Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Does Hertz honor glitched rates?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 7, 2016, 10:45 am

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC, National Exec
Originally Posted by juggar
So remind me how renting an SUV for $400 a month is better than just buying one and paying less monthly and just selling it a year later for maybe no loss (if you got a good deal).
If you find a place where you can buy a brand new QX80, drive it as much as you want, not have to carry comprehensive insurance, and then sell it a year later for only $4800 less than you paid for it, let me know. But quick, that dealership is going out of business really soon.

Originally Posted by juggar
Seems ridiculous to rent a car for that long. Hell I bought a '98 AWD explorer for $1000 that can do everything those SUV's do and more.
Yes, there's absolutely zero difference between a 17 year old Explorer and a new QX80. None at all. <eyeroll>
Old Apr 7, 2016, 11:30 pm

Originally Posted by cestmoi123
If you find a place where you can buy a brand new QX80, drive it as much as you want, not have to carry comprehensive insurance, and then sell it a year later for only $4800 less than you paid for it, let me know. But quick, that dealership is going out of business really soon.

Yes, there's absolutely zero difference between a 17 year old Explorer and a new QX80. None at all. <eyeroll>
Well yeah it might marginally make sense if you manage to get a QX80 but then even Amex insurance won't cover that rental because it's more than 30 days or because it's worth more than 50k.

I guess you'd just rent it and pray you don't wreck or damage it. Or pay the fee for hertz damage waiver.

What's funny is the explorer gets similar MPGs and is actually more capable off road. Granted I'm very handy with a wrench, most aren't so I see the appeal of renting a car and letting hertz deal with repairs and all that.

But wow that QX80 is a serious guzzler. The one guy said 5000 miles a month. If we assume that he gets 18 MPG combined (generous) then that's about $763 in premium gas ($2.75). Now your at $1162 a month just to drive the thing(not including insurance). I don't know how that makes financial sense over something like a turbo escape. Excessive.

Last edited by juggar; Apr 7, 2016 at 11:42 pm
Old Apr 30, 2016, 1:26 am

Programs: Hertz Gold PC, AAdvantage Platinum, United Premier 1K, HHonors Gold
I spotted a $55/week rate for a Q4 out of HVN a week ago (FCAR was $440) and picked it up today. Manager confirmed it was a glitch and said a few others had picked up on it, but let me keep the rate. Maybe it's Hertz's penance for the one way rip-off out of JFK

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.