Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > Hertz | Gold Plus Rewards
Reload this Page >

Hertz claims I drove a car 202 miles. On a canceled rental?!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 17, 2014, 10:21 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta PM, Marriott Plat, Hertz Pres

So follow up to my original post here, which long story short i canceled a reservation which turned out to not be registered in the system. After several days of charges hertz finally closed out the reservation. I just got the final bill email, showing my car taken out friday, returned saturday, with 202 miles driven and a total bill of just over $100.

Problem is, I canceled the reservation and never picked up any car. I just got off the phone with the billing department (again) who said she was unable to verify that i didnt take a car. She said she would email the branch and have them investigate and verify my claim and said she would have a resolution within 72 'business hours' (thats a new one).

So now while I wait....I'm wondering how the car could possibly show miles driven, when i never picked up the car?
Old Oct 17, 2014, 10:41 am
mkt

Programs: AA LT PLT; DL GLD, UA nothing, B6 Mosaic; Emerald Club Executive
Dispute with your card.
Old Oct 17, 2014, 11:03 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mkt
Dispute with your card.
Is it worth doing that while they are investigating? Is there any harm in that?
Old Oct 17, 2014, 11:28 am
mkt

Programs: AA LT PLT; DL GLD, UA nothing, B6 Mosaic; Emerald Club Executive
I see no harm in that. It's not a legitimate charge, feel free to dispute.
Old Oct 17, 2014, 12:42 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
On such a small amount, I'd probably give Hertz an opportunity to sort it out. I've had two or three billing issues over the years with them and they've gotten it right after a phone call.

If they'd billed me $10,000...or wrongfully accused me of totalling one of their cars or something...then that'd be a different story. On this one, my guess is that they'll be able to straighten it out pretty easily.
Old Oct 17, 2014, 1:04 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by pinniped
On such a small amount, I'd probably give Hertz an opportunity to sort it out. I've had two or three billing issues over the years with them and they've gotten it right after a phone call.

If they'd billed me $10,000...or wrongfully accused me of totalling one of their cars or something...then that'd be a different story. On this one, my guess is that they'll be able to straighten it out pretty easily.
Well, given this was my 4th call in a week to try to sort it out I'm kinda out of patience. And there was a time (its a thread a few months back) where they did incorrectly bill me $12,000 for a 1 day dream car rental
Old Oct 17, 2014, 3:03 pm

Programs: AA Plat, MR AMB + (LTT) , Hertz PC, UA Silver, HH Gold
screw em, dispute the charge.

but then id change my rental car loyalty.
Old Oct 17, 2014, 10:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by xolinlevh
I just got off the phone with the billing department (again) who said she was unable to verify that i didnt take a car.
Seriously? How about them verifying that you DID take a car?
Old Oct 17, 2014, 11:05 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ijgordon
Seriously? How about them verifying that you DID take a car?
Thats what i wanted to say, but the drone on the other end of the phone didnt sound like she coudl help me one way or the other. But yea, to drive off the lot they have to scan the barcode on the car, and cross check the record with my DL. Neither of which happened....so how the hell......yea.....
Old Oct 18, 2014, 10:10 pm

So follow up to my original post here, which long story short i canceled a reservation which turned out to not be registered in the system. After several days of charges hertz finally closed out the reservation. I just got the final bill email, showing my car taken out friday, returned saturday, with 202 miles driven and a total bill of just over $100.

Problem is, I canceled the reservation and never picked up any car. I just got off the phone with the billing department (again) who said she was unable to verify that i didnt take a car. She said she would email the branch and have them investigate and verify my claim and said she would have a resolution within 72 'business hours' (thats a new one).

So now while I wait....I'm wondering how the car could possibly show miles driven, when i never picked up the car?
are you gold?

was this on or off airport?

I'd assume you were a preprint that they gave to the wrong person.
Old Oct 18, 2014, 11:02 pm

Programs: DL PM 0.5MM, Hyatt Globalist, HHonors Gold, SPG Plat, Marriott Gold, Avis PC, National EE, Hertz PC
Since it doesn't seem like Hertz is willing to help you, I would just file a CC dispute. Just let somebody take care of it so it is less of a hassle for you.
Old Oct 19, 2014, 8:47 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by HoratioXXXXblower
are you gold?

was this on or off airport?

I'd assume you were a preprint that they gave to the wrong person.
Yes gold and MSP airport. I'm curious how someone else could have driven off the lot in it as they scan the car and compare your driver's license at the exit.

Originally Posted by kxc262
Since it doesn't seem like Hertz is willing to help you, I would just file a CC dispute. Just let somebody take care of it so it is less of a hassle for you.
Yea i went ahead and filed. And started renting from Avis this weekend
Old Oct 19, 2014, 7:31 pm

I had this exact same thing happen to me at the LAX Atlantic Aviation FBO. I contacted them after getting a receipt for a charge I had canceled earlier that day after flight plans changed. It took two phone calls and three weeks to get it settled. What I was told when I pressed for an explanation was that same day cancellations don't go through until the following day and so there were effectively two reservations open after they gave my car to someone else. It was eventually sorted out although I wish I would have gotten some sort of apology or something. Not sure if the OP canceled same day, but if so this might explain it. Good luck getting everything sorted out.
Old Oct 19, 2014, 7:54 pm
Original Poster

Angry

Originally Posted by pieperjm88
I had this exact same thing happen to me at the LAX Atlantic Aviation FBO. I contacted them after getting a receipt for a charge I had canceled earlier that day after flight plans changed. It took two phone calls and three weeks to get it settled. What I was told when I pressed for an explanation was that same day cancellations don't go through until the following day and so there were effectively two reservations open after they gave my car to someone else. It was eventually sorted out although I wish I would have gotten some sort of apology or something. Not sure if the OP canceled same day, but if so this might explain it. Good luck getting everything sorted out.
I made the reservation mid day, for an evening pick up (same day). Got a text as i was walking to the my spot on the lot, telling me plans changed, so i canceled from the app right then and there on the Hertz lot. Or so i thought =/ On yours though, did they claim milage driven on your canceled reservation? My receipt shows 202 miles on the car when it was 'returned'. I dont expect them to apologize for this either, they never apologized when they charged me $12,000 for a 1 day rental before....they fixed it....but never admitted it was a mistake.
Old Oct 19, 2014, 9:17 pm

I made the reservation mid day, for an evening pick up (same day). Got a text as i was walking to the my spot on the lot, telling me plans changed, so i canceled from the app right then and there on the Hertz lot. Or so i thought =/ On yours though, did they claim milage driven on your canceled reservation? My receipt shows 202 miles on the car when it was 'returned'. I dont expect them to apologize for this either, they never apologized when they charged me $12,000 for a 1 day rental before....they fixed it....but never admitted it was a mistake.
so, I have to assume you cancelled after the contract was printed

you guys can't have it both ways ---- you can't have a fit when the contract isn't preprinted an hour before you show up and then expect to cancel 3 min before you hop in the car with the contract in it.

that said, this certainly isn't your fault, as that contract should've been pulled and voided, but I'd imagine somebody hopped in that car and drove off before it got pulled.
maybe hung in the wrong car, maybe guy got in wrong car, maybe gate didn't do their job, maybe similar name, etc
bear in mind, I have no idea how things are done there --- just my guesses

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.