Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > Hertz | Gold Plus Rewards
Reload this Page >

Living off earned Reputation that does not exist anymore

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 10, 2014, 2:54 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Platinum, Hertz PC, National EE

This was not my only crazy experience with them this year, this is the one that finally broke it for me.

I am a PC member and I rented an intermediate car out of BWI. I got to my designated spot and parked was a Dodge Avenger (which i have had bad experience with it and i just don't like them in general). Nothing in the gold choice lot and when asked for an upgrade i was told that this was an upgrade and they had nothing else. So i took the car, but after looking at it, the fender above the wheel was sticking out and the bumper was damaged so told them and i left. Upon driving the car on the highway i noticed the center console was broken and would not latch, hit the brakes at high speed and the whole car would shake badly and then the next day it rained and everytime from a stop i would accelerate the car would spin the tires. At this point i was just beyond pleased. I decided to get back to the counter early and asked to speak to the manager, she promptly told me sorry and gave me a 10% coupon off on next rental (only good their) and told me she could not do anything else and gave me the 1-800 number to call them. I called them and they promptly told me i would have to speak to the manager at the site, told her i did and she kept repeating that and for my trouble's she gave me 50 points into my account. I then decided to write an email and between sending that and getting a response (1.5 weeks later) i received 2 survey's to fill out on the quality of my experience, needless to say i filled those out with bad reviews. When i get an email response back, very apologetic about my experience and gave me 675 points for my trouble.

Now to be honest i don't really care about the points, what i wanted that i never got was an explanation on why a car like that would be out there in the first place and how can a 4 year old Dodge Avenger be considered an upgrade. Maybe I am missing something but those points were never addressed which is what i clearly asked them when i spoke to the manager and CS agent.

They don't follow their own policies and procedures and then to make a complaint and get an answer was like pulling teeth. So done with you Hertz!!

I got so fed up with the responses i got, National status matched me to Executive Elite and I have not looked back, nothing but great experiences with them so far.
Old Dec 12, 2014, 1:39 pm

Location: Pleasant Prairie, WI USA DL FO (until 2/04), NW silver '03, NW gold '04+'05 Plat '06+ (thanks, Leo!), DL SkyClub
Programs: DL Plat/ Million Miler, AS, Hilton, Marriott Bonvoy, Piggly Wiggly Pig Points
I have noticed a significant decline as well and more attempts at deceptive practices. People need to post and post and post about this crap and follow up with complaints to appropriate authorities. Seems like a pattern is developing. Hertz used to have exemplary service. Now that is the exception rather than the rule.
Old Dec 13, 2014, 5:26 pm

Programs: DL Plat, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat, Hertz Prez Circle, National Exec
I always found BWI to be one of the worst Hertz locations. There only idea of an "upgrade" is to give me a minivan or SUV and I got lots of high mileage, beat up, barely cleaned cars. I've switched over to National in the past year and the difference is marked. I'll still rent from Hertz every once in a while to keep my points from going away. But that's it. Especially out of BWI.
Old Dec 15, 2014, 9:37 am
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

As a European PC member, I too have started to notice that I am being treated and especially customer service is not helping at all with lots of response that makes me look to be the victim and that they are actually doing me a favor.

2 recent incidents which I reported (both rentals in Europe).
1. Leeds airport - waited at the counter for nearly 30 mins since no documents were prepared. Found out that they did not upgrade me so asked about it - and was told I needed to wait another 20 mins. I said forget it, I was in a rush. Later after driving 10 miles, fuel level dropped and took a photo for claim later - wrote all these problems to customer service, was told - upgrades are not always guaranteed even for PC members, for the fuel I was given the fault for not calling or going back to the station to exchange the car. I was so pissed off with the agent writing to me requested a supervisor to answer my concerns.
2. in a city in Netherlands - provided a car smelled of smoke - but no other cars available and they did not want to give me another upgrade. Again, after only about 20 miles, 1/8 of fuel dissapeared (highway driving) - reported them to customer service - and shockingly they told me since I got a car reeking of cigarette smoke, they will refund me the 1/8 fuel (since I showed evidence).

Previously I never had such bad customer service - but these days it seems to that they are doing me always a favours and not showing genuine service to the customer.

Sadly I don't have much choices to change since my company has some good one way rate with them which I use rather frequently- but still sad sad sad.
Old Dec 15, 2014, 3:51 pm

Hertz is just horrid anymore. Last 3 weeks rentals in Houston, no 1 class upgrade for PC member.
Old Dec 16, 2014, 4:31 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
No good experiences here either:

- ATL: 2012 Altima with 58,000 miles and a Check Engine Light
- MIA: 2013 Impala with 30,000 miles, a tire pressure light, and torn seats
- PBI: Computers down, given a Camry and a handwritten contract. Fuel gauge was on 7/8s and the woman at the exit gate didn't believe me and insisted I get out of the car so she could sit behind the wheel

Honestly, it's easier for me to just rent with Alamo or Dollar or whomever is cheapest. At least I know what to expect with those guys.
Old Dec 18, 2014, 4:54 am

Programs: UA, AA, BA, National EE, Hertz President Circle, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, IHG Plat, Marriot Silver
Originally Posted by boshog
Hertz is just horrid anymore. Last 3 weeks rentals in Houston, no 1 class upgrade for PC member.
in those days you just gotta be happy that you got a car
Old Dec 18, 2014, 8:06 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
I've almost completely abandoned Hertz. It's fallen into the 2nd tier group of agencies in my experience. If they're significantly cheaper than Alamo, then maybe. If they're equal, the rental experience is more reliable and likely to be hassle and delay free at Alamo or even Dollar.

I'm still milking a status-matched President's Circle status, but I've seen absolutely no benefit from having it. It doesn't lead to meaningful upgrades. National Exec Select is far superior and you reach that level at approximately the Hertz 5-star level.

Kind of sad...my first few years renting cars frequently were in the 1990s when Hertz was King. I loved it and got to know the people at a couple different locations very well. Service was great and even though my corp rental was almost always a Taurus/Sable, they were clean, new cars almost all of the time. I'm shocked at how badly this company has been mismanaged into what it is today.
Old Dec 22, 2014, 12:40 am

Programs: UA, AA, BA, National EE, Hertz President Circle, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, IHG Plat, Marriot Silver
Originally Posted by pinniped
I've almost completely abandoned Hertz. It's fallen into the 2nd tier group of agencies in my experience. If they're significantly cheaper than Alamo, then maybe. If they're equal, the rental experience is more reliable and likely to be hassle and delay free at Alamo or even Dollar.

I'm still milking a status-matched President's Circle status, but I've seen absolutely no benefit from having it. It doesn't lead to meaningful upgrades. National Exec Select is far superior and you reach that level at approximately the Hertz 5-star level.

Kind of sad...my first few years renting cars frequently were in the 1990s when Hertz was King. I loved it and got to know the people at a couple different locations very well. Service was great and even though my corp rental was almost always a Taurus/Sable, they were clean, new cars almost all of the time. I'm shocked at how badly this company has been mismanaged into what it is today.
unfortunately,its so correct
Old Jan 5, 2015, 11:39 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Platinum, Hertz PC, National EE
Originally Posted by pinniped

My dad was a big Hertz guy as well for many years and they rocked, but even he has switched to National now and has not looked back. Their service is great if you pay for Platinum but if you don't then there is no real benefit to rent with them over the others.
Old Jan 5, 2015, 11:56 am

I wouldn't mind if they were particular cheap, but I haven't seen a perceptible price drop to compensate. After 5 years and 80+ rentals, I'm going to try Avis for a few upcoming rentals and see if the grass is any greener.
Old Jan 5, 2015, 2:00 pm

Programs: WN A-List; Hyatt Diamond; Marriott Gold; National Executive
Originally Posted by Kgmm77
I wouldn't mind if they were particular cheap, but I haven't seen a perceptible price drop to compensate. After 5 years and 80+ rentals, I'm going to try Avis for a few upcoming rentals and see if the grass is any greener.
This is what I'm doing, but with National. They matched my 5* over to Executive and now are getting my January business. 4 rentals, 10 days. I'm sure Hertz won't miss me, but it's the principle of the matter.

Sometimes the grass is greener, and sometimes you just find more "manure".

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.