Community
Wiki Posts
Search

YUL - pick up car day after reservation?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 18, 2014, 12:53 pm
Original Poster

YUL - pick up car day after reservation?

I am having trouble reserving a car to travel from Montreal airport to Mont-Tremblant (less than 90 miles away!) - I just want the car for the day with a morning pick up and an afternoon drop off. It shows sold out for the 22nd of December (yes, I know I am coming to this late in the day!) which is the day I need it, but if I book it with a pick up on the 21st and return on the 22nd, I get the reservation (at a crazy price, but that's another story ...)

Here's the question - we arrive the evening of the 21st and are staying at the in-airport hotel that night. What are the chances I can go the Hertz counter, "pick up" the car, but leave it in their lot and then go actually pick it up the next morning? We're coming in from overseas, so I don't want the fuss of picking it up and then having to drive it over to an airport lot to re-park it and then get back to the hotel. The whole idea of staying the night was to be able to come in late but then crash and start fresh in the morning.
Old Dec 18, 2014, 1:04 pm

So you want to rent a car to drive from YUL to the resort in? Because that still means you need to drop off the car at the rental office in Tremblant, which is not at the resort but about 15 minutes away. Then you get to find you way back in a town where there are few taxis.

Why don't you get the airport bus door to door and save the hassle?

If you pick up the rental when you arrive just move it to the regular lot or the hotel lot. The Aloft or Marriott or Hilton are right there. The airport lot is right where the rentals are, moving it a few hundred yards is no work at all.
Old Dec 18, 2014, 1:23 pm
Original Poster

thanks, Bogwoppit - sounds like you know Tremblant pretty well - it's hard to get info. The reason we were thinking of renting the car for the day was that the bus is pretty pricey at aabout $100 per person, and we are three, and I wasn't sure if it would drop us at our hotel (the Quintessence). We would also have to cart our gear to the bus. My husband volunteered to drop the car back at the local airport and taxi it back. Sounds like I may be creating a lot more work to save $100. Other downside, though, is first bus is 12:30, so we will lose half a day of skiing ...
Old Dec 18, 2014, 1:40 pm

Great hotel choice by the way. You will love it. Wonderful location and the best hotel, by far, at the resort. By staying there you will get access to their concierge, who is wonderful. They also own an SUV and will more than likely pick up your hubby at the rental drop off.

[email protected]

For 3 of you you are just about in the price range for a limo from YUL to the resort. This is the company I use. Email them, they speak great English, ask for a quote. Usually it is about $300 inclusive.

http://www.limousineexpress.ca/site/...ont-tremblant/

By the way the "local" airport at Tremblant is not actually in Tremblant. It is close to an hour by taxi. Check it out on google maps. There are a few car rental places in Tremblant, but actually in the St Jovite sector that is 15 mins to the resort. You will pay a one way drop off fee more than likely.

For me I would just bite the bullet and get a limo. It will cost the same as the shuttle for three of you. They will do door to door and handle your bags for you.

Feel free to message me if you want other local info.
Old Dec 18, 2014, 1:44 pm

Also all airport hotels are not created equal. Some of the hotel shuttles take FOREVER to get there.

The Airport Marriott is by far the best as it is part of the terminal. If you chose a different hotel take a taxi to save yourself the stress.
Old Dec 18, 2014, 2:00 pm
Original Poster

thanks for the extremely useful information - it's been hard to get details for Tremblant generally. I will contact the limo company, which for sure seems the way to go if it really is at $300 or so - the hotel quoted us $750, and the resort car service seems about the same, so it seems more like $300 PER PERSON even though you have the whole car anyway! Maybe if I call instead of deal with the website ... Otherwise, perhaps the bus is best afterall - we will have to drag our stuff back into the terminal to get it, but with luck there are some carts. We are indeed staying at the Marriott "in terminal" which with luck is not too long a walk. I am not sure on the other end whether it will drop us off at the hotel. I suppose if not then the hotel might kindly send the shuttle for us. This was supposed to be an easy family ski trip, but getting a little complicated on the logistics! Haven't yet worked out how to get to Quebec City from Tremblant after our skiing, and then from there to Montreal for New Years ... that's the current plan, but may change. At least I have hotels! And there seems to be snow ...
Old Dec 18, 2014, 2:17 pm

Maybe they meant $750 round trip? The hotel may be getting a nice kick back too. Email direct or call the company I gave you. They are very responsive.

Even by taxi the calculator comes out to $221.

http://www.worldtaximeter.com/montreal

Even on ridebooker I get it to $370 to the resort, and I find them a little pricier than direct.

http://www.ridebooker.com/transfers?from=220&to=227

Lots of carts at the airport, right by the baggage carousels. Free, take as many as you need. You can take them all the way to the hotel quite easily.

The Marriott is great. Nice bar for a post flight drink.

The shuttle at the Tremblant end stops a a few points, but I understand the drivers are pretty flexible.
Old Dec 18, 2014, 2:19 pm

Skiing is quite good for the time of year. Hubby was up there today. Decent coverage and more forecast for this week.

Quebec City from Tremblant is a pain to be honest. Basically you have to go to Montreal and then take the train (only three a day) or a bus (way better than you think and they run often).
Old Dec 18, 2014, 3:19 pm
Original Poster

thank you a million times over for the helpful advice. I'm looking forward to the trip and to the skiing - I don't know if my daughter is more excited about skiing or trying poutine, and ditto my husband, only about local beer - I also just found out about beaver tails - good thing we'll be doing some exercise! Looking forward also to sightseeing in Montreal and Quebec City, even if the latter is difficult to get to. I think I will adjust our plans slightly to come back down to Montreal for a night, up to Quebec City by train/bus and then back down to Montreal before we leave.

thanks again - you've been really helpful - logistics can make or break a trip, no matter how great everything else is.
Old Dec 18, 2014, 3:28 pm

Mmmmm poutine. Love that stuff. Try many kinds, in Montreal Le Banquise is THE place to go for it.

Le Trois Brasseurs in Montreal is also great for beers as is Benelux. But if your daughter is under 18 some bars will not ket her in. Sad but true.

Make sure hubby goes the Le Brasserie Diable at the Tremblant resort. Great little microbrewery. They serve food so your daughter can go too. They also serve poutine. The Beaver tail place is right there too. THose things are wickedly good.

Maple taffy on snow is must try too, you can buy this at the base of the mountain opposite the candy store.

Quebec City is probably my favourite place on earth. So very beautiful in the winter. Make sure you skate at the Place Youville at night, it is like a fairy tale. Take the ferry to Levis and back, a cheap way to pass some time and see the old city from a unique angle. Imagine the army trying to scale the escarpment in winter. Eat at Le Cochon D'ingue in the QUartier Petite Champlain, great food. Also Pain Beni for a nice dinner out.

In Montreal the Pointe a Calliere museum is wonder for kids who love history, my kids also love the Redpath and the McCord museums.

Logistics make s great trip even better. You will have a blast. QUebec is a pretty cool place.
Old Dec 19, 2014, 2:48 am

Programs: UA, AA, BA, National EE, Hertz President Circle, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, IHG Plat, Marriot Silver
does Hertz even have a location in Tremblant ?
Old Dec 19, 2014, 6:25 am

https://www.hertz.ca/rentacar/location/YTMO22

Kind of. It is at the airport. Which as I said upthread, is nowhere near the resort or Tremblant. There used to be one in town, but I guess they relocated for the poor tourist s who got suckered into thinking the airport was closer.
Old Dec 19, 2014, 7:59 am
Original Poster

bogwoppit - you are the best! I am printing out your recommendations and putting them in my travel file - if you're around in Montreal over new years, maybe I can buy you a beer (or poutine or beaver tail)?! You've been really helpful.

I booked a car, and indeed it is $305 for all three of us for a taxi and $385 for a limo. Interestingly if you go on line via the resort site, it's about that per person!

If the Administrator is reading this, maybe you can move this to the Canada forum, as we not only veered pretty far off topic, but the information in this thread is like GOLD for anyone trying to get to Tremblant from YUL.
Old Dec 19, 2014, 8:01 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by fresar
does Hertz even have a location in Tremblant ?
I've been learning the hard way on this one! Besides the airport distance bogwoppit mentioned, a lot of the car agencies when you put in Tremblant offer you the Hotel Mirage in Blainville. I though, ok, that must be nearby, but actually it's not far outside Montreal proper from what I can tell, so no help at all if you are looking to return a car in the Tremblant region...
Old Dec 19, 2014, 3:19 pm

Wow Blainville is a good hour from the resort and is only just north of Montreal. No way is that any kind of option for Tremblant.

Very glad you got a decent rate for transport. Door to door makes the most sense for me and it is the same price as the bus in the end.

I am actually lucky enough to live pretty close to the resort, so will be hanging around here for NY.

Hope you have an awesome trip. Feel free to ask for other ideas.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.