Hertz NeverLost Spycam

Old Oct 7, 2014, 10:31 pm
Original Poster

Hertz NeverLost Spycam

I am a regular renter from Hertz (President's Circle). This week after the usual excessive wait for the Hertz airport shuttle, I got into a rental car at O'Hare airport. I immediately noticed the new NeverLost and I was completely shocked to see a camera built into the device looking at me. The system can't be turned off from what could tell. Further investigation revealed that the camera can see the entire inside of the car. I know rental car companies have been tracking the speed and movements of their vehicles for years but putting a camera inside the cabin of the vehicle is taking their need for information a little TOO FAR. I find this to be completely UNACCEPTABLE. In fact, if I get another car from Hertz with a camera in it, I will move our business from Hertz completely. I influence car rentals of many others and I don't think anyone would want to be on camera while they are driving around or sitting at a red light. Given what Hertz has invested in this system, I wonder how much consumer pressure will make them to pull the plug on this. Business is built one customer at a time and they will no longer have me as a customer. What are your thoughts?

Last edited by Rut Dog; Oct 8, 2014 at 11:57 pm
Old Oct 8, 2014, 12:21 am

Put a piece of chewed gum over the camera lens. Problem solved.
Old Oct 8, 2014, 6:44 am

http://anewdomain.net/2014/01/23/nev...magellan-news/
Old Oct 8, 2014, 6:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Interesting video but doesn't mention what the camera is for.
Old Oct 8, 2014, 1:31 pm

Originally Posted by TerryK
Interesting video but doesn't mention what the camera is for.
I believe that the camera is for video chatting with a Hertz rep if you need assistance. It is a pain that these can't be turned off. I had one with a faulty touch sensor so I had to basically drive from Hartford, CT to DC with the system beeping every 5 seconds... And I couldn't really swap out the car as I was very very tight on time...
Old Oct 8, 2014, 1:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
All I know is that if it is anything like HertzAlwaysLost, then we have nothing to fear.
Old Oct 8, 2014, 7:37 pm

There's at least some states where it'd be illegal for them to record with that camera. Chevy's run into this issue with their valet mode in the corvette that was designed to record when you put it into valet mode, and they're having to disable that. So my guess is they're likely not going to be using it to spy on you.
Old Oct 8, 2014, 8:11 pm
Original Poster

The camera and the mic can be turned on remotely by Hertz but they can't be turned off by you. I wish the federal legislators take notice of this and outlaw these types of efforts by corporation to get information about you one way or another.
Old Oct 9, 2014, 6:12 am

Originally Posted by piper28
There's at least some states where it'd be illegal for them to record with that camera. Chevy's run into this issue with their valet mode in the corvette that was designed to record when you put it into valet mode, and they're having to disable that. So my guess is they're likely not going to be using it to spy on you.
Unless they have placed language that allows for this into your contract.
Old Oct 9, 2014, 7:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
It's funny but people give away so much personal stuff via social media, phones, etc. but the thought of a camera tickles a nerve.
Old Oct 9, 2014, 2:20 pm

Programs: HHonors Gold since '02, Hertz President's Circle since '07
Originally Posted by Silver Fox
It's funny but people give away so much personal stuff via social media, phones, etc. but the thought of a camera tickles a nerve.
I suspect it is in part because of social media that people are more sensitive than ever they may be being recorded.
Old Oct 10, 2014, 7:54 pm

isn't there a switch on the top of the upper right corner to turn it off?
Old Oct 11, 2014, 12:24 pm

Originally Posted by HoratioXXXXblower
isn't there a switch on the top of the upper right corner to turn it off?
Not the new NL systems https://www.hertz.com/rentacar/produ...nited%20States

I had one in a LaCrosse and the touch sensor kept sensing something and kept beeping for me... Had another new NeverLost in a Camry - no beeping, but still couldn't turn it off... Tried everything...
Old Oct 11, 2014, 4:22 pm

no, I meant the spycam part
Old Oct 11, 2014, 9:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Marriott 5+ BadgeAccor Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVPG, DL KM, Bee Six, Bonvoy Plat, Avis PC, Natl Exec, Greyhound Road Rewards Z"L
You know, a little post-it note (or the rental contract, even) could go a long way here...

As for the microphone... if the car has Bluetooth then it too has a microphone already built in. And we've been driving these cars (and requesting cars with Bluetooth!) for years.

What are they gonna watch me do anyway? Ask someone on the street for directions? "NeverLost is a failure!"

-J.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.