One way fee refund

Old Nov 28, 2015, 3:16 pm
Original Poster

Programs: SK*G, BA Gold, IHG Plat AMB
One way fee refund

Can anyone clarify the following for me. Looking at a reservation from the UK site, for a one way rental. Collecting in NYC, returning to MIA.

Rental Duration

1 Week at 229.63 GBP
229.63 GBP
6 Extra Days at 32.80 GBP
196.80 GBP

Included in the rates

Airport concession fee recovery
Included
Loss Damage Waiver
Included
Tax
Included
Liability Insurance Supplement
Included
Customer Facility Charge
Included
State Rental Surcharge
Included
Energy Surcharge
Included
One way fee (payable on return of the vehicle)
750.00 USD
Unlimited Free Miles Included

Vehicle Subtotal
1043.39 GBP

Pay Now
426.47 GBP
Pay at Location *
616.92 GBP
Total *
1043.39 GBP

Am I correct in my understanding that as long as I return the car in Miami, the 750 USD is refunded? Making the actual total cost just 426?

The 750 USD doesnt correlate to 616.92 so its confusing me. Any ideas?
Old Nov 28, 2015, 3:27 pm

No. It says you pay the one-way fee when you return the car in Miami.
Old Nov 28, 2015, 3:33 pm
Original Poster

What sort of exchange rate are they using there then?!?! 750 usd today is around 500 gbp!
Old Nov 28, 2015, 3:42 pm

Probably an approximate exchange rate or something.
Old Nov 28, 2015, 5:08 pm

It will not be refunded to what i know. its the one way charge for dropping off at a different location.
I was also charged a one way rental fee when i dropped off at a different location.
Old Nov 28, 2015, 5:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Mattyb44
One way fee (payable on return of the vehicle)
750.00 USD.....
USD 750 one way fee payable when you return to MIA. You can avoid the fee by returning it back to NYC.

What sort of exchange rate are they using there then?!?! 750 usd today is around 500 gbp!
It is USD 750 plus taxes and fees which can well be 20%+.@:-)
Old Nov 28, 2015, 7:36 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

The $750 is payable at the point when the vehicle is returned to Hertz

It reads that you have selected a pre-pay rate where the rental cost is GBP426.47 and the drop fee is $750 (616.92 GBP)

If you go ahead with the booking , you will be charged GBP426.47
When you return the car at the designated location , you will then be charged an additional approx GBP 616.92 ( which is the $750 plus taxes )

At the end of the rental you will have paid approximately 1043.39 GBP , though this may fluctuate based on exchange rates

Originally Posted by TerryK
It is USD 750 plus taxes and fees which can well be 20%+.@:-)
The taxes have been taken into account with the converted value of GBP 616.92
Old Nov 30, 2015, 3:07 am

I would suggest you use a CDP that waives one way fees if you are entitled to the CDP.
Old Nov 30, 2015, 4:24 am

Or do this trip in late Sept or early Oct, when Hertz and the others offer the FL drivein. See other threads for how to combine this with European insurance inclusive rates.
Old Nov 30, 2015, 8:58 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Auto Enthusiast
Or do this trip in late Sept or early Oct, when Hertz and the others offer the FL drivein. See other threads for how to combine this with European insurance inclusive rates.
Flights already booked from the UK into JFK, so dates are fixed. Will try to have a dig around for the above, as initial searches didnt show me anything useful!
Old Nov 30, 2015, 12:22 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Flights already booked from the UK into JFK, so dates are fixed. Will try to have a dig around for the above, as initial searches didnt show me anything useful!
Do any of the other rental agencies have vehicles without a drop fee or a significantly lower fee whilst still including LDW/LIS ?
Old Dec 9, 2015, 5:35 am

Programs: BA GGL, UA Plat, DL Plat, Hilton Diamond
Apologies for hijacking this thread, but I have a very similar question.

My Hertz rental is one way from LAX to SFO, on a Pay at Location basis.

My online confirmation does not show any amount for one-way fees, but does have the following statement:

One-way rental confirmed. We acknowledge that you intend to pick the vehicle up at one Hertz location, and return it to a different Hertz location. Any costs applicable to this are listed under Drop Fee in your reservation details, and are payable at the location

So I called Hertz CS to ask them where I find "Drop Fee $0" or something similar actually written down so that I can take it with me to wave under the agent's nose at pick-up / drop-off (many years of renting cars has made me cynical in the extreme )

According to CS:

(a) the rental cost ($250 for a full-size for a week) includes the Drop Fee, which if true I think is a fantastic bargain

(b) "If it's not listed on the reservation, then we don't charge it" :O

Personally, I expect a Hertz person at one end of my journey or the other to suddenly produce a bill for several hundred dollars, but we shall see...
Old Dec 9, 2015, 6:12 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
As always, read the contract you are asked to sign. Usually these days, it's all electronic and there is an agent in front of you and a line of people behind you, glaring. But, it's your money.

You don't need to read everything, but the key financials ought to be right up front. Look for the one-way fee and if's there and isn't $0, that's a problem. It's what you sign for that counts.
Old Dec 9, 2015, 6:35 am

Programs: BA GGL, UA Plat, DL Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Often1
As always, read the contract you are asked to sign. Usually these days, it's all electronic and there is an agent in front of you and a line of people behind you, glaring. But, it's your money.

You don't need to read everything, but the key financials ought to be right up front. Look for the one-way fee and if's there and isn't $0, that's a problem. It's what you sign for that counts.
Well, yes, but it's precisely in readiness for that conversation that I wanted a printout of my orginal reservation showing $0 ... because the cynic in me knows that at the desk, the contract will say $n where n is a 3-figure number

So what do I do then ? Reject it and walk to San Francisco ? Or accept it and try to claim it back later ?
Old Dec 9, 2015, 3:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

Originally Posted by Fitch
Originally Posted by Often1

Well, yes, but it's precisely in readiness for that conversation that I wanted a printout of my orginal reservation showing $0 ... because the cynic in me knows that at the desk, the contract will say $n where n is a 3-figure number

So what do I do then ? Reject it and walk to San Francisco ? Or accept it and try to claim it back later ?
If there's no drop fee listed in your confirmation, and if Hertz told you that the rate quoted is for a one-way rental, then I'd be surprised if you found anything different in your rental contract.

However, since this is a California rental, what are you doing about third-party liability insurance, since Hertz is not required to provide any to you?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.