus the site no longer refers to country of residence

You may choose not to book through the site, but I would not be at all worried

For it to be able to rely on such a term, it would have to make it reasonably clear that this rule exists
Old Feb 11, 2016, 12:41 pm

I am from Germany and have also rented many times with bookings made through the Finnish, Dutch or French site, because they have far better prices.

Never had any problem with that.
Old Feb 11, 2016, 7:13 pm

From Australia, I rented in December out of LAX via the French site, and out of DFW via the UK site
Old Feb 13, 2016, 1:02 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Although I do not believe it would be a problem, it's worth keeping in mind that non-US websites normally including CDP in the price of the rental.

Even if there's no issue with picking up the car, that doesn't mean that there wouldn't be a problem if you had to make claim. Given that Hertz don't appear to actually list residency as a requirement I can't see this being a problem, but for example Avis actually make you tick a box to certify that you are a resident of the country you've selected, which could potentially be more of a problem...
Old Feb 13, 2016, 5:13 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
The language that used to be on the website was about either residency in the country or being in that country at the time the reservation was made (and that Hertz could require proof that you were indeed in that country on the date the reservation was made).

I can't imagine how they could have enforced the latter.
Old Feb 15, 2016, 4:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
I do believe it's essentially an insurance issue - in terms of what insurances are included and how much the others cost.
Old Feb 15, 2016, 10:36 am

Originally Posted by lhrsfo
I do believe it's essentially an insurance issue - in terms of what insurances are included and how much the others cost.
There are rates that are offered in certain countries that are not offereed elsewhere - it is not just an insurance issue, the rates can be very different depending on which country site is used
Old Feb 15, 2016, 11:05 am
Suspended

If you have a prepaid rate I think it will reprice the booking. If you choose the pay later option it can work but be sure you have the exact same cover on Uk or other website it sometimes may differ. As soon as you don't have any wrong info on your booking you are ok, but if you put for instance a false adress you might get in trouble if for any reason you need to use some insurances..

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.